“great location, lovely hotel and rooms”
Review of Hotel 1898

Hotel 1898
Ranked #28 of 515 Hotels in Barcelona
Reviewed 29 March 2014

have been in Barcelona many times, this is one of the best located hotels just off the ramblas. Reception is lovely, there's a relaxed bar area. (however note that on the ramblas there is a lot of petty theft, so keep your wallet/bag in a safe at the hotel). rooms were not very big but well appointed. When I opened my window I could see over rooftops down to the sea (I think I was room 620)

Room Tip: Try to get a room over 6th floor (don't know how many floors there are) and to the back of the h...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Nuria G, Director General at Hotel 1898, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking your time and sharing your high opinion about us.

We are happy to read that you find our hotel as one of the best located hotels.

We would like to remind that we have 6 rooms’ categories, all different between them and with different size in order to make satisfy all ours guest’s expectative. If you would care to mention that you would prefer a larger room when next making a booking with us, we will allocate a more spacious room.

Look forward to welcoming you again at the H1898.

Kind regards

Reviewed 28 March 2014

the website for the hotel paints an accurate picture. i really enjoyed the decor, layout and overall vibe of the hotel. for tourists looking to make the most of a short trip in barcelona this hotel provided us with a convenient location for hitting up some of the must-see sights. they also do a nice job of built-in checks to ensure uninvited guest don't use parts of the hotel they shouldn't use. best accommodation of H1898? the top floor, which, on a nice day, beats most views/experiences in downtown barcelona/old city. the outdoor pool, furnishings, bar, etc is topnotch. the hotel is literally right on one of the busiest streets in barcelona, so it provides great access to instant excitement. if you're an elitist who hasn't traveled outside of high-end ritzy hotels you should know that the metro passes below the hotel. i can totally envision some checked-out-from-reallife snob complaining about this b/c they expect a hotel in downtown barcelona to be the hilton in las vegas. so, prima donnas beware, this isn't las vegas. this is centuries old spain. in short, my wife and i paid a pretty penny for a 10-day trip to london, paris and barcelona… and H1898 was one of the highlights (among many) of our adventures.

Room Tip: eat a few blocks away from la rambla. the establishments on la rambla take advantage of tourists (i...
Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Lawrence O
Reviewed 27 March 2014

Great hotel in a splendid location. Staff were efficient and friendly. Food in the hotel restaurant was excellent and good value. We had a terrific time and it was a lovely way to celebrate my husbands 60th birthday. Would recommend to anyone.

1  Thank Norma Ann M

Dear Guest,

First of all we are honored that you chose to spend your husband's birthday here with us and we are therefore delighted that you have had a terrific time!

Thank you for your very high reviews about our services, location and most of all about our Staff!

Your kind comment that our restaurant was excellent and good value is lovely to read and I will share this with our kitchen team who will be so appreciative.

We definitely are looking forward to welcoming you again at the H1898!

Kind regards,

Reviewed 27 March 2014

I recently stayed 3 nights at the Hotel 1898. The hotel itself is lovely and situated right in the heart of the Ramblas. It is within walking distance of many sites and the Bouqeria and the Liceu metro are just a short stroll away. It is ideally situated and close to lots of things to do and I felt safe coming back to the hotel after enjoying a late dinner/show.

while it was nice to be so close to the action, it was not so nice at night when we were trying to sleep. I was cursing myself for booking this hotel the first night we arrived due to the extreme noise from the Ramblas. Folks cheering, laughing and even someone playing a saxophone, cars and motorcycles beeping their horns and honking until past midnight and later. There was also the constant rumble of the metro as it passed under the hotel throughout the night. I had to put a pillow over my head and take a sleeping aid to get just a few hours sleep. The second night seemed less noisy and I was hopeful that it was just a weekend thing, but alas, our last night was just as noisy as the first. I was happy to check out as I could not take another night of the noise.

The set up the lighting in the rooms is also odd; one has to put their key card in the slot for the lights to come on and stay one. There is no option for the lights on one side of the bed to remain on if one party wants to read while the other wants to sleep. the lights on both sides of the bed are either on or off.

The bed was comfortable and there is even a pillow menu if you don't like the pillow on your bed. The front desk staff was attentive and courteous, giving directions and answering questions. We did not make use of the spa, pool or restaurants. Breakfast is 24 Euro a person so we did not eat there.

If it weren't for the noise in the room, I would have given this hotel a higher rating. The hotel is clean and classy, our room had a black and white design and I give it high marks for appearance. However, when I go to a hotel, I want to be able to sleep at night and awake refreshed and ready to tour the sites. I was unable to do that with the room I was given. Rooms at the back of the hotel may be less noisy but if you are a light sleep, avoid at all costs the rooms near the ramblas. I would not choose to stay here again.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleep, ask for a room on a high floor away from the ramblas.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank duckhead520
Reviewed 27 March 2014

Location is perfect! Very convenient for staying in Barcelona at first time. Stylish design hotel attracts. What concerning personal: Hospitality of reception is gives very warm atmosphere.Service at a high level.

Reviewed 27 March 2014

H1898 is well positioned for a short stay in Barcelona, a short walk down Las Ramblas from Place de Catalonya. First impressions count and as you walk through the entrance, you get the feeling the hotel is well managed by people who put customers first. Everyone showed great attention to detail in all aspects of the hotel, clean, good food and great staff. A great stay. A bit pricey, but worth it.

1  Thank David Peter Hen... O
Reviewed 26 March 2014

Booked Hotel 1898 via Jetsetter and I'm so glad I did! The weather was perfect for spending lazy afternoons on the rooftop deck, with great drinks and delicious tapas. The view is the perfect cherry on top. As others have noted, it's really well located with the Metro, La Boqueria Market, and a ton of great restaurants all within a five minute walk. (Definitely make Luzia next to the hotel a stop when you're hungry!) We were in a standard room and it was clean and spacious. Nothing fancy, but a very comfortable bed and could have stayed for a week and not felt cramped. Lastly, the lobby smells fantastic! Normally I hate being overwhelmed by scents pumped into public spaces, but it's light and adds something nice to the ambience.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends