“Location, Location, Location”

Vincci Gala Barcelona
Ranked #74 of 517 Hotels in Barcelona
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 18 August 2014

This is a reasonably priced, extremely well located hotel right in the heart of Barcelona. It is barely three minutes from the Playa Catalunya. At the outset let me say that my "average" rating for this hotel is only because there isn't a "good" option. It would ideally be "good" in my books.

This hotel has an awesome group of people working at reception - always helpful, always polite and always with a smile. I particularly remember Sara, but that's because I happened to engage with her the most. The others were equally superb in the way they handled any issues I faced. The bellboy was extremely helpful too.

The breakfast is excellent as well, and must be noted. Room service for food or other bits and pieces was prompt and personable. The rooms, or at least the room I got, was a bit squeezed and the view was not great, but I suppose in the city centre, you are not likely to see more from the balcony than other buildings....

The photos on websites of the hotel give the impression that it is grander in terms of space than it actually is, but they really needn't do that because what is actually there is good enough. It is tastefully decorated with that special Spanish sensibility that in its greatest expression gives you a Dali or a Gaudi... This is the general decor. Nothing is spared in terms of functionality. The bathroom is excellent with top of the line GROHE and Porcelanosa fittings, which always make a long stay more pleasurable.

If there is a complaint, it is that the maid service was not great. The turnover of sheets/towels, and indifferent arranging of the room (glasses not replaced, clothes left unarranged) was something I noticed instantly. If the maids who do up the rooms are trained to be as attentive to detail as the reception desk staff are, then this hotel will be a 5/5 - with an overall Very Good or Excellent rating.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank JaiMenon
VincciHoteles, Atención al Cliente at Vincci Gala Barcelona, responded to this reviewResponded 10 September 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you for your comments, we are pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay with us.

We take note of each and every one of our customers' observations, complaints, suggestions and comments, for the purpose of our improvement..

We hope to be able to welcome you again soon at our hotel.

With best wishes,
Carmen Fernández

Reviewed 15 August 2014

Stayed there just a few weeks after the opening we were really amazed the the hospitality of the staff and the fantastic interior of the whole hotel and the rooms.
We had a nice room with a balcony to the backyard which was perfect for a late glass wine. The room itself was very nice designed and offered comfortable beds and a spacious bathroom.
The reception staff was very friendly and offered some nice suggestions.
Also the waiters at the breakfast room were very attentive and the breakfast itself simply fantastic - a very big variety of fresh fruits, cold meat and cheese, nespresso coffee.
The hotel can only be highly recommended - it was really one of the best stays I ever had in a hotel!

Room Tip: I like the rooms to the small backyard with balcony
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Paul_E_Pop
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Stayed here for four nights at the end of July. it was just what we wanted. It is five minutes from Catalunya square, very clean and the staff were helpful and courteous. The room was also clean with a great bathroom and shower. The bar at the back of the hotel is great place to get a drink, not expensive either. We do not have breakfast at the hotel but went to the bakery called 365 a few doors up. Great value. About 25 euros each way from the hotel in a taxi. Also few wi-fi

Reviewed 10 August 2014

I made reservations for this hotel after reading all of the positive reviews on TripAdvisor. Unfortunately, our experience was mostly negative. I was traveling with a friend, and I made reservations for two separate beds. Upon arriving, they “upgraded” our room to a single bed… After taking some time to explain that we needed two beds, they gave us a different room. Unfortunately, the new room had a door that led to another room that was currently occupied. There was no way to prevent us from getting into their room or vice versa. This made me very leery, having brought a lot of tech equipment. However, I was tired and didn’t want a hassle, so we took the room. The hotel uses only European plugs, thinking ahead, I brought an adapter. Upon plugging it in, a circuit was blown and all of the power in the room was lost. We again went to the front desk and they fixed the problem. I tried to the adapter on a different plug, but had the same thing happen. I asked the desk if they encountered this before, and they said “sometimes.” They offered no solution to plugin our North American devices. Our biggest problem happened at night. The walls are paper thin and when the neighbors began entering their rooms, we heard their conversations as if they were in the room with us (which I had to open my eyes and check for sure since we shared a door). We listened to a 3-hour Spanish soap opera between our neighbors, as they noisily argued and slammed doors until the early morning hours.
The Pros:
Clean hotel
Free and quick wifi
Very modern appealing design
Looks new
Good location, within 10 minute walk to La Rambla

