“Brilliant Barcelona Base”

Ranked #27 of 512 Hotels in Barcelona
London, United Kingdom
“Brilliant Barcelona Base”
Reviewed 18 February 2014 via mobile

This was a great place to stay for our mini break to Barcelona.
It's centrally located but it tucked away down a side street off la Ramblas which makes it peaceful enough to get away from the hustle and bustle.
The staff are very friendly and helpful with suggestions and directions.
The rooms are well equipped with free wifi, lovely bathrooms and the most comfortable beds! We also enjoyed coming back to to the turn down service, the complimentary chocs were much appreciated after a long day sightseeing.
The bar is inviting and service in there was excellent, the drinks were a bit on the expensive side but we did have a discount card which helped.
The only thing I cannot comment on is the breakfast as this was not part of our package, this would be my only complaint and it would be nice if this could be included. There are however plenty of other places to have breakfast on the hotels doorstep.
We would would definitely stay here again if we return to Barcelona.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (681)
  • Arabic first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Casablanca
Reviewed 16 February 2014

Beautiful hotel, stylish, nicely designed. Elegant and affordable... great location just off Ramblas. Comfortable beds, decent size rooms and excellent service.

Spent 2 nights there for Valentine's weekend... was simply great. Also recommend the cafe/ restaurant right outside called Luzia!

Room Tip: Ideally stay in a room on the back side of the hotel with terrace view. The rooms on the street faci...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank travelleralex
Nuria G, Director General at Hotel 1898, responded to this review, 24 February 2014
Dear Guest,

First of all thank you for choosing us for your stay in Barcelona.

We are more than delighted to know that your experience at the H1898 was great and thank you so much for your really high reviews about our location, service and facilities.

We hope you enjoyed the Valentine day in Barcelona and definitely looking forward to your next visit at the H1898!

ksa
Reviewed 15 February 2014 via mobile

I stayed with my family in this amazing hotel and we enjoyed it very much. I really loved the location of the hotel ( in the middle of rambla ). The room was big enough and the bathroom was clean. There is a nice pool in the rooftop. The lobby is dark but classy. In the beginning of our stay there was a problem with the air condition but as soon as we call the front desk they try there best and change the room immediately. I am really looking forward to stay again and again.

Stayed June 2013
1 Thank shoshoKsa
Dear Guest,

We are really happy to know that you find the hotel amazing and we take the chance to thank you for your really high review about the hotel!

We constantly strive to exceed our guest’s expectations and it is always satisfying to hear that these efforts are noticed

We would like to see you back and welcoming you again, so looking forward to your next visit at the H1898.

California; HK
Reviewed 14 February 2014

My wife and I stayed there for 3 nights during our vacation in Spain. Very tastefully decorated, spacious room, great location only few minutes from the Metro and right on La Rambla which is only 2 mins. away from the La Boqueria market. Even though it's located the very busy and lively La Rambla but once you are inside the hotel or your room it's very quiet and comfortable so noice is not an issue. Too bad we went during the winter time and didn't have the chance to try their rooftop pool as we went up to take a look and it has a very beautiful view of the city. I could imagine how nice it would be during summer time to enjoy a relaxing afternoon there. I would definitely stay at this hotel again if I go back to Barcelona for business or pleasure. It's a little bit more expensive but well worth the price. At the end of our stay I even told my wife that I wouldn't mind staying at this hotel for couple more weeks as it's so nice to come back to such a comfortable place after a long day touring the city. I especially like how you could change to different settings of the room lights with just one click of a button right beside your bed.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Robbb101
Dear Guest,

First of all thank you for choosing us for your next stay in Barcelona.

We are pleased to learn that you have had a wonderful stay at our hotel and we take the chance to thank you for your very high reviews about us! We constantly strive to exceed our guest’s expectation and it is extremely satisfying to read their efforts do not go unnoticed.

We would be honored to welcome you again during your next stay in Barcelona….preferably on summer time for enjoy our terrace ;)

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 February 2014

The hotel is comfortable, clean and with friendly staff. The room was in good condition, clean and well decorated. This is no less than one would expect from a 4 star superior hotel. The location is ideal for those who like to stay in the center of the City. Las Ramblas is a tourist trap, comparable with Piccadilly in London or Time Square in New York. This however, depends on the preference of the individual. The spa was relaxing as you would expect, I have not been to many but better than the ones I have been to, like a small cave hidden underneath the busy streets of Barcelona city center. The only issue I had was that we were quoted €24/person for breakfast by the lady at the reception. However, if you take a look at the menu in your room, you will see that there are other options other than the €24 breakfast on the menu. You are probably better of going to La Boqueria which is 2 minutes walk from the hotel.
Overall, a positive experience and a hotel I would recommend if you can afford it.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank ovolpe
Dear Guest,

We are pleased to learn that you had a wonderful stay at our hotel and we take the chance to thank you for your reviews about our services, facilities and most at all about our Staff.

