“Location and Elegance - Fantastic stay in Barcelona”
Review of Hotel 1898

Hotel 1898
Ranked #27 of 515 Hotels in Barcelona
Reviewed 17 July 2009

We stayed a few nights recently at the Hotel 1898 and had an amazing time. First, the location simply can't be beat. You are right on La Rambla, just about a block from Placa Catalunya, but the rooms are nicely soundproofed so when you head to bed at night you really can't hear a thing. Second, the decor and design really blew us away - the late 19th century tobacco plantation theme is carried through every single detail.

I've read a few of the negative reviews and really can't believe we stayed at the same hotel. Get this - I posted on Twitter that I was having trouble uploading photos for family back home because wireless (free) was spotty in our room. I got a tweet back in 30 mins from reception offering to loan me an ethernet cable so I could get on their wired network. Amazing.

Lastly, nothing beats hopping into a refreshing pool with amazing views after a long, hot day seeing the city. And if you'd prefer to relax there's also a basement pool that's equally as enjoyable.

We didn't visit the attached restaurant but then again, when you're in Barcelona why wouldn't you walk the 100 metres behind the hotel and get some authentic, well priced Catalan fare?

1  Thank jvachon

Reviewed 16 July 2009

It's a luxury hotel and I have no idea why this is not a 5 stars hotel; it could be because the Hotel lacks an outdoor swimming pool.

My recommendation for those who plan to stay at the Hotel is to avoid staying in rooms overlooking the La Rambla; not only because of the noise of the busy strip but most importantly because of the underground metro, which passes under the La Rambla every 2 minutes and mildly shakes everything on top of it. This all boils down to the fact that the sound isolation in the Hotel may need some improvement.

However, again this is one of the most luxury hotels I have ever been to in Europe, and far much better than five stars hotels in Spain itself. Rooms are spacious and the location of the Hotel is the best in Barcelona.

1  Thank Louai_AZ
Reviewed 15 July 2009

Hotel 1898 is an oasis of calm in a lively,vibrant and colourful city . The location is in the heart of tourist Barcelona and as with any such a location you will get to see all walks of life (an open mind is necessary for the Ramblas, particularly late at night) and is great for people watching. We had no problems with the petty crime that Barcelona seems to be associated with and the location provides plenty of choice for eating, drinking and sight seeing. It was the perfect location for us.
The hotel itself was peaceful and relaxing and the lounge area by the bar was a great place to enjoy the complementary afternoon tea and biscuits after a hectic day of sightseeing. The spa area and indoor pool with it's multi jet massagers was also ideal for unwinding before going out again later in the evening ( many restaurants don't seem to get going much before about 9 pm) and was never busy. Staff in all areas of the hotel were always friendly,professional and polite.
We had a superior room with a small Juliette balcony overlooking a square to the rear of the hotel. This is a lively square with good bars and restaurants frequented by many locals as well as tourists and we could certainly feel the buzz of the city by being able to stand and watch all that went on there. However, come night time, good double glazing made sure that we heard nothing from it and come the morning we were down there having our breakfast in Bar Lobo which offered a great choice in a great location for a great price. Definitely better value than the hotel breakfast at 20 euros per person.
We used the rooftop for evening drinks and daytime sunbathing and felt like we were a million miles from the hubbub outside of the hotel and the views of Barcelona and it's surroundings are stunning.
If we are ever in Barcelona again we wouldn't even consider looking for somewhere else to stay.

1  Thank tabithaEngland
Reviewed 14 July 2009

We arrived early and our room was ready. Very accomodating and extremely helpful desk staff. Loved the 7th floor pool - could have stayed longer. Beautifully decorated with couches and umbrellas for shade. Room was typical European and the bath was very modern. Free computer and internet access helped too.

