“The place to be”

Hotel Constanza Barcelona
Ranked #74 of 519 Hotels in Barcelona
Reviewed 15 April 2009

Stayed here for our honeymoon last week. Booked through their own website and got breakfast inc for same price. Was only twin available but put request for double and they made sure that was catered for (twins zipped together but it was fine) Walls are a bit thin but nothing to worry about. Breakfast cold buffet but fequently topped up, usual meats cheese, cereals cakes etc good to fill up before trek out. 5 mins walk from Las Ramblas (£5.50 pint £7 outside go drinking off the main street !) Sights of Barcelona fantastic great place to honeymoon and great base to stay

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank James M
Write a ReviewReviews (2,163)

Reviewed 13 April 2009

Stayed here with my husband for a long weekend. Hotel is very modern and clean. We booked an appartment with balcony. The room was beautifully furnished with a small kichen area. The kitchen area is not well appointed enough to be able to cook anything but enough for a cuppa and a sandwich. Not that you would want to cook anyway. Balcony didnt really have a view other than the street below. However, if you were there in summer it would be lovely to sit out and read a book. Hotel was spotlessly clean and staff were very helpful. Didn't have breakfast in the hotel, went to the cafe across the road. The location is fantastic. In a quiet street but only five mins walk to the place de catalyna and las Ramblas. For the amount we paid I was very pleased with this hotel and wouldn't hesitate to go back.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank scottishannie
Reviewed 5 April 2009

We stayed in a suite here. Boutique hotel with modern , clean, angular lines. Lots of dark wood & stone panels. Huge bedroom, plus seating & dressing area and fabulous shower room. Only 3 blocks from Placa Catalunya so 10 minutes walking will get you to there and the top of La Rambla, yet on a fairly quiet street. The reception staff were very helpful and responded instantly and expertly to requests for fixes (room safe would not open) or information (the best metro line to take etc).

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Probman
Reviewed 28 February 2009

Just back from a business trip to Barcelona where I stayed in this hotel. Fantastic location and modern finish. Breakfast is good - great fresh pineapple, pastries, cakes etc. I was in a single room which is a little small but does the job if you're not planning to stay in it much bar sleep.
I would recommend this hotel for both business and pleasure

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 January 2009

Nice hotel, spacious room, good location. We stayed here over New year and really liked the location. Close to La Rambla and easily accessible by train and bus...this is a neat hotel at a reasonable price. The staff was friendly and helpful too!

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 January 2009

I booked the Hotel Constanza based solely on the reviews on this website. We're a young couple in our twenties and value for money is everything to us! After doing extensive research it seemed that this hotel was our best option for around €100 a night. Infact, several hotels charging much more than this had a lot worse reviews - Hotel Constanza was something like 22nd out of 500+ hotels in Barcelona when I checked this site - and very reasonably priced.
I used the hotel's online booking system - we planned 5 nights in Barcelona over the New Year so I expected some increase in the normal price. I was pleasantly suprised - each night was €100 for a double suite, and it went up to €130 for NYE and NYD - very reasonable in my opinion.
Our room was a lovely double suite, done up in minimalistic colours and furniture. The beds were comfy and clean, we had a balcony looking to the back of the hotel, and a spotless bathroom. I can't really think of anything to fault the hotel room-wise. One small niggle for me personally was that the room was quite dark, they had spotlights in the ceiling which made it very romantic, but quite dark when you need to do your hair/make up! (Probably just a girly gripe!)
Breakfast was served til 10.30am on normal days, and at the lovely time of midday on 1st Jan, which would have been great, except we didn'[t get up til 4pm. Anyway, on the days we did have breakfast, it was fine; toast, cereals, croissants, ham, cheese, pastries etc. Everything you need to fill you up before a day's siteseeing.
The staff were friendly and polite, although we didn't really have much to do with them during our stay.
The hotel is about a 10min walk from Plaza De Catalunya (where all the main tourist buses leave from), 15mins walk from Las Ramblas, and maybe 30mins to the beach. We love walking so basically walked everywhere we could, this hotel was perfectly situated for us.
All in all a very pleasant stay there, very glad I chose it.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Beckiboo1983
Reviewed 1 December 2008

This hotel doesn't come up high on any travel guide's list (tripadvisor included) so I don't recall exactly how I stumbled across it, but once I did, I'm I researched it heavily as the price (90 euros a night with breakfast included) seemed to good to be true for a hotel near the desirable Eixample area of Barcelona.

I contacted the property directly in the summer (via email in Spanish) and they told me that the low rate was due to renovations of the hotel - renovations that would be done in September. My stay was for November so no concern there. The hotel is well-located. Just a few blocks from the Passeig de Gracia and Plaza Catalunya. It's not a block or two away, but rather 4 or five city blocks so if being a stone's throw away (walking-distance-wise) from the center of action is important to you then this might not be the place for you. The hotel met all expectations. The rooms were super modern and minimalist - in a sense almost too minimalist as there wasn't even an alarm clock in the room. For the base price of 90 euros (base price for a standard double), I had a large terrace with chairs and a table overlooking the back of the hotel. The back does not face a street rather other people's/other buildings "backyards".

Breakfast ticked all the boxes and was in a sleek, if not small room adjacent to their cafe - the latter which is accessible to the public. (They have a clever sliding door which separates the cafe from the breakfast room for hotel guests.) I imagine that later in the day the divider retracts in to the wall and the entire space is usable for the cafe open to the public.

My only quip was that upon returning to the room for a bit after the midafternoon meal, the door was propped open. While I use the in-room safe for valuables such as passports and extra cash, I nonetheless typically put out the "Do Not Disturb" sign as I prefer the cleaning people not to enter the room as (1) I typically don't make much mess and (2) for security reasons. However, the cleaning people not only disregarded the "do not disturb" sign, but while they were cleaning they apparently used the deadbolt to leave the door propped open and then neglected to come by when they finished to close it. It was a bit unsettling to return to the room to find the door propped open. Luckily nothing was stolen, but I did go down to the front desk to comment to the staff (in Spanish). Seems the cleaning people were in the process of finishing for the day so the desk manager went with me to talk to them before they left. They admitted they went in despite the "do not disturb sign" being on the door as well as leaving the door open. The cleaning staff apologized as well as the desk staff. They hotel didn't do anything above and beyond that, but frankly I was just grateful that all was well, so no harm no foul. Luckily I returned during the day around when the lapse happened as who knows what could have been taken from the room had it been left open like that for hours? That could have been another story entirely.

Due to the security lapse, I cannot give the hotel a glowing review, but all-in-all it was a very pleasant stay and you can't beat the price-quality ratio in what is THE neighborhood to stay in in Barcelona. I don't know if it will stay 90 euros for much longer, but I would even pay a bit more to stay here.

• Stayed: November 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank kala327