“Good location, nice management”
Review of Chic & Basic Lemon

Chic & Basic Lemon
Ranked #318 of 515 Hotels in Barcelona
Reviewed 20 October 2012 via mobile

Located right next to the Universitat metro stop, about 10 min from Placa de Catalunya. Rooms spacious, though minimal furniture. Staff always courteous & nice to give us a room with a balcony with excellent views. Daily cleaning thorough & must leave our keys behind when we go out. Wifi strong in our room cuz they got a separate server for each floor. Only complaint is the meager breakfast. It's buffet style but only 1 croissant, some small packaged dry toast & tiny cake, packaged cut fruit available. Wouldn't it be cheaper for them to buy & provide fresh fruits? Must be some reason why everything is pre-packed. I really craved some protein! But some bkft definitely better than none. There's a Big Bite across the street that sells delicious subs for €2+ and several cafes nearby. Just by the location, cleanliness, & professionalism of the staff, I will recommend Marvi.

Reviewed 17 October 2012

Hotel Marvi is in an excellent position with comfortable, extremely clean rooms. The staff are most helpful and welcoming.
I had read about possible noise but had no problem. My room was on the first floor, overlooking the Carre de Pelai and, as soon as I closed the french window to the balcony, the noise could not be heard.
I would have liked tv with some English channels but you can't have everything! Previous reviews have mentioned the breakfast which is not great. I think the addition of self service fruit (rather than the pre packed offering which was meagre) would make breakfast more acceptable. I visited the fabulous food market close by and was amazed by the variety of fruit on offer at good prices. The addition of a toaster would also have improved the experience for me.
Since I knew what to expect, it was not a big deal. I had tea/coffee/juice which kept me going until I got to one of the many cafes in the immediate vicinity.
Because I knew what to expect, I consider I got overall good value for money in such a centrally placed Barcelona hotel.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank mariamcb
Reviewed 17 October 2012

Basic but comfortable and clean rooms.

Excellent location - you can get anywhere in Barcelona in about 15 minutes.

Staff could be more friendly but no issues.

Breakfast needs improvement. Some cereals or fresh bread would be good.

Would stay again if on a budget. A good little cheap hotel in great spot.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Leigh1982
Reviewed 15 October 2012

We stayed at the hotel Marvi for 4 nights and just returned yesterday and I couldn't have been more impressed with the place.
It was much cheaper than so many hotels we looked at as Barcelona is so expensive for accommodation. I have to say we weren't expecting much but it was great.
It's ideally located if you're getting the bus from the airport into the centre (Aerobus runs every 10 mins or so, costs just under 6 euros per person and takes half an hour). Get off at Universidat (the stop before Placa Catalunya) and the hotel is literally just over the road.
It's a 10 minute walk if that down to Placa Catalunya and therefore Las Ramblas when you want to get in on the action but far enough away that you're not kept away by noisy bars etc.
The hotel is really clean, good size bathroom with hairdryer complimentary toiletries etc and the staff really helpful.
My only negative would be the breakfast isn't anything to write home about but there's nothing actually wrong with it. Croissants, biscuits and cartons of fresh fruit - just not that exciting. Instead we walked down Las Ramblas to the Boqueria food market and bought fruit, smoothies, bread, cheese etc from there.
All in all if you're looking for a reasonably priced hotel I don't think you can go far wrong. It's not luxury but it's absolutely not trying to be. I'd definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: The rooms at the back are quieter
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 October 2012

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 September 2012

The location is perfect with the subway just around the corner and near to many famous
places.The staff was nice and obliging.A silent and clean room was fully acceptable.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 August 2012

Came into Barcelona in an attempt to get to nicer weather, having been on Camino from Pamplona to Burgos...online there were no hotels available, big soccer game coming up that next weekend and all. We trained into town and stopped at the tourist shop there at the SANTS train station and lucked into two young ladies working there who spoke perfect English. So they put us onto the Marvi, what a treat. We got a room for four or five nights, up in the back of the hotel so there wasn't any noise at night. Their breakfasts were fine, fruit, coffee or tea, croissants, the typical fair. The rooms was quite clean, bathroom large with a great shower, towels thick, I'll stay there again when we return. Atleast thats my story...
Staff helped with directions, even pointed us to several restaurants that the locals enjoy. From the Marvi you're able to walk pretty much everywhere, and if not the subway line is just out the door and across the street, so even if it's raining you're fine.
Enjoy Barcelona, stay at the Marvi, Great Value !!!
Cheers, Salida, Colorado

Room Tip: IN the Back, off the street
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family