“OUTSTANDING IN EVERY WAY!”
Review of Hotel 1898

Hotel 1898
Ranked #22 of 513 Hotels in Barcelona
Fleet, United Kingdom
“OUTSTANDING IN EVERY WAY!”
Reviewed 2 July 2014

I just returned from a stay in the Hotel 1898 in Barcelona and could not fault it in any way. Effortlessly classy and contemporary and a real haven in the hustle and bustle of Las Ramblas.

We were lucky enough to have a room with a balcony over Las Ramblas and it was just magical to wake up with the natural sounds of Barcelona waking up around you. Plush rooms with lots of lovely finishing touches.

The underground pool and spa is to die for. The only downside was that the roof top pool and bar was always really crowded but that's to be expected due to the weather and number of guests so I still didn't see that as a negative to the hotel :)

I can't really comment on the food as we didn't eat in the hotel but the waiting staff always had the right level of attentiveness when needing anything done or ordering drinks.

All in all, one of my most magical city stays EVER! I would thoroughly recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (674)
  • Arabic first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 1 July 2014

We stayed here in September 2013 and the hotel was very good but the location was even better. The rooms are a bit dark but maybe that is the style of the hotel. Staff were also very approachable. The bed was comfortable and if you like the Softer mattress you will really like this one. The size of the room was good for a big city.

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Palm Springs, Florida
Reviewed 1 July 2014

We stayed at this hotel at the tail end of our honeymoon, post 12 day cruise. The hotel was very clean and very helpful. I would recommend this hotel to anyone. It is located very close to the "Ramblas", restaurants, and shops. The continental breakfast is amazing!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 29 June 2014

I recently traveled to Barcelona for the first time and was excited to stay at Hotel 1898. Sadly, my experience left me with very mixed feelings about this hotel. In preparation for my trip, I sent an email to the hotel saying that I was bringing a child with me and would need a cot. They said that would not be a problem. However, when I arrived at the hotel, they told me my child (age 10) would not be allowed to stay with us. They said I would need to book a second room as only two people are allowed in each of their rooms. (I guess they were suggesting my wife would sleep alone in the second room??) Of course, I reminded them that I had notified them weeks in advance and they tried to tell me that "child" meant "baby" and "cot" meant "crib". After much wrangling and discussion, they agreed to let my daughter stay for an extra $75/night which they billed as "upsell" on my receipt. Needless to say, this was a very negative first impression and an awful welcome for a guest at their hotel. The facility overall is very nice although not as nice as it should be for the price. For example there are two pools: a beautiful and interesting indoor one that is fantastic and an outdoor pool on the roof that was so cold no one even wanted to put their feet in it, despite the temperature being very hot. Additionally, the fitness center had equipment that was broken down or didn't work.

So overall, I can't really recommend the hotel, mainly because of the poor, poor customer service and terrible handling of our check-in. The facilities are nice , the location is good and the rooms are large. If they overhaul their customer service training and start to treat their guests with more courtesy, I may reconsider. Until then, I think I would find another hotel in Las Ramblas.

--G. Mills

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank grileymills
Hoboken, New Jersey
Reviewed 27 June 2014

Let's start with the negatives, which were few and far between. First thing of note is that the rooms do not come equipped with, nor does the hotel offer irons or ironing boards(they do offer a press service for a fee). So be prepared if you worry your clothes may get wrinkled in transit. Also, I felt as though I could hear any and everything going on outside my door in the hallway. Was never really loud or disruptive, but I could hear the going ons. Still minor issues that did not take away from my overall experience during my 6 days in the hotel.

The location is IDEAL for those looking to tour the city of Barcelona. Located on La Rambla, and near numerous metro stops, we couldn't ask to be in a better position. With that said, we were worried about street noise at night. We expressed this in our room request and were accommodated with a room facing the opposite direction, and we're NEVER disturbed by any of the commotion down on La Rambla. The hotel is also approximately a 5 minute from Pl. Catalunya the last stop for the Aerobus from the airport. We found this a very comfortable and cost efficient way to get to and from the city center.

We booked through the Hotel 1898 website and they immediately reached out to confirm, and discuss any issues. The staff was at all times professional, helpful and pleasant, both through email and in person. And you should note that everyone who we ever encountered at the front desk spoke perfect English, which we found very helpful.

I can not rave enough about the roof deck pool and bar. We were slightly disappointed in the beaches of Barcelona, and my wife and I do not know what we would have done without that roof pool. It offered AMAZING views of the city, and was extremely relaxing. And again at no point were we disturbed by street noise. We only ate up there once, and the menu did leave a little to be desired, but again such a small detail. Trust me, even if you choose not to stay at the hotel, make your way up to the roof one night for cocktails and light fare just to take in the view's.

So the pool up top is great for laying out and getting some sun, cocktails and terrific views of the city. Well the pool down in the spa is fantastic as well, especially after a day of walking the city. The heated pool and its jets were ideal after a long day taking in the sights. It's suppose to be for those over the age of 14, and trust me its annoying whenever(happened twice during our stay)someone brought kids in. When your trying to relax the last thing you need is a kid splashing and making noise. Typically I'd have no issues with this as pools should be fun, but this pool was not put in place for those type of activities. We also took advantage of the sauna and steam room located down in the spa. We did not spring for any of the massage packages as they were pretty pricey. But after a few long days in the city we did seriously consider giving in.

Lastly is the look and feel of the hotel. I loved the dim lighting, black and white photo's and comfy leather furniture throughout. Always had light music in the background and I swear that they pumped cologne(not overbearing in the least)into the building. Whenever you walked through the doors you were instantly removed from the hustle and bustle of the busy streets just outside. We stayed in a superior room, which by American standards is small, but two people with a weeks worth of luggage and we were more than comfortable. On first appearance the bed would not look all that comfy, but when I got back to the states I was missing my pillow from the hotel, it was that good. Rooms were always cleaned and they offered a turn down service each night.

If ever back in Barcelona I wouldn't look to stay anywhere else, and will recommend Hotel 1898 to any, and all going into the city.

5 Thank Swabbles
Toronto
Reviewed 26 June 2014

Really enjoyed this hotel. Perfectly located on Las Ramblas. Rooms were spacious and modern. Hotel has managed to retain its historic elegance in the lobby, while being quite modern elsewhere. We had the deluxe room, which was nice as it had extra space, a sofa and double sinks. The rooftop patio is excellent -- with a lovely view, nice drinks and good food. Breakfast buffet was very good although quite expensive. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Deluxe rooms are nice. No need for a balcony as you can use the rooftop patio.
2 Thank TorontoDebbie
Derbyshire
Reviewed 26 June 2014

I stayed here for 4 nights following business meetings. I chose this hotel for its location and the roof top pool. I booked a superior room and was not disappointed. Checking was smooth and I was given a room on the 4th floor towards the Las Ramblas end of the hotel. The room was lovely, dark wood floor, a wonderful comfortable bed a good bathroom with lovely big fluffy towels. The turndown service was unexpected but welcome. The lobby area contained lovely comfortable, squashy sofas. The rooftop bar was a real treat, you could see across Barcelona in all directions, the seating was very comfortable and waiter service very good. My favourite part of the hotel was the sun deck and the pool - the pool was good to cool off in and the sun deck well furnished and towels provided. I ate breakfast in the bar on the corner of the hotel - luzia and would recommend it. I walked to Barceloneta beach - about 20 minutes away but well worth the effort. The staff were attentive and helpful. This hotel is well situated for Central Barcelona with many sights being within walking distance - no it's is not cheap but I believe it was worth every euro.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo