“Excellent value”

Ranked #23 of 521 Hotels in Barcelona
Denia, Spain
“Excellent value”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2014

We recently spent four nights in this hotel. The staff were very friendly and pleasant, the buffet breakfast was first class and our room was kept spotless by an excellent chambermaid. Wouldn't hesitate to use this hotel again on my next visit.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Cheftalia

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (662)
  • Arabic first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2014

Perfect holiday for my wife and I.
Full use of Spa facilities after Cava Bar/Tapas hoping, shopping and site seeing within an arms reach. Sending me a complimentary bottle of Brut for my un-announced birthday was a real treat. The Deluxe rooms with a patio balcony are a worthy treat if you want more space outside of your room. Overall a great experience

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple

1 Thank Andre Joseph B
Nuria G, Director General at Hotel 1898, responded to this review, 31 March 2014
Dear Guest,

First at all thank you for choosing us for celebrating a special moment like your birthday - it was a pleasure for us to welcoming you with a small present.

We are glad that you could enjoy the city but most at all that you could enjoy your stay with us!

Look forward to welcoming you again at the H1898.

Beirut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2014

The overall experience was great, reception personal were helpful and responded to any question, want to thank them all especially Victor.
The room was great and always clean, i enjoyed my stay to the maximum.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business

2 Thank Adib A
Dear Guest,

We are pleased to learn that you have had a great stay at our hotel and we take the chance to thank you for your very high reviews about us.

We are very proud of the team and it is always pleasing to receive such kind words as yours. We constantly endeavor to exceed our guest’s expectations of service and it is always rewarding to hear that these efforts are noticed. I am happy that they were helpful and and responded your entire question and I am especially thrilled that Victor assisted you during your time with us. I shall ensure that all of your kind feedback and praise are passed on to Victor and the team and that their service is duly noted.

We would be more than glad to welcoming you again in the near future.

Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2014

have been in Barcelona many times, this is one of the best located hotels just off the ramblas. Reception is lovely, there's a relaxed bar area. (however note that on the ramblas there is a lot of petty theft, so keep your wallet/bag in a safe at the hotel). rooms were not very big but well appointed. When I opened my window I could see over rooftops down to the sea (I think I was room 620)

Room Tip: Try to get a room over 6th floor (don't know how many floors there are) and to the back of the h...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking your time and sharing your high opinion about us.

We are happy to read that you find our hotel as one of the best located hotels.

We would like to remind that we have 6 rooms’ categories, all different between them and with different size in order to make satisfy all ours guest’s expectative. If you would care to mention that you would prefer a larger room when next making a booking with us, we will allocate a more spacious room.

Look forward to welcoming you again at the H1898.

Kind regards
Pleasant Hill, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2014

the website for the hotel paints an accurate picture. i really enjoyed the decor, layout and overall vibe of the hotel. for tourists looking to make the most of a short trip in barcelona this hotel provided us with a convenient location for hitting up some of the must-see sights. they also do a nice job of built-in checks to ensure uninvited guest don't use parts of the hotel they shouldn't use. best accommodation of H1898? the top floor, which, on a nice day, beats most views/experiences in downtown barcelona/old city. the outdoor pool, furnishings, bar, etc is topnotch. the hotel is literally right on one of the busiest streets in barcelona, so it provides great access to instant excitement. if you're an elitist who hasn't traveled outside of high-end ritzy hotels you should know that the metro passes below the hotel. i can totally envision some checked-out-from-reallife snob complaining about this b/c they expect a hotel in downtown barcelona to be the hilton in las vegas. so, prima donnas beware, this isn't las vegas. this is centuries old spain. in short, my wife and i paid a pretty penny for a 10-day trip to london, paris and barcelona… and H1898 was one of the highlights (among many) of our adventures.

Room Tip: eat a few blocks away from la rambla. the establishments on la rambla take advantage of tourists (i...
Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Lawrence O
Dumfries, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2014

Great hotel in a splendid location. Staff were efficient and friendly. Food in the hotel restaurant was excellent and good value. We had a terrific time and it was a lovely way to celebrate my husbands 60th birthday. Would recommend to anyone.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple

1 Thank Norma Ann M
Dear Guest,

First of all we are honored that you chose to spend your husband's birthday here with us and we are therefore delighted that you have had a terrific time!

Thank you for your very high reviews about our services, location and most of all about our Staff!

Your kind comment that our restaurant was excellent and good value is lovely to read and I will share this with our kitchen team who will be so appreciative.

We definitely are looking forward to welcoming you again at the H1898!

New Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2014

I recently stayed 3 nights at the Hotel 1898. The hotel itself is lovely and situated right in the heart of the Ramblas. It is within walking distance of many sites and the Bouqeria and the Liceu metro are just a short stroll away. It is ideally situated and close to lots of things to do and I felt safe coming back to the hotel after enjoying a late dinner/show.

while it was nice to be so close to the action, it was not so nice at night when we were trying to sleep. I was cursing myself for booking this hotel the first night we arrived due to the extreme noise from the Ramblas. Folks cheering, laughing and even someone playing a saxophone, cars and motorcycles beeping their horns and honking until past midnight and later. There was also the constant rumble of the metro as it passed under the hotel throughout the night. I had to put a pillow over my head and take a sleeping aid to get just a few hours sleep. The second night seemed less noisy and I was hopeful that it was just a weekend thing, but alas, our last night was just as noisy as the first. I was happy to check out as I could not take another night of the noise.

The set up the lighting in the rooms is also odd; one has to put their key card in the slot for the lights to come on and stay one. There is no option for the lights on one side of the bed to remain on if one party wants to read while the other wants to sleep. the lights on both sides of the bed are either on or off.

The bed was comfortable and there is even a pillow menu if you don't like the pillow on your bed. The front desk staff was attentive and courteous, giving directions and answering questions. We did not make use of the spa, pool or restaurants. Breakfast is 24 Euro a person so we did not eat there.

If it weren't for the noise in the room, I would have given this hotel a higher rating. The hotel is clean and classy, our room had a black and white design and I give it high marks for appearance. However, when I go to a hotel, I want to be able to sleep at night and awake refreshed and ready to tour the sites. I was unable to do that with the room I was given. Rooms at the back of the hotel may be less noisy but if you are a light sleep, avoid at all costs the rooms near the ramblas. I would not choose to stay here again.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleep, ask for a room on a high floor away from the ramblas.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends