“Wonderful hotel ideal location”
Review of Hotel 1898

Hotel 1898
Ranked #23 of 514 Hotels in Barcelona
“Wonderful hotel ideal location”
Reviewed 31 July 2014

Wonderful hotel in an ideal location quiet and peaceful . Booked a standard room which was dark and cool at night but with luxurious fittings and bathroom. Stayed as 2 couples location ideal right on the ramblas but no interference from noise.

Rooftop area stunning service excellent breakfast on the terrace absolutely gorgeous I wouldn't hesitate to return and next time do the boat trip and cable car.

Did the bus tour which was great and spent many a happy hour walking around the quaint squares

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (670)
  • Arabic first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Queensland
Reviewed 31 July 2014

As part of out Scenic Tours Paris to Barcelona River cruise stay three nights at this hotel. Beautifully decorated if a little dark in the corridors. Beautiful spa area in the basement, and the piece de resistance is the roof terrace. Lovely pool area great bar and terrific tapas.

Our room 210 had a small outdoor terrace which was beautiful for a coffee and to read the morning paper

Staff very helpful and friendly

Had one of the best steaks ever in the restaurant .

1 Thank BJR001
Risch, Switzerland
Reviewed 29 July 2014

We had little support by the reception to upgrade to an offered package and to coordinate a Spa treatment. I was told to cancel the inital booking, to book a new package and I was given the e-mail adress of the spa centre and was told to organise myself. I would have expected a little more on site support, since answers to e-mails took quite long.

And afterwards parts of the booked package were forgotten (champagne and strawberries in room at arrival). When I informed the reception, I got a voucher for two free drinks that was intended for people who wait for their rooms (which we did at the beginning without getting a voucher). So I paid for something that should have been free and still didn't get the whole deal.
This was quite disappointing since it was intended as a surprise for my wife for our anniversary (as I had informed the reception upon booking).

The Spa in the former storage room has a unique atmosphere and the massage was good. The pool in the Spa could be slightly warmer though.

Despite the critical points mentioned above, the central location, the atmosphere of the hotel, the perfect breakfast on the La Isabela terrace, the morning swims in the rooftop pool as well as the fantastic blackberry mojitos made our stay very enjoyable.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Seattle
Reviewed 27 July 2014

Everyone has already talked about it's great location, just two blocks from La Boqueria on Las Ramblas (a great spot to get an inexpensive snack or meal). That being said, we've all read about pickpockets and crime in Barcelona. Traveling as a solo woman, I felt very safe and secure here. Their safety system is one of the best I've ever seen outside New York. Your room key must be used to get up the elevator, and only takes you to your floor, or the public floors. Not to mention the bellman was on watch to see that you belonged here. The interlock mechanism is built into the wall next to the door, so less chance of anyone using a code reader to open your door while you're away. With dark hardwood floors and spacious rooms, I thought it might be noisy from above, but it wasn't a bit. The bath is well appointed with a bidet. There is a large safe, big enough for a laptop or iPad. Anytime I travel I leave my "Do Not Disturb" sign on the door at all times, but turn it to "Make Up My Room" when I want service, and usually get it within the time I'm out. I don't care for turn down service, so up goes the DND sign again. Since I had arrived from the West Coast, my time schedule was upside down, falling into bed early, before most restaurants open in Barcelona (8:00pm - 10:00pm). I ordered Room Service, the food was fresh, (too) plentiful, and the full meal deal was 21 Euros, including salad and dessert & service charge. You can walk anywhere in Barcelona's core from here, Catalyuna Square, the Cathedral, Picasso Museum, waterfront. I never took the subway, but there is a stop 1/2 block away. My taxi to the cruise ship pier was 15 minutes and 15 Euros, more because of some heavy traffic and the meter goes by time and travel distance. The rooftop pool is an oasis amid the craziness of this beautiful city. I only ordered local wine and beer and felt the prices were on par with any other big city hotel. There is a Starbuck's in the same building, which made the breakfast plan unnecessary, so had my coffee and rolls there. I had a half body massage in the spa, the girls speak English very well. I used the indoor pool, which has a waterfall massage, jetted section, so more like a spa than swimming pool, very relaxing. Maybe that's why I fell into bed and slept restfully amid the chaos of Las Ramblas.

Room Tip: Rooms on the side street are quieter.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank MONichols
Maidstone, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 July 2014

We stayed in a superior room and I would say this hotel is more 5* than 4*
Room was on the 6th floor with a view and was quiet at night
The roof top bar / lounge area is a great way to finish an evening out, contrary to another review it was open every night we was there 23rd-26th July
The interior of this hotel and its facilities are superb
The only thing I would change would be to move it to the marina area as la Rambla is a bit seedy at night , you can take a taxi at night if you feel uncomfortable walking around after dark.
Great location for daytime exploring. Well worth a visit

Room Tip: Ask for a room high up as noise could be a problem at night
2 Thank David B
Reviewed 25 July 2014 via mobile

I'm staying here right now. After being out for the day we come back at 2:30 and the room isn't cleaned.
The main feature of the hotel -the roof top bar- was closed last night for a private function yet nobody advised us of this when we booked or when we checked in that afternoon.
When we went to go out last night we called for an iron. They don't have an iron! You can only get it ironed by them at $7 euros a shirt... More for other pieces! I've never stayed in a hotel with no irons.
And €12.5 for a standard drink!
Not a bad looking hotel but average for the price... Disappointed.

Stayed July 2014
2 Thank Maddy S
RobertoCifuentes, Director General at Hotel 1898, responded to this review, 25 July 2016
Dear Maddy,

We appreciate your time on TA sharing your opinion with us.
We would like to apologize for the inconveniences caused during your stay.

We would like to inform you that our cleaning schedule is from 9h00 to 17h00 (plus 17h00 to 22h00 for additional assistance and turning down service). We always try to have all rooms ready as soon as possible and if the service is requeired on reception or through the 'Please clean the room' card we prior this service. Counting also on all the departures we do have daily.

We would also like to inform you that we do not borrow irons for security reasons. Our hotel has a colonialist style and all the furniture in the rooms is made of wood and colonialist decor. This is why we do offer a laundry service available from 9h00 to 22h00 that can wash and iron your clothes. And also we do have an external service for dry cleaning.

About your experience on the rooftop bar the first night, we apologize if you were not informed, it is not our normal procedure. We take note and report to all departments to improve our procedures.

Moira, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 July 2014

H1898 is first class, from the moment you enter the air conditioned lobby and are met by the friendly staff you know that they will do their very best to make your stay as pleasurable as possible. The rooms are spacious , very clean and quiet , in spite of being on the Ramblas.

We didn't dine in the hotel any evening but the breakfast choices were very extensive and well prepared. The Rooftop terrace is a real treat and a quiet,relaxing haven from the bustle of the Ramblas. The perfect place to chill out and enjoy a cocktail, with lovely views over the city. I would certainly recommend it for couples wanting to explore Barcelona

Room Tip: I chose an interior room, thinking it would be quieter as the hotel over looks the Ramblas. I think...