“Great location, great service and loved having the terrace”
Review of Hotel 1898

Hotel 1898
Ranked #32 of 520 Hotels in Barcelona
Reviewed 6 January 2010

We took a group of 15 close friends to Barcelona to celebrate New Year's. We ended up selecting Hotel 1898 over The Meridien based on the decor and traveler reviews (they are across the street from each other and right on Las Ramblas). The proximity to The Boqueria was the clincher over Hotel Omm (a trendier option if thats what you are looking for). We had two of our best meals in the Boqueria (one breakfast and one lunch) and were psyched to be only 2 blocks from it. Contrary to many of the reviews on this site, I did not hear ANY noise from our room at night and we slept soundly. The rooms were clean (housekeeping does a great job maintaining the property), roomy and the bathroom was nice (granite, towl heater, badet, etc). We highly recommend upgrading to a deluxe room for the 100+ sq ft terrace. We also found the concierge to be very helpful in assisting us with our New Year's plans before we arrived and we also asked them to make a dinner reccomendation for us that turned out to be surprisingly good (El Pintor) though a little pricey for what it was (to be expected in a touristy area). The hotel is a few blocks from notable sightseeing including the Gothic Quarter, Picasso musuem and stops for both the red and blue line buses (see below). The only negatives were the lack of irons in the rooms (though we never really needed them) and our king bed which was actually two twins put togther but not connected (if you toss and turn they will move apart since the floors are hardwood). We didnt have time to test out the Spa or the restaurant on premisis. For context, this is a good 4 star property. Some other things to note:

- Use the red and blue line buses to see the city. You can hop on and off at any of the stops and they go everywhere for just 21 euros a person.
-Eat breakfast at the Boqueria. The tapas counter right at the entrance has amazing omelets, chick peas and churros.
-Get to the Sagrada Familia early or you will end up in a 3hr+ line to get inside.
-A number of the highly rated restaurants we wanted to try were closed for the holiday through Jan 4th.
-Take taxis late night... we had a couple in our group get mugged on their way to the Metro a few blocks outside of Club Shoko. This can happen in any city but given the 20% unemployment, pickpocketing is prob on the rise.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with friends
4  Thank DondeNJ
Write a ReviewReviews (4,705)

Reviewed 4 January 2010

Stayed five nights from Dec 27. Great location on Ramplas, although going up and down the street after a couple of times may be a bit tiring with all the crowds. Rooms decent sized (one Privilege and one Superior) with nice amenities and very clean. Staff helpful and English speaking. Good breakfast, a bit dear though at EUR 20 per person.

On the negative side, we had booked the rooms back in November, but had to cancel as my son got sick. He got better very quickly, and when we tried to book again (on Boxing day), we found out that the same rooms where much more expensive.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank taksidiariko-pouli
Reviewed 4 January 2010

Just stayed for 2 nights in a delux room (private balcony) and can't really fault it. There have been a few negative comments about the service in reception, I can only comment on what I saw and they were unbelievably helpful and helped orgainse flowers and champagne as a surprise for our anniversary. Rooms were maybe a bit small but it is a city centre hotel and more often than not the rooms are a bit smaller than you would expect. The balcony was fantastic and nearly as big as the bedroom but unfortunately due to the cold weather we were unable to use it to its full potential. We did eat in the restaurant one night and the food and service was good and not overly expensive, we also eat at The Attic which is directly opposite the hotel on the other side of the road, the food and service was also good here but on the whole you need to go away from La Ramblas to experience true local cuisine. Highly recommended!!

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sionkw
Reviewed 4 January 2010

Conferencing in November 2009 in Barcelona, and I wanted to stay somewhere central, somewhere nice. Loved the reviews, and loved the look of the hotel.

Check-in and desk service was wonderful. The room was great. Breakfast was good. The location was superb (there wasn't a view from the room, but this didn't worry me).

Then, two nights before I was leaving, my luggage had a lock removed and the zip damaged on a side pocket. The lock was fine in the morning, and the damage was noticed on my return that evening. The lock was nowhere to be found in the room. I reported this the next morning. Apparently according to the security video and door log the only person to enter the room was the maid... I was told it was not possible that the maid was responsible... I was asked if I had broken my luggage during my flight and had perhaps forgotten about it...!!!

