“I was not impressed!”

Hotel SB Icaria Barcelona
Ranked #239 of 513 Hotels in Barcelona
Reviewed 11 May 2014

It was ok but would not go back for sure. The receptionist interrupts you to answer your incomplete question, the rooms are not well air conditioned (important for me) and even when they gave me a step up room it was just ok. I paid 182 euros/night, certainly not worth that.

The location is also away from the city center but not far from Port Olympic, which is possibly the only saving grace. I would go anywhere else first, although I have not so maybe other places are just as bad. Not sure

Room Tip: I would ask about the AC if that is important for you. It can be worm and humid in the room! even af...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Jalal A
Ramon A, Director General at Hotel SB Icaria Barcelona, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2014

Dear Jalal A ,
I regret that we haven't been able to completly achieve your expectations. We would be grateful to welcome you back on your next Barcelona visit in order to show you our normally higher level of service.
Kindest regards,

There are newer reviews for Hotel SB Icaria Barcelona

Reviewed 7 May 2014

Travelled with my hubby for an after easter break for 4 nights and 5 days. Total impression of the hotel is great! Loved the interior and rooms are just enough size for a couple with queen size bed. We were given a room by Diego (receptionist) overlooking the poolside were it was quiet. Breakfast bufffet had everything for a satisfying meal! It is just a 2 minute walk to the beach and also a few minutes walk to Port Olympic with lots of restaurants and bar. There is a pick up station Nr. 7 for the city tour bus. Just a few meters from the right side of the hotel is a bus stop nr 41 that brings you to Catalunya, the city centre. It stops just in front of the apple building. For your trip back you can take nr. 41 just a few meters from the Hard rock cafe! Plus nescessities are water boiler together with coffee mugs and condiments to make you a nioce cup of coffee anytime. A safe thats easy to use, a bidet in the bathroom, hair dryer. ( the bathroom interior though could need some modernizing) however it is functional. We will surely return to Barcelona and would love to stay at SB Icaria again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank octotrip
Ramon A, Director General at Hotel SB Icaria Barcelona, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2014

Dear octotrip,
We are so pleased to know that you had a good experience at the SB Icaria. It makes us really happy that you enjoyed our services and facilities and that we met your expectations.
My kindest regards from Barcelona,

Reviewed 7 May 2014

We spent 8 nights at this Hotel over Easter. It is situated within 5 minutes walk to Port Olympic Beach and promenade. This promenade also takes you into Port Veil and then to Las Ramblas.
Great variety on offer for breakfast, lunch and dinner. They certainly catered for all tastes. The pool and gym were very modern; the bedrooms very clean and the staff were extremely helpful and all spoke perfect English.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the pool have a lovely view
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Geraldine D

Dear Geraldine D,
Thank you very much for expressing your opinion, your positive comments encourage our team. We all feel really happy to know you enjoyed your stay at SB Icaria.
Kind regards from Barcelona,

Reviewed 27 April 2014

Stayed at Barcelona Icaria on 31st March - April 4th 2014. Booked directly with the hotel on their website as they had a free breakfast and indoor parking promotion for the period of our stay. The hotel is about a 7 minutes walk to Platja Nova Icaria beach and a pleasant 20 minute walk to Port Olimpic. There is not much around but there is a small shopping centre 5 minutes away with a big grocery store and a few eating places in it. There is also a Macdonald's restaurant near the beach. There is a bus stop where you can pick up 2 buses with regular services to Placa Catalunya in front of the hotel. If you do buy a hop on/off tour bus ticket, there is a hop on/off stop around the corner of the hotel (Cementeri bus stop) 2 minutes away.

Hotel Icaria is a nice hotel (on the modern side) and in a safe and quiet location. The front desk staff are polite, helpful and very professional all of whom spoke very good English. The rooms are spacious and well appointed but most of all very clean. The beds are very comfortable with very good pillows. Very good free internet service is available to guest and Wi-Fi signal is very strong in the rooms. There is a nice outdoor pool with lots of sitting places, loungers and umbrellas. For those that need to use a computer, there are 2 PCs near the reception (sitting lounge) which is free of charge for the guests to use.

The buffet breakfast is good unless you are looking to have brunch instead of breakfast. The restaurant only serves breakfast but why eat in the hotel when there are lots of very good and reasonably priced restaurants at Port Olimpic (a walking distance). I will definitely stay at this hotel when I return to Barcelona.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Alfiesenior
Ramon A, Director General at Hotel SB Icaria Barcelona, responded to this reviewResponded 5 May 2014

Dear Alfiesenior ,
Thank you very much for your kind words that I’ll be glad to extend to all of our team. We all feel really happy to receive your positive feedback since it is really important for us.We hope to have you back again in Barcelona soon.
Warmest regards,

Reviewed 21 April 2014

Great hotel. Great staff. But the music pumped out to the pool area at 7.30 every morning was a bit much. Every morning it started which is not on. We were on holiday and wanting a break, but every morning it started again. Why have that rubbish belting for the benefit of who?
Try to avoid a room looking over the poolside. Really quite out of order.