Reviewed 11 July 2009

My wife and I stayed for 2 nights at H1898 on July 2&3rd of 2009. We spent a total of 5 nights in Barcelona and spent the other 3 nights at a Hilton (where we used reward points for a free stay).
The Hotel 1898 is a beautiful hotel with a boutique feel that happens to be right on the equivalent of Barcelona's time square. The decor in the lobby is a perfect combo of classic design, dark rich wood, satillo tile, while having an element of minimalism. The lobby is just about the perfect place to sit and hang out. We paid more for a Deluxe room on the 5th floor (room 535) that has a patio. It was worth it to have a place to chill out and absorb the city. The room was on the side street (pintor fortuny) and street noise was never an issue. Our room had everything you would expect from a 4-5 star hotel. The linens were perfect (high thread count), the bed was a true king size, the AC was great, the lighting was recessed and computer controled with different dim settings and master controled from bed side, there was a sound system to accomodate an ipod, a flat panel wall mount tv, turn down service, etc. The bathroom was large enough. There was a heated towel rack, woderful shampoo's etc, lots of counter space and floor to ceiling marble.

We also used the hotel spa. My wife and I both had massages. We've been to some of the best spa's in the world and while this was certainly nice, it did not compare to the resort-spa experience. I will say that for the limited physical space they did an incredible job. The therapists were definately well trained and I had a cinamon treatment.

We never had a meal at the hotel, but we did have dessert on the roof. It was very good. I have to say that spending time late at night on the roof was a great, safe and less chaotic way of taking in the night time La Rambla experience.

The one draw back to this hotel is also one of its strongest points. The location is right on a street (la Rambla) that is not only busy, but a bit strange at times. While that might sound bad it is also good. You are right in the middle of almost every Barcelona attraction you could want. There is also a metro stop about 20 meters from the hotel. There are great places to eat nearby too. Look up La Creme Canela, Taller de Tapas, Brown 33. There is also a Starbucks that is essentially connected to the lobby.

One of my highlights was getting up early throwing on yesterday's dirty clothes and walking (almost) next door to the Mercat de la Boqueria and getting fruit, pastries and coffee and bringing it back to the patio of our room. Great memories and a great hotel if you can handle La Rambla.

1  Thank Billyphx
Reviewed 9 July 2009

First, why would you name a hotel after the year you lost a war? The decor is all about that time period, and is very dark. The views from the roof were good, but the pool is slightly larger than a bathtub. The best feature of this hotel is the underground pool connected to the spa.

If I had it to do again, I would not stay anywhere near La Rambla. After spending a few days in quiet dignified Madrid, Barcelona seemed like Coney Island by the sea. However, to its credit, inside the Hotel 1898 was cool and quiet.

If you like noise and a crush of tourists, La Rambla is for you. If not, find another neighborhood.

Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank mayla
Reviewed 8 July 2009

We recently stayed four nights in June. The location is good and the price seemed right. For the first two nights my daughter and I stayed together in one room. My husband was to join us for the third and fourth nights. When I checked-in I informed the hotel staff that my husband would be joining us. Gosh, I feel that I am such a nice and easy going person and we would pay a little extra and everything would be fine. That was a wrong assumption.

The person at the desk was extremely insistent that we would have to pay for an additional room at a very high rate. There was no give, and they were not pleasant about the situation in anyway. They told us that we were "breaking the law" and they turned-off the power to our room to force us to pay! Wow, now that is tough! I really think that they don't want families with children -- so that maybe a plus for some.

So lots of bad karma here and it is hard to separate this experience from the other aspects of the hotel. Generally speaking I do feel that there is a very uptight and perhaps some bias toward Americans. I would avoid this hotel. There are plenty other options in the area.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family
7  Thank ajatravel
RobertoCifuentes, Director de Recepción at Hotel 1898, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2016

Dear madame,

First of all we would like to thank you for your time on TA.

We would like to kindly mention that our all our rooms are only double and we do not have connecting rooms, family rooms or extra beds. We can put a baby cot on the room for babies until 2 years old and also allow children until 5 years old using existing facilities with no extra charge. However, we are unable to give allotment to 3 adults or children older than this age as we do not have existing facilities to accomodate them.

This information is in every selling portal and it is not possible to book more that 2 people for room because of that. However, we would like to apologize if you had a bad impression during your stay and take note to improve the service we give to our guests.