As mentioned by you we are located right on Las Ramblas which is basically the most popular street in the whole city and everything could be reached walking or in a short taxi’s ride.

Look forward to welcoming you again on your next visit.

Lausanne, Switzerland
Reviewed 6 February 2014

This was a week long family getaway primarily used as beach holiday. 2 adults (33 & 39) and 1 child (4). I myself have studied in Barcelona and we have taken 3 trips for vacation here as well.

This is the 4* that I usually compare other 4* hôtels to.

Spa: They offer a nice little spa with an indoor pool and sauna. My wife used it one day and that's about it. I guess it's one of the dabgers of travelling with kids.There's also a roof-top pool with a nice view. I used this once with my older daughter because she really wanted to go but I myself am not into pools when on a beach vacation.

Location: Great central location (if perhaps a bit noisy) right on La Rambla. 5 minutes to the port. 10-15 to the beach. Easy access to public transport. Numerous restaurants. Unless you're looking for a very quiet location or a place right on the beach, it probably doesn't get muich better than this. One thing I noticed is that while it's in a busy area, it serves as a nice oasis for some rest/peace & quiet. You walk directly from the noise & hustle of La Rambla and once inside you're immediatley enveloped in much different atmosphere.

Room: Nicely done interior. Nice sundries. Rooms are nicely furnished and spacious. Previous posters have mentioned hearing/feeling the metro going by underground and while I noticed the vibration as well, it wasn't an issue to us as we were worn out by time we got back into our room. Coffee maker. Mini-bar. LArge screen TV. 2 double (queen?) beds.

Lobby: Lobby is spacious with plenty of seating and socializing room. There's an attached bar area.

Staff: The staff were friendly and professional. No complaints.

Restaurant/Bar: We ate breakfast in-house only once and it was a nice enough buffet but not particularly worth the expense versus getting out and eating elsewhere. (NOTE to HOTEL..You offer a few regional specialties for the breakfast but don't bother to mention anything on the buffet placards. Instead of putting "cheese", your clients might like it if you have a name and region mentioned). The restaurant and bar aren't always open so it's not possible to get a coffee whenever you like but the starbucks next door easily makes up for this lapse.

This trip was a couple years ago and I can't remember the exact dates. When we arrived, there was a general strike scheduled to take place the same day and we dealt with massive protests & closings the first 2-3 days. Rito police. Police helicopters. Garbage cans & (a few) buildings set on fire. Suprisingly, other than a few transport issues this didn't bother us in the slightest and I actually enjoyed taking my older daughter out and showing her what was going on & explaining why it was happening. None of this has anything to do with the hotel of course which was fully operational the whole time.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank theswissmister
Nuria G, Director General at Hotel 1898, responded to this review, 15 February 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking your time and sharing your reviews regarding our hotel’s services, location, facilities and especially about our Staff.

We kindly inform you that we are improving all the time to offer a better service to all ours guest, since our maximum goal is to reach our guest’s expectations and assuring them the most pleasant stay at the H1898.

We would be more than glad to welcoming you again in the near future.

Paris
Reviewed 4 February 2014

This is my 2nd stay at the Hotel 1898. I like it because of its great location on La Rambla near the barrio Gothico. I come to Barcelona quite often, but I choose the 1898 when I have a business meeting because the hotel is very nice, in an old building very well refurbished. Good beds, fantastic terrace with bar & view & swimming pool in the summer. The meeting room is on the 2nd floor, with windows. In the areas, most meeting rooms are in the basement, so you don't see daylight for the whole day when you have a long meeting. Nice 'colonial' decoration, referring to the Tobacco Company offices from 1898.
The staff is very helpful, and the bar on the ground floor is nice. I would suggest to add fish at breakfast (smoked salmon...) and to be a bit more generous in soap in the bathroom.

Room Tip: Take a room on the outside (street) as the yard is small.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Guy415
Nuria G, Director General at Hotel 1898, responded to this review, 5 February 2014
Dear Guest,

First of all thank you for choose us for your stay in Barcelona again!

We are pleased to learn that you have had a wonderful stay at our hotel and we take the chance to thank you for your very high reviews about our location, services, facilities and most of all about our Staff!

We are more than honored to hear that our hotel was very convenient to hold your private meeting!

Regarding your suggestion about to add smoked salmon at breakfast, we kindly inform you that there is always. We are sorry if you did not find it during your stay.

I hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you back soon!