“Absolutely gorgeous -- as good as it gets.”
Review of Casa Fuster Hotel

Casa Fuster Hotel
Ranked #73 of 513 Hotels in Barcelona
Encino, California
“Absolutely gorgeous -- as good as it gets.”
Reviewed 24 February 2011

I've stayed in some gorgeous hotels -- for example, the Rsmbagh Palace in Jaipur (also a Leading Hotels of the World, which seem to be great). The Casa Fuster is at the very top of my list. When can one stay in a great modernist palace, in rooms with velvet chaises, in a decor of purple, magenta, and gold colors, everything five-star and, to our amazement, affordable. Granted we were here off-season, but everyone on the staff was very accommodating, especially the manager who gave us a great price on a room. Going to the Cafe Vienna on a jazz night is very special; the jazz is top level. The view from the roof terrace is magnificent. The sheets, pillows, amenities. . . swoonable.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (189)
  • Finnish first
  • Turkish first
Nottingham
Reviewed 20 February 2011

My husband & I stayed at hotel Casa Fuster for 2 days in February 2011. We were greeted by the staff and given a host of information of where to go in Barcelona. The room was a available and we checked in straight away. We had a basic room - but we were still very impressed. The breakfast was an excellent buffet choice. The bar prices were a little pricey - but we did go to some bars in the city where they charged more. Overall we enjoyed out stay and would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed February 2011
Hartford, Connecticut
Reviewed 3 January 2011

My boyfriend and I spent three days at this hotel, following a stay at the Palace in Madrid. Since Casa Fuster was rated a 5-star hotel, we expected the same professional service and attention to detail that we enjoyed in Madrid. What a let down! Reception staff (with one exception) were consistently cool and bothered; we had reserved a king bed but upon arrival were told that a room with a king bed was not available; when the ceiling in our (double) room began leaking during a rain storm we asked to be moved, and it took the staff almost the entire day to get us into a new room. We did not eat at the hotel restaurant, but did have drinks in the bar and got a good restaurant recommendation (Bar Mut) from the waitstaff there. As for location, it is a good hike to La Rambla and the old section of the city. If you like to shop high-end and you've been to New York, then the stores in the Casa Fuster neighborhood are nothing special.

1 Thank PJWally
Dutchess County, NY
Reviewed 9 November 2010

We had a very enjoyable stay at the Hotel Casa Fuster. We chose this hotel over the Mandaring Oriental as it is an historic building in Barcelona, designed by one of the great turn-of-the-century architects. It's in a great location (a littel out of the hub bub of the city, but still very accessible), has a great lobby/bar (although even having a water or cup of tea there is incredibly expensive) and a professional staff. My husband and I stayed in a junior suite for 5 nights (room 211 to be exact). When we checked in to our room we were please with the size and amenities. However, the carpet needs a good shampoo and the furniture is already damaged (gouged, dinged, etc). I guess we're pretty picky about that kind of stuff, but it just makes me think they are not keeping up with maintenance. Also, FYI - despite the fact that we were on the 3rd floor (2nd in Spain the way they figure what floor you're on) we felt and heard the subway going under the hotel (our room in particular) - something that's not the fault of the hotel; It's a busy place with meetings and such going on there almost every day/evening. I hope the management sees the importance of keeping the place up as overall it was a nice stay.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank atraveljunky
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 6 November 2010

