“disappointing”
Review of Hostal Gat Xino

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Barcelona
Hostal Gat Xino
Ranked #512 of 736 Speciality Lodging in Barcelona
Reviewed 21 January 2012

I was in a hurry when making the reservation without reading about the hostal first. So now I can only confirm some of the reviews here: everything looks much nicer on the pictures than in reality. The single room was tiny and didn't even have a chair to put things on. I don't think that a chair was too much to ask. The cleanliness was normal and the breakfast was okay, just a little bit of cereal, toast and ham and muffins, even though there was no real coffee (the coffee from the vending machine was horrible so I was stuck with Nescafe). The location is quite good and I didn't find the area scary to walk through alone at night. My room was quite enought though at the price of having no real daylight. I'm sure you could find a nicer room for the price in as good a location.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business

Reviewed 29 December 2011

I stayed in Gat xino 5 nights and a single room cost me an average of 75 eur/night which is not exactly what i call cheap. The location was fine for me as i had lived in the Raval area before and its very central. The room was small but nice and the breakfast was pretty plain but fine. i also enjoyed the 'chill out area' where i could work on my presentation while enjoying my coffee.
One day before i left i had a bad incident though...I was walking back to my room from breakfast and i saw a huge bug on my room door a really big one that was about to enter my room. One of the cleaning ladies helped me kill it as she saw me screaming. I would make a big deal about it but when i mentioned it to the front desk the girl acted like if nothing had happened. It seemed to me nery impolite and i cant imagine what would have happened if i found that thing on my bed...

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank lianitsa
Reviewed 10 December 2011

For the most part, the room was fine, it was small, but that was to be expected. However, the street noise was unbearable! You could hear everything outside, at all times of the night since people are still out way past 2am walking the streets. In addition the pillows were horrible! I have started to realize that if you want to stay in a hostel or cheaper hotel, then you better carry your own pillow with you. Finally, I had booked the suite and they gave me two rooms instead. They should have reduced the price, but they still charged the same price. The only good part was that the staff was friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 September 2011

Modern and very clean with a very international clientele. Friendly and helpful staff. A great place to stay that is very central to the ramblas, cataluyna square and the old port. A good breakfast gets you on your way each morning and there are many interesting local restaurants and bars in the area. The subway is only a few blocks away. Try agliolio e peperoncina restaurant that is next door to gat xino. say hello to mary and saby and try their fresh pasta dishes. They are very inexpensive and really delicious, authentic Italian cuisine. Zelig is also a good local bar for cheap drinks and tapas.

I would definitely stay at gat xino again when traveling to Barcelona. It was a charming and inexpensive, modern hostal with a very central location in Barcelona.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank john m
Reviewed 8 September 2011

I would never stay here again. There are far better deals in Barcelona than this place. The rooms are incredibly small, with rock hard mattresses and bare bone details. It's clean, but that's really the only thing going for the place.
The TV was smaller than my laptop monitor and didn't work most of the time. The hostal says that it has wireless in the rooms, but that didn't really work either. There is only one computer in the "lobby" which is hardly big enough to fit more than 2 people. The "chill out" area is also very small and quite unwelcoming, with hard wooden benches and low tables. No one seems to use it because the atmosphere has zero charm. Breakfast is incredibly poor... stale bread, tea and coffee. The eating area is tiny and you have to cram in elbow to elbow with other guests. I also thought the staff were only as nice as they had to be, and weren't helpful with information at all. I asked about recommendations for things and I'd just get a shrug and dismissive "walk to the Rambla" for an answer. I moved to another hotel on La Rambla after a few nights, which was cheaper and far more comfortable. Gat Xino is also quite far from everything, it's NOT 5 minutes from most of the places it claims to be on the website, more like 15 to 20 minutes of walking.
Don't waste your time or money at Gat Xino, I would never recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 August 2011

We stayed one night after booking for 4. The room was small, noisy, uncomfortable and lacked the amenities we expected, and got elsewhere in Barcelona for less money. The flat screen TV was the size of a postage stamp, the bed was rock hard but the linen clean. The remote control had to be asked for from reception, the safes were extra cost and in reception, the only internet access was... you guessed it, in reception. The bed was rock hard but the linen clean. Needles to say you had no privacy or room for more than one person in reception. A note for less mobile travellers, the lift carries luggage only after you have lugged it up the two flights of stairs to reception.
Our room suffered constant noise at night from the road and street (it needs double glazing) until early morning when the kitchen staff start a routine of banging everything they can. With so much noise from the kitchen we were expecting a fantastic breakfast... No, a very lousy array of tired cereal and stale bread (in Spain!!!). As other reviewers note the tables had to be fought over, the outdoor terrace a minute hot house, the crockery chipped and not very clean.
In the morning we looked for somewhere else to stay and found a better, quieter, less "trendy" cheaper room right on Las Ramblas. The staff would not give us a refund for the
next night but it was so bad we decided to not stay one more even though we could not get our money back. We did get a refund on the next two nights however.
In summary... the area is seedy but not scary, the hostel IS more than 5 from Las Ramblas. Do NOT believe the reviews in Lonely Planet. Gat Xino is not worth the money.

Room Tip: There may be a best room but it would not be worth the risk.