Point to note - even when there is a "Don't disturb" sign on the door, staff (at least I think they are staff) still enter the room. They left on my luggage in the room on one occasion whilst I was at breakfast, but the "Don't disturb" sign was still on the door.

The management did respond after one week, and offered to pay the expense of repairing my luggage, but this was only after I sent a pointed reply to the "I hope you had a nice stay" email.

It is a fantastic location, with great rooms, but I just wouldn't feel safe staying there again.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled on business
4  Thank billthoo
RobertoCifuentes, Director de Recepción at Hotel 1898, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2016

Dear geust,

First of all we would like to thank you for your time on TA.

We remark that security is one main aim in our Hotel and it has top importance in our policies. We apologize if there was any wrong procedure or mistake during your stay, but this not our normal way of work. If 'Do not disturb hangs on the Door' we do not get in. Also if the key is inside the room the 'Do not disturb' light shines on the door and again we do not get in the room if no specific instruction of the guest or major cause.

As you mentioned we have a strong secutiry system of key log and cameras to control the security during your stay.

We would like to apologize again for the impression you had from us.

Reviewed 2 January 2010

I picked this hotel because of the reviews. I was travelling for work and decided to stay a week in Barcelona. I splurged on the room with the patio - SKIP IT! You can't see anything because the patio walls are so high. That is my only complaint. The room was adorable and the pillow menu was a crack up. I ordered room service and had the Caresse sandwich - the key is to have them toast it. The staff was very attentive and even the maid noticed i was preparing a dry cleaning bag and took care of it for me with out me saying a word. The location is perfect. You can walk up the street to the tour bus stops and down the street to the open air market. You are right on the Ramblas so you can watch people all day long if you like. There is a Starbucks right downstairs (I know that is so American, but sometimes you just want your Latte!).

I walked to the Palau de la Música Catalana and all over. If you go down the little street next to the hotel a few blocks to Dr. Dou street and make a right there is an amazing bakery. There are lots of great places to explore on the side streets around the hotel. The bathroom was beautiful - loved the tub! They give you robe and slippers which is a huge plus. I went to the spa for a massage and that was very nice. Don't think it is a great big spa, it is two rooms in the health club but very nice (about $200 USD for 90 minutes). They have a roof top pool and there are great views of the city from up there. There is an amazing grotto type pool in the gym area and a few cardio machines. The sauna and steam room are nice, but the sauna was not hot enough for me. It is all co-ed so you need to bring a swim suit. The bar stays open late and there are plenty of place to sit and hang out there without feeling like you are in a bar. The decorating is beautiful. I used the business center to print my tickets.

A sign of a good hotel- they had a mega magnifying mirror in the bathroom. They also had a towel warmer which I love because of hot towels but you can also dry clothes on it. Ok, so I really liked it and I would go back. My fav little thing...every night with the turn down service they leave a little dish with a few gilded candies - just the perfect thing after a long day or night on the town.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled solo
2  Thank thg07
Reviewed 2 January 2010

There is no doubt that this is a beautiful, high quality hotel. Service was efficient, the communal areas (lobby, pools etc) were top class and it's location on La Rambla was convenient. However, when you consider value for money, I think there may be better on offer. The room was tiny (superior room) and although there was a view (unlike the classic interior rooms), it was of an adjacent hotel. You couldn't leave the curtains open as people looked directly into the room. Also, the location of the room, next to the lifts meant that we heard the constant 'ding dong' of people coming and going. We decided to put up with it as we were only visiting for 2 days, however, for me, when you are paying over £150 a night for a room, you want to feel like staying in! A couple more negatives...(sorry!) The walls were paper thin, we couldn't check in until after 2:30pm, yet the desk staff would not accommodate a late check out (even though we understood that the room was available). All in all, it is a 4* hotel in a prime location but in terms of value for money and room quality, it was a let down.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank DSB25
Reviewed 30 December 2009

If you stay in this hotel, you wont be dissapionted. This was one of the best places i have stayed in (around that world). The pool and gym and pool was great. I was in barcelona for 3 days, and i would make it longer. if i did, i would stay with them the whole time, no doubts. they speak english and helped me when ever i needed!! If I was to say a negative, the rooms was on the small side. that being said, it didnt matter because we were in a fantastic place, and a fantastic location.

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled with friends