“Fantastic vacation!”

Ranked #23 of 521 Hotels in Barcelona
Norway
“Fantastic vacation!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2013

We had a wonderful stay at this hotel in March 2013. We are a family traveling with two children (age 3,5 yrs and 8 months). We booked a classic room, and were upgraded for free to Deluxe room with 15m² private terrace with outdoor seating. It was excellent sitting outdoor eating tapas from a nearby restaurant and drinking a good red wine after the kids was asleep. Fantastic hotel, with excellent location:)

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Norwegianhanne

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (662)
  • Arabic first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2013

what a place to stay! The location is great. The inside pool is amazing so is the exterieur one. The rooms are small. And don't know if this is like that everywhere in the ares, but there is no clock in the room.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JOhanne42_12
san francisco
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2013

We just returned from a three week trip in Spain and Portugal. Hotel 1898 and Barcelona was easily the highpoint of our trip. Barcelona is one of the great cities of the world. Staying in Hotel 1898 just makes the vacation that more delightful.

The hotels location on Las Rambla cannot be better. However, the welcome elegance of the hotel is a wonderful respite to the hustle and bustle of what is happening outside. With a wonderful breakfast buffet, superb staff and amazing roof top patio, you CANNOT find a better hotel in this wonderful city.

1 Thank joelarmstrong
Shelton, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2013

Great location on Las Ramblas, but also cornered on a quiet, side street. Very well kept hotel and rooms. Afternoon tea served in the bar area. Attached restaurant Bar Lobo excellent.
Older hotel with a small hotel feel. Tastefully updated. I would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: We over looked the back where there is a plaza with three restaurants with outdoor seating. We open...
3 Thank ChrisN65
London England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2013

I start this review with a caveat, I have yet to depart as I am still soaking up the last of the Barcelona sun on my deck as the hotel has very kindly given us a late check-out. It was availble so they did not hesitate when we asked last night and this is something that I find most generous and kind and puts one in a favourable mood!
The next thing I have to say is that I am in the best room in the hotel- a colonial suite (501) that is meant to be better than the other two suites on offer. All I can say is that I am incredibly impressed.
While often plunge pools and decks seem to look great on websites, they can be disappointing in person. Not this one! I am wishing I has friends on Barcelona to invite over to my garden and deck! Too bad there is so much to see in Barcelona that today is the day I spend the most amount of time out here- but it absolutely gorgeous.
The staff who are working here all seem to be genuinely interested in making your stay incredible, without over-fawning. The fruit basket on arrival was plentiful for the 5 day stay and while the young lady from housekeeping who took my half finished bottle of unfinished champagne was apologetic, I didn't feel like she was going to be fired for doing so- which made me feel better about the management of the place.
The staff said that they were undergoing a massive system change onthe computers, which could explain what seem to be an unreasonable amount of people at check out every morning- I hope this is the case, as this would be one of the only down-sides of this hotel.
I might also suggest a separate concierge desk, as opposed to" all receptionists having concierge abilities" as it puts one off when wanting to ask a simple question about the local area if you have to line up wiht 15 people looking to checkout. They have room for it down near the Rambla entrance and I hope they have one by the time I come back in August.
The breakfast and staff in the restaurant is well worth it so try and get a room rate with this included.
The pool bar has some great guys working behind the bar, but I would say that 2 of the ladies working the patio, might need a bit of training in attitude. We saw them upset a couple of guests ( not us thankfully) two days in a row. The atmosphere is cool chic up there and worth a visit even if you are not a pool person.
Overall, our rate was great value for money- that is n ot to say it was inexpensive, but I felt that we had an amazing time and felt well taken care up.
Especially liked the complete black out curtains and NOISE was NOT a problem!

Room Tip: if you can- get a 5th floor room with terrace
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank indytravelgirl
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2013 via mobile

Came here for my birthday and would return here for sure. We were upgraded to a lovely corner room with an outside view. We were originally given a room overlooking the cafe mirinda which was too noisy on our first night (Saturday) and asked to be moved. We were given the corner room two floors up. My only criticism is that we had to pack all our things in our suitcases which the hotel porter then moved. It would have been nice if they had offered to have our things moved while we were out. That said, we had been upgraded so can't really complain!

For the rest of the stay my only other criticism is that the day reception staff were a bit indifferent and I think could have been a bit more helpful. I used to live in Barcelona so know where places are and how to get around. People new to the city could find the staff not quite as forthcoming with information.

The roof terrace is really great and a lovely place to have a coffee or drink before you start your day. The swimming pool up there is also heated. All in all I loved this place.

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank sunnyv2
sheffield
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2013

Stayed last week for three nights. The hotel certainly has the wow factor when you walk in off the busy 'Las Ramblas' - an oasis of good taste and peace and quiet. Room was finished to a high spec with a huge bed. Not too noisy with the balcony door shut, once we had sorted out the air con. Roof top bar and pool was lovely but sadly undergoing repair while we were there. Had breakfast in the cafe next door which had a good choice of food, prompt service, reasonable prices and excellent coffee.

2 Thank yorkshireterrier18