The Cons:
VERY thin walls - not recommended if you are a light sleeper like I am
The young women receptionists seemed annoyed with our problems (the older ones were much nicer).
Security risk if you end up in a room with a shared door
Small rooms

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Jeffrey L
VincciHoteles, Atención al Cliente at Vincci Gala Barcelona, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2014

Dear guest,

We are sorry to hear that your stay with us was not what you expected. We take note of each and every one of our customers' observations, complaints, suggestions and comments, for the purpose of our improvement.

Our staff is known for offering exquisite treatment and attention to all our customers. We are sorry that in your case you did not feel that that was the case.

We are at your service for anything that you may need.

With best wishes,

Carmen Fernández

Reviewed 8 August 2014

Stayed here for 3 nights in Aug 2014. We were a bit apprehensive as I believe this is a pretty new hotel and so there was a lack of reviews when we booked. the location is absolutely superb. Less than half a mile from Plaça de Catalunya and the top of Las Ramblas, 24 hour supermarket opposite and less than a hundred yards from Urquinaona metro station. Perfect location.

Our room had a king sized bed and was on the 3rd floor. It also featured an interconnecting door. Although we could hear the conversations of the guests next door, it wasn't a massive problem as they tended to go quiet at a reasonable time but keep this in mind.

No swimming pool but we knew this before booking and wasn't essential for us on a city break to be honest. Bar closed at 12 and not open even to residents afterwards but naturally, there are plenty of places around the city to eat and drink later if desired. (The taxis after the metro closed were very reasonable. €7 from Port Olímpic back to Plaça Urquinaona which is 50 yards from the hotel)

The bar terrace is absolutely lovely, as was the decor in the room. Very clean, stylish and modern, even featuring audio inputs and a HDMI input to the TV.

This hotel comes with my highest recommendation. Enjoyed our stay!

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Alun J
Reviewed 4 August 2014

We stayed here last week for six nights and were impressed with the location, quite close to Plaza de Catalunya, and the hotel itself. The hotel was contemporary and the rooms were very clean and well laid out. we even had a balcony even though it was overlooked by the back of some private flats so no inappropriate behaviour is recommended. The air conditioning is silent and effective (a true novelty)...that is the only thing that is silent....we had an interconnecting door to the next room and the sound deadening in the walls was of the pringle crisp variety....i.e. non-existent...we had two American college girls in the next room one of whom happily burped loudly on a number of occasions believing no-one could hear her....we even heard them discussing the merits of their male friends 'sexual' prowess...too much information. On the last night when they piled in at 3.00am worse for wear and played youtube clips on their phone and squealed loudly...I got out of bed and knocked on the door and politely told them we could hear everything and whilst we wanted them to have a fun holiday, and were not averse to a party or two ourselves, we could hear everything...they were mortified and apologised profusely. This hotel is very nice and well priced but unless you sleep like a tranquillised elephant I would caution you that if someone dropped a pin in reception you would likely hear it on the 4th floor. I am not damning the hotel, far from it, I would stay again and getting silence in a busy city hotel is nigh on impossible but I would ask reception who your neighbours are first :-)

Room Tip: Not ours....I would ask if it has an inter-connecting door
3  Thank Laurence A
Reviewed 4 August 2014

I stayed here for three nights in July 2014 with my wife. We were upgraded to a superior room when we arrived, which was greatly appreciated. The room was quite large and overlooked the street out front. The room was tastefully decorated. The location can't be beat. You are only a short walk to all of the sights. The staff was extremely helpful during our entire stay. I would definitely stay here again.

2  Thank Mountee