“Business hotel”

Ranked #230 of 512 Hotels in Barcelona
Cambridge
“Business hotel”
Reviewed 26 May 2014

Smart, modern business hotel out of town in the new conference area next to Musee Blau. Smart and functional with a swimming pool on the roof half way up on Floor 13. Rooms smart but minimal extras - i.e. not slippers or robe so going to the pool not that easy.
E12/day for internet - hence a drop from very good to average - when will business hotels learn that the internet is as important as electricity, towels or lights?

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
AC_BARCELONA, Manager at AC Hotel Barcelona Forum by Marriott, responded to this review, 28 May 2014
Thank you for your comments. Bath robes and slippers can be provided on request, I am sorry you were not informed of this.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (177)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Haslemere, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 May 2014

I stayed at this hotel with my partner for two nights in order to attend a conference and wish I had stayed somewhere else - perhaps the Hilton just down the road.

Upon arrival the staff seemed somewhat miserable, although checked us in fairly quickly. We were travelling as a couple, yet when we got up to the room on the 11th floor found we'd been given a room with two beds - not a great start as my Marriott Rewards profile and room booking clearly stated my preference is always for a King/Queen bed. Unfortunately when I called down to the reception I was told that the hotel was full and my request for a double rather than twin room couldn't be fulfilled - it might have been nice to have this explained to us when we were checking in!

As for the room - it wasn't the biggest and had fairly dark and somber furnishings with dark wood furniture and floor, which was a little oppressive. The beds were a little hard, the pillows were man-made fibre rather than feather and the bed was made up with sheets and blankets rather than the more normal European standard of a duvet. We both slept ok, but woke reasonably early when other guests started getting up at 6am as you can hear people walking around, taking showers and talking in the hallway as the walls are particularly thin!

Be aware that our room only had one spare power point, behind a chair, which I used to plug my phone into before going to bed. Amazingly, as I found out the next morning, the power to all the plugs, other than the one the TV is connected to, turn off when you switch the lights off!!! There were no tea or coffee making facilities in the room and the €12 charge for in room wi-fi was ridiculous. Free wi-fi was only available in the bar on the 1st floor and the restaurant on the 4th floor.

The bathroom was fine and the shower was very good. The glass sinks are interesting and the golf ball soap was a bit different. The frosted glass door to the bathroom might look nice, but doesn't close like a normal door and doesn't do much for privacy. It's more like a glass screen and certainly doesn't lock. If you're not very familiar with any potential roommate then you soon will be!

On the first morning we missed breakfast as we were told the wrong finishing time by the front desk staff when we checked in. I had to argue the point with the staff in the restaurant, who were particularly rude and uninterested in rectifying the situation until I insisted on speaking to the Manager. We were only 15 minutes late and other guests were still eating, yet they refused to serve us and hurriedly took the remaining food away from the buffet area whilst giving us condescending looks and muttering under their breath! After much complaining the Manager reluctantly agreed to serve us breakfast in the bar area on the 1st floor, which was certainly better than nothing.

The pool area is fairly small and on the 13th floor, which means if it's windy (not exactly unusual for Barcelona being located on the coast) then it can be quite chilly up there. It was 21 degrees and sunny on our first day, but too cold to sit by the pool and certainly too cold to swim. The fact that the pool is overlooked by a tall office block right next door might be a bit off putting for some, but perhaps a welcome distraction for the numerous works I saw looking down at the pool area?

The location in Barcelona isn't great if you're a tourist - it's a 10-25 minute ride on the metro to get to the centre (depending upon where in the centre you want to go) and there isn't much in the vicinity of the hotel, other than three other hotels and the conference centre.

Finally, to add insult to injury the hotel added €46 of "extras" to my bill when I went to check out. I obviously asked what they were for only to be told it was because there were two people in the room (funny that - I'd booked a double room for 2 adults!) and then when I questioned that the reason changed to a charge for breakfast, which I also disputed as the pre-paid rate included breakfast. Eventually they waived the "extras" without much argument and I paid the remaining bill for dinner the previous night and checked out. However, two hours later I got a notification on my phone (brilliant Amex app!) that they'd decided to charge my credit card for the extras after I'd left - this time via their website without my authorisation! I've since disputed the charge and Amex have reversed it and are dealing with the hotel.

I've stayed at hundreds of hotels on business and pleasure over the years and have to say that this was a particularly bad experience. The hotel is pretty lack luster and the staff were mostly miserable, rude and uninterested in their jobs - not what I'd expect from Marriott and I certainly would NEVER stay there again. I'll also be writing to Marriott to complain because as far as I'm concerned, charging my credit card for "extras"
after I'd paid the bill and checked out is fraud!

If staying in Barcelona DON'T stay here!

1 Thank TDK-UK
AC_BARCELONA, Manager at AC Hotel Barcelona Forum by Marriott, responded to this review, 26 May 2014
I am very sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us, it is always disappointing to learn our guests' expectations have not been met. I am truly sorry for this.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 May 2014

Lovely room, comfy bed and large bath - very clean.
Staff are friendly.
Food absolutely great and tahe buffet breakfast and buffet lunch good quality and would definitely stay at this hotel if in Barcelona again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Ft. Lauderdale Fl.
Reviewed 19 May 2014

The hotel is a little far from the airport but its worth the drive! I had a junior suite facing the ocean and it was a fantastic room. The bathroom and shower are amazing and the 2 rooms are very spacious. There were a few complimentary snacks and water in the room when I arrived and they were delicious.

You can definitely hear noise from the hallway and neighboring rooms as the walls seemed to be very thin.

Ana at the front desk was very helpful providing us a map and giving us instructions on how to get to the metro. Taxi's can be picked up right out side of the hotel.

Internet is only free in the lobby area.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lizzie217
Frankfurt, Germany
Reviewed 18 May 2014

The marriott hotel is a little bit outside of Sant Cugat down town located (industrial area). But the hotel itself seems new. The rooms, lobby and restaurant are in a modern style. The underground parking is free of charge. In the own outside swimming pool you can relax. The internet access via WiFi is well working. From the airport to the hotel you need app. 35 min. by car. The hotel staff is very friendly and helpful.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Stayed in the AC Barcelona for four nights for a conference. I happened to shell out the cash for the suite and it was a BEAUTIFUL room. Spacious, clean, amazing view etc. etc. The hotel itself was in great condition and clean with really great decor. There was rooftop pool which looks beautiful and there was supposed to be a rooftop bar with drinks and munchies, but it was closed every day I was there. I used the fitness room a few times. There's not much in it, but it gets the job done.

Breakfast was included, and it was very nice. I ate lunch there the first day. It's expensive though. There was free WIFI in the lobby, and it was included with my room. The staff was very welcoming and helpful

The location could be either a good thing or a bad thing depending on your tastes. It's in a nice, open, spacious area without lots of crowds and it's next to the Diagonal Mar shopping centre. If you 're the type of person who likes doing excursions during the day, but then coming home to a quiet area, this is good for you. You're very close to El Maresme station (on the yellow line), and there are cabs aplenty. If you're about being right in the action, this hotel is not for you.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor—the views from this hotel are magnificent!