“Adding to the list of Excellent reviews....”
Review of Hotel 1898

Hotel 1898
Ranked #22 of 513 Hotels in Barcelona
New York City, New York
“Adding to the list of Excellent reviews....”
Reviewed 20 August 2014

I am usually a budget traveler, but it was my sister's birthday, so we decided to splurge.

This hotel was well worth it, in every way. The thing that impressed me the most was the bottle of champagne on ice and a happy birthday card to my sister when we arrived home after a day of site-seeing. It was so kind and unexpected. It truly is the little things that make you love a hotel!

Everything else that everyone else is saying is true - amazing staff, great rooms, wonderful views, awesome pools ...etc etc etc

The only bad thing is La Rambla at night ..... their are aggressive prostitutes on the street after midnight. Be careful when coming home late, they will get very touchy!!! -- But this is not the fault of the hotel, just a warning to future guests to be aware!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Michael K

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (674)
  • Arabic first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Panama City, Panama
Reviewed 20 August 2014

1898 is in the Ramblas but more towards Plaza Catalyna area. All the tours leave fr there and is a 5min walk fr Hotel, close to many many restaurants. The hotel has an amazing spa which has free entry for Hotel guests. The rooftop bar has great food n ambience. Hotel gave us a 20%off coupon for drinks up there. Rooms r really good but the classic a bit small. Inspite of the sz it was a great exp, it's not bad for 2, we got a king sz bed, of course two beds joined like everywhere in Europe. Nice bathrooms n really good amenities. Housekeeping was amazing, left the room spotless n kept adding stuff n clean robes n slippers for the spa. My husb n I were super impressed. Security was good need yr key card to go up the elevator. U need to be careful in the Ramblas though cus many pickpockets. I wd definitely come back, I give this Hotel a thumbs up . Very pleasing staff.

Room Tip: If u like space get the superior with a window, it's not noisey but walls r thin. Classic is nic...
1 Thank Koms70
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 19 August 2014

We had 4 nights at the hotel, right in the middle of all the attractions and all the busy night life.
Very interesting hotel, the room was a little bit smaller but lovely and clean, the bathroom was great. The sitting areas and lounges in the foyer are huge just lovely to sit and have a drink or just relax after a busy day.
the restaurant in the hotel was one of the best places we ate at in Barcelona and very good value.
Staff most attentive. I left a blouse behind in the room and with sending a couple of emails they posted it to Australia and it was here waiting for me when I arrived home.
Would highly recommend 1898.

2 Thank Kathryn G
Ipswich
Reviewed 18 August 2014 via mobile

The location - just off the Ramblas - is great for access to some of the best spots in Barcelona. The lobby is amazing, the staff genuinely helpful and pleasant,
The room was amazing with great air-conditioning. The bed was massive and really comfortable. Rooms were refreshed twice a day.
The rooftop terrace, pool area was stunning with great views over the city and amazing cocktails.
I've stayed in lots of hotels in Barcelona but this was by far the best

Stayed August 2014
Huntingdon, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 August 2014

We booked this hotel through Expedia and had read the reviews online beforehand.

The location of this property could not be any better as it is on La Rambla and very close of Placa de Catalunia which are important considerations as everything becomes much easier. We took Aerobus to and fro from El Prat airport. This service runs very smoothly and very frequently 365 days a year. Hence, you reach hotel within 5-10 mins on foot after getting off the aerobus.

It is just a block away from the Marcat La Boquera. Hence, we could take a walk on La Rambla and visit this Market as we pleased without breaking a sweat. The famous Barcelona cathedral is also very close and so are Grand Teatre De Liceu as well as Palacu de la musica catlana (walking distance of less than 10 mins). There are 2 metro stations on its door steps - Liceu and Catalunia on line L3. Besides, Placa Reial as well as several clubs / bars / restaurants in gothic quarters and El Raval are close by too. We in fact walked from the hotel to Passeig de Gracia and visited Casa Battlo and La Pedrera on foot. We even walked from La Pedrera to Sagarada Familia. However, if walking is not what you want then metro is the answer. So this was about the location.

The reception staff was very helpful and helped us with bookings as well as giving very valuable suggestions based on what we wanted especially restaurants. Jamed McArdle as well as Andrea deserve their names mentioned here. They helped with maps as well as the quickest way to get from A to B as well as some practical tips.

The rooms were very clean and we had chosen a room with a balcony. If you prefer a view to a street then this is a good option. However, that brings its own issues of noise from it too. However, we wanted that. A feel of the culture. People on street having meals and often there were street performers with music instruments. We loved this part. Higher the floor number, lesser the noise. We were on the third floor which offered a decent view to the street.

The hotel sent us a complimentary cava bottle on my wife's birthday which was a personal touch. They had gathered that when they checked us in with our passport details.

Our room had a DAB radio and a flat screen TV. My only gripe was that there were very few English channels. All movies were dubbed in spanish or catalan. The hotel must look into this or offer English sub-title function (which may have been there but we didn't ask).

We did not try the breakfast or the restaurant at the hotel as there were so many to choose from in the area. We did go on the rooftop bar which was amazing. The view was worth the price you pay for drinks. I was served margarita in a martini glass. The bar needs to work on these little areas. If you are charging 12 euro a drink then it has to deliver. However, it was the view and atmosphere which we paid for.

I would certainly recommend this hotel to friends and family. I would very strongly consider it when I visit Barcelona next. There was a small rooftop pool which could be useful for kids. I spoke to some guests and they were impressed with spa too.

Room Tip: Be clear about balcony - it is great to have one but could mean more noise till late night.
4 Thank Urjit S
Spokane, Washington
Reviewed 17 August 2014

My family and I did 3 non consecutive nights at this property in August. 1 night before a 5 day cruise and 2 nights after the cruise. The property is immaculate. Very clean, well maintained and modern although the exterior is beautifully historic. The lobby has numerous sofas and an adjacent bar area. The staff all speak English and were very helpful with directions, restaurant recommendations and tourist information. Check in is at three and I was never able to get in before that time but they did accept my luggage for storage. I was having a problem with my cell phone and the front desk even called an American number for me to resolve the problem. Our booking included breakfast which was a European style buffet in the restaurant. It is very nice with many choices, excellent food and excellent service. The 7th floor rooftop bar and pool were very nice. Spectacular views and wonderful atmosphere. There are great lounge sofas (that one can reserve) and dining tables. My only negative is the limited dining menu. Le Meridian is across the street and I never saw anyone on their roof enjoying the sun like we were. The location is great. Right along La Rambla. Starbucks next door. Walking distance to waterfront, Cathedral of Barcelona and major shopping. They do not have rooms for 4 so I did have to buy 2 rooms each night but hey, it's a vacation, who wants to sleep in the same room as your kids?

Room Tip: The higher you are the better view you will have.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Gothenburg, Sweden
Reviewed 17 August 2014

Very nice hotel at the Ramblas. Premium right across the Meridien. Pool area is fantastic and the roof top bar gives a lounge feeling at night, Breakfast one of the best ever, but its quite expensive at 24 euro pp.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business