Apart from that no complaints.
10 minutes from the underground. The beach is 5 minutes away. A walk to the centre takes 30 minutes. Nice room. Very clean. A good location, a wee bit outside the centre, but once you get the idea of where it is, it makes sense.

Thoroughly recommend it. Just stop the pointless music. There is no need for that.

Room Tip: Avoid poolside rooms. Noisy as hell at 7.30. Really not on.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Doughnut00
Ramon A, Director General at Hotel SB Icaria Barcelona, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2014

Dear Doughnut00,
Thanks for taking the time to share your experience and for recommending us. It is always pleasing to receive compliments, specially about our staff. Also let me apologise for our mistake about the music timetables control. Actions have already been taken. We will be looking forward to welcome you back for your next visit to Barcelona.
Kindest regards,

Reviewed 7 April 2014

I stayed at the Icaria for nine nights in late April whilst attending a work conference, held at the hotel.

Having also very recently spent time in five star hotels in Tokyo, Hong Kong, Sydney and Delhi I think I'm reasonably well placed to comment on the Icaria as a four star establishment. Sadly, from the moment I arrived to the minute I departed almost everything about this place screamed two star...

Service - almost non existent. Amenities never ever replaced. Staff opening bedroom doors when the NO sign was hanging. Repeated calls to reception for something to be sent to the room.

Staff - incredibly, and almost without exception, the staff were surly and brusque. I'm struggling to recall a warm smile or anything genuine. The staff seemed unhappy, frustrated and/or bored. I cannot recall a hotel where the service was consistently poor and staff were so uninterested.

Rooms - small, basic and with plenty of areas that need attention. My curtains were hanging off yet despite requests to fix this (to stop the sun flooding in) nothing ever happened. Lampshade was burned and needed replacing. Shower/bath had mould around it. Toilet seat was broken. Furniture was basic - think 70's Ikea. TV had about 70 channels but only one in English (Sky News UK). The bed was actually comfortable but the pillows were strangely lumpy.

Noise - I could clearly hear noise from the rooms above, below and around me. Footsteps and conversations from the corridor were also sadly very clear. The hotel, especially at weekends, had a lot of fairly drunken guests roaming the corridors at all hours. I was woken countless times well into the wee small hours by rowdy, drunken guests.

Air con - bizarre. No matter what buttons I pressed the only outcome was a rise in the temperature. It would regularly creep up to 27 degrees so the only way to fix it was to take the room key out of the slot at night.

Food - very very very average. Breakfast - Fruit never quite looked fresh. The cooked food was far from appetising and colleagues who tried the eggs, bacon and sausages didn't go back for more. The only coffee is from a machine (awful) and the only cereals are corn flakes and Rice Krispies. There are small packets of "muesli" available but these resembled diced carpet tiles - looked awful and tasted a lot worse. Almost inedible. Lunch - salads were nice but the hot food was very disappointing.

Gym - only four machines (bike x 2, treadmill and cross trainer), a Multi weight machine and some free weights. No towels. All machines were switched off when I visited at 10am so I had to ask reception to rectify this. The gym is only open from 8am to 8pm so not ideal for a work out before work.

Location - not really ideal, the area was previously very industrial. Dog mess, litter and graffiti around the neighbourhood. Maybe six minutes to the beach but it's not exactly a beach to spend time on. A few local cafés and restaurants but there are much better closer to town. Plenty of taxis outside and easy to get to the city centre.

All in all ? Nothing at all redeeming about this place and the best bit was leaving. My company had more than 50 people attending the conference with probably half that staying in the hotel. Everyone I spoke with had similar views with absolutely nobody praising it at all. I can only assume that those who praise this place are not regular travellers or have never stayed in a genuine five star hotel. God only knows how the Icaria could pretend to be four star.

Barcelona is an absolutely stunning city, just a fabulous place. However I'd strongly recommend staying somewhere, anywhere other than this dreadful place.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Haggis_Supper
Ramon A, Director General at Hotel SB Icaria Barcelona, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2014

Dear Haggis_Supper,
Thank you for taking the time to comment regarding your recent experience, I appreciate the opportunity to benefit from your feedback. Please accept my sincere apologizes for the maintenance and service failures that you endured during your visit. It seems that everything that could go wrong did. Rest assured that your experience was not up to our usual standards of service and that we will be reviewing it so which corrective actions can be taken.
Yours sincerely,

Reviewed 22 March 2014 via mobile

I stayed for a couple of nights in this modern hotel. It's a little out of Central Barcelona but only a few minutes walk from many restaurants.

However the hotel itself wasn't great. I had to ask for my room to be serviced - no apology. The gym turned out to be a few poorly maintained bits of kit in a basement room. I did see new kit arriving and being put in a room by the pool. No one mentioned that the gym was temporary. I probably just experienced an off time but it shouldn't really happen.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Flyer1960
Ramon A, Director General at Hotel SB Icaria Barcelona, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2014

Dear Flyer1960,
Thank you for taking the time to complete a review. I appreciate the opportunity to benefit from your feedback. We have just upgrade our gym with new machines and reshaping the area. Sorry as during this days the gym was temporary placed in a room and you didn't get the information properly. We never want our guests to leave feeling that their expectations weren’t met and we hope you will someday allow us another opportunity to welcome you back.
Yours sincerely,