My husband and I arrived at the Casa Fuster hotel on a pre cruise stay at 10:30 am on October 21. I emailed the hotel that we would be arriving early and were celebrating my husband's retirement and my birthday. After traveling for more than 24 hours we were very grateful the desk manager gave us a room, 304, unfortunately as we entered the room we heard very loud construction, jack hammers and a large crane pile driving outside of our room. We had a construction site right outside our room with no chance of getting any rest. My husband immediately went back to the desk and requested another room, he was told that they could accommodate us at 4:00 and suggested we ride the HOHO tourist bus until that time. We took his suggestion) even though it was cold and rainy and we were exhausted. We returned at 3:30 and were told that the room was still not ready, we were shown alternate rooms by a very nice bellman and he suggested we get something to eat and return at 5:00 when one of the rooms would be ready. We left and went to the hotel recommended tapas bar and returned at 5:00, we were told by the front desk that a room was still not available. At that time we had been awake for more than 30 hours, we told the desk staff that there was no way we could wait for another room, we were not treated with respect, and this was definitely not the service or accommodation that was expected from a five star hotel. I don't think there was ever a room available for us, and sending us off several times was disrespectful and humiliating , we were offered no apology and no solution. At 7:00 am the next morning the construction began again, thank goodness we left on a tour shortly after. The key to the room never worked and someone had to let us in several times, I have a feeling this room wasn't used in a long time. The room was obviously in need of renovation as the carpet in the entry way had holes and was very worn and stained. The bathroom had rust around the tub area, definitely not the standards of a "five star hotel".

To sum it up, my husband and I are retired professionals; we have stayed in many five star hotels for business and leisure. It is hard to believe that a hotel with this reputation could treat clients with such disrespect and offer a substandard room that no one could have slept in due to the construction noise. Construction happens, but the real issue is the way we were treated, telling us to come back in six hours, than two hours and then again and still not finding a solution. We never heard from the desk or management again, no one apologized or attempted to relocate us.

Casa Fuster is definitely NOT a five star hotel, and the rate we paid which included a substandard breakfast was incongruous.

6 Thank Lanz
Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed 30 October 2010

Stayed here for four nights together with my family and we had a true pleasant stay. I have stayed at several “The Leading Hotels of the World” and the Casa Fuster was in no way disappointing and offered even a very reasonable price compare to other full-service hotels in Barcelona and Europe. I would definitely stay here again, even if it should be nice to try the Mandarin Oriental.

I like this place, because it’s both luxurious and modern in a conservative way. The room is comfy, with all amenities you may need and every night we got complimentary water and the excellent chocolate of Enric Rovira (every time I go to Barcelona I visit his shop, in an odd location at Josep Tarradelias 113, but it is a most). The bathrooms are beautiful, luxerious and with an freshness as it was new, even if the hotel is some years old. They provide both morning coats and bathrobes. All over the place there are several things that remember you about the city and the “modernista style.” My family was impressed when I visit Gaudi’s museum that several things of his works actually is in the hotel (I knew it before my reservation), so it’s a great hotel for people that never before visit Barcelona and will use some hours to enjoy the art work of Gaudi and then get a dejavu at their place to stay.

The location is perfect, in a nice and quiet area even if you are in the absolute city center. Several good restaurants and bars around the corner, we had a wonderful dinner at the Moo Restaurant. We never had dinner at the hotel, the restaurant was looking a little bit desolated. Bar Viene is a perfect spot and great service. Breakfast is great and I was impressed how much the staff to attention to details and recognize my request of fried eggs each morning.

Things I would recommend them to do are to get the bell boys up to speed and a deep-cleaning of the carpets in the rooms. They are a little bit shabby and I was happy that the room was provided with slippers.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family
3 Thank KamiltonTraveller
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 October 2010

I took my wife to this Hotel for a 3 night short break for her 40th Birthday. The greeting we had on arrival was fantasic, they made you feel really special and were most helpful. The porter showed us around our room which at first I thought was a little on the small side. We did book a double room but ended up with a twin although the beds are pushed together to form in essence a double. If it is a double you require this might be worth checking before you depart. I wasn't overly fussed about this. The Hotel is located a good 20 to 25 minute walk from what I would call the centre of town and is an easy walk. If this is too far for you I would suggest looking at other hotels. We drank in the hotel bar once and had a beer, brandy coffee and 2 brandy's and got hit for 52 euro, but then it is a 5* Hotel what more would you expect. Overall a lovely hotel and location, staff are fantastic, breakfast was great, rooms a little on the small side but otherwise everything you would expect from a 5* hotel.

1 Thank ShuggieO