“clean but noisy”

Ranked #605 of 721 Speciality Lodging in Barcelona
Antwerp
“clean but noisy”
Reviewed 6 April 2008

As our first hotel was not clean at all (the lady of the hotel wasn't even surprised when we told her she had cockroaches in her hotel...) we hasted to seek another one.
We ended up at San Ramons. It is about 200m off the ramblas so it wasn't very hard to find. It's true that it's nearby the red light district, but nobody ever bothered me or my boyfriend. You do not have to pass through the red lights to get there.
The staff was very friendly and our room was really clean. We had a shower and a toilet ensuite. We paid 52 euros a night which seemed a bargain compaired to the other hotels in Barcelona. A lot of hostels ask a much higher price for the same services.

• Liked — the service
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Spain
Reviewed 23 March 2008

I think that the other reviews are unfair, unless that you are the kind of person who is going to faint at the sight of a prostitute or a client. Yes, there are prostitutes around and other reviewers claimed to have been approached by prostitutes or clients. Well, if that happens you decline the invitation and that's it (I, being a man, walked through a group of prostitutes, did not make eye contact with them was not approached by any of them).

Other than that, the people at reception are very nice and the price is OK for Barcelona (it would be expensive in any other Spanish city).

• Liked — check in
  • Disliked — location
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled solo
7 Thank Chumy
Gothenburg, Sweden
Reviewed 26 July 2006

I stayed here as part of a school trip (I hasten to add, not my trip!), the number of prostitues was amazing, even working at 9am on a Sunday morning, a colleague's purse was stolen right under her nose, students were propostioned, and offered 30 Euros for their services! Drugs were also readily available. We had to ask for towels to be changed, the floor to be cleaned, and the ants and cockroaches were something else! And at 58 Euros a night, it was a bit much!
The noise at night time was horrendous, pimps and prostitutes fighting, and the heavy duty ear plugs do not work.
However, there is a positive note, the staff are wonderful, they are kind, helpful and delightful. And if it hadn't have been for them, keeping me smiling through it all, I would have been on the first flight home.

• Liked — The staff
  • Disliked — The rooms
  • Tips/Secrets — Don't stay there!
  • Stayed May 2006
4 Thank Alcazar

Travellers are raving about these Barcelona hotels

London
Reviewed 5 September 2005

We booked a week at this hostel but after reading reviews on this site we decided to swop to another hotel. When we got to Barcelona we went along to take a look out of curiosity and we are so relieved that we didn´t stay there. It´s down a dodgy road right in the middle of the red light district. The street is full of prostitutes day and night (we went along at 10pm then again at 11am the next day and it was a disturbing experience both times!)

As two women travelling alone we would not have felt safe at this hostel. We´d strongly advise others not to stay here. There are plenty of nicer hostels and hotels nearby which aren´t much more expensive.

Don´t stay here!

• Stayed August 2005
4 Thank Jen41
Scotland
Reviewed 28 June 2005

If only I had seen a review of this before I booked it. This is a lesson in 'just because it has a website doesn't mean it's OK'. The were prostitutes all over the street outside - not on any of the other streets really, just this one! Although some streets were a bit scary nearby. Very dark. I had paid for 8 nights, and we had to pay on arrival - foolishly didn't check the room before hand, and the receipt said 'no refunds' all over it. Hmm... The room itself was small and basic - bed, shower and sink (ensuite apparently doesn't include a toilet - we had to share the once down the hall with the rest of the floor. Cleaned every day, but still not that pleasant. Some of the other residents appeared to be the Spanish equivalent of DSS - not tourists) - but the room was clean. So if it weren't for the prostitutes it might have been an acceptable condition. Except that there was something very wrong with the drains. Every night a smell of sewage came up out of them. Really gagging strong smell. I'm not kidding. Oh my god, it wokes us up it was so strong. And opening the window was no good as it seemed to smell outside too (indeed the street at the front is pretty stinky). There was a fan on the ceiling, which was very noisy and wobbled like it might have been about to fall off an kills us, but the noise was handy in that the walls were rather thin. I'm sure the noises we could here were couples and not clients...at least I slept marginally better thinking that. The walls are VERY THIN. I can only put it like that. Anything further would mean the review would not make it to the website.

Need I go on? I cannot think of a single reason why you might choose to stay here. Unless I suppose you're on a very dodgy stag weekend and have no problems being surrounded by prostitutes and not getting any sleep. In which case you don't deserve to be getting married!

• Stayed September 2004
4 Thank tighttraveller
new york, ny
Reviewed 27 April 2005

Please be wary of staying in this establishment, especially if you are female. My girfriend and I were in Barcelona for 3 days and were supposed to stay at Pension San Ramon for the last 2 nights.

This is the address
c/ San Ramón nº 15
08001 - Barcelona

We took a walk to check the place out and there were prostitutes all over the street. They were soliciting in front of and across the street. We were freaked out and went inside to cancel the booking and noticed that it was pretty dingy.

It is only 1 star by European standards and inexpensive and the rooms itself may have been okay, but I just wanted to let people know what to expect.

5 Thank iltte