“Decent Hostel”

Hostal Pension San Ramon
Ranked #616 of 735 Speciality Lodging in Barcelona
Reviewed 21 August 2009

Although in the red district, the hostel has nothing to do with the "ladies" around. The hostel itself is very nice, very clean, very friendly receptionists. The only problem was the size of the room...I've never seen such a small room in my whole life...and I did travel a lot!!! But it was clean, it had AC and a nice bathroom. It was a it noisy outside and the wondows didn't block any of it. The greatest part about the hostal is its location. Close to the center, the Rambla, the beach and the Metro (well, about 500m away). I would recomand it for young tourists

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled on business

Reviewed 24 July 2009

The hostal is located in a street full of pushers and prostitutes, the staff is unpleasant, they ask you to pay in advance without even let you see the room. They also ask you for a 10 euros deposit for the controller of the air-conditioning. There are no facilities and the elevator is one-tiny-person-size. My room was dirty, with breadcrumbs and dust on the floor, the furniture was old and dirty too (it seemed stained by some liquid fallen), there were holes and stains on the blankets. The window was closed by a sort of divider to avoid the unpleasant sight of the prostitutes and their guests on the street. The walls and the doors seemed to be made out of paper, you can hear everything from the other guests, and even keeping the window closed i wasn't able to sleep because of the noise coming from the street.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 June 2009

When I first arrived at the reception, I was not greeted with welcoming warmth. After getting a bit lost on the way and shocked by the prostitutes scene. I was expecting at least a smile from the staff, but I didn’t get any smile but was demanded immediate payment for 3 days instead. I was quite surprised by the fact that even I have given my credit card details when I booked it online, I was still been asked to make full payment plus 7% tax. It took me a while to understand their system especially they speak very little English. I suggested to pay for one night first but they refused. They insisted that they have not taken my money from my credit card online yet. And I was forced to pay for 3 days, if I not I would have lost my reservation. I was extremely tired and didn’t wish to walk around with my suitcase at mid night, so I agreed.
The room was tiny, a single bed with a small closet. I like the modern sink with a mirror in the corner and the room was clean and they clean the room daily. The depressing thing is the tiny window looking into the dark. The good thing is the air conditioning and a small flat screen t.v. The shared bathroom toilet was modern and clean.
I could hardly have a good night sleep due to the thin walls. I have been constantly woken up my neighbouring guests. The rooms were built so close to each other with the thinnest walls. I felt claustrophobic the whole time there. It was depressing to come to a beautiful city and stayed in a place so small, dark, noisy and unfriendly. The thing I utterly disgusted was the prostitutes on the door step. They are there day and night. I was harassed by dirty old men and young street boys a couple of times while walking out of the pension. Being a single female traveller, I felt vulnerable walking around there.
The reception staff were unfriendly and spoke very little English. The fat senior woman on the day shift was incredibly miserable. She even cursed me when I asked to get to my suitcase in the storage room. She waived her hand to ask me leave when I asked for direction to a nearby street. The only helpful and friendly staff was a chubby

Stayed: June 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank femalelonetraveller
Reviewed 12 April 2009

Let's get to everybody's complaint first - the prostitutes. Yes, this area is relatively rampant with prostitutes. They will be standing on the street on both sides of the hotel and they will definitely verbally harass guys. We had a somewhat unnerving experience on our first night - they actually physically grabbed us, bent over in front of us and rubbed against us, etc. Every night thereafter we had no problem. Just the occasional "hey hunny you want me to (expletive)."

That being said, the main street (Las Ramblas) is literally 200 meters away and the prostitutes make their way all the way down there, and that is actually where we had our aforementioned experience. So, you will see them no matter where you stay. The area itself is absolutely not dangerous at all - I would feel safe if my sister stayed here with a girl friend.

The hotel is extremely clean and seems brand new - only a slight strange smell takes you back a little when you walk in. The reception people are very nice and they speak very little English. Our room was small - just enough room to walk between the beds and to the bathroom. It also had a closet, heating/AC system, a new small flat screen TV with about 30 channels and good lighting. The bathroom was excellent. Very spacious and very clean. Enclosed shower, new toilet and sink. The door to the bathroom was a saloon type door, which was strange. It provided visual privacy to the bathroom but not much audible privacy.

We were on the 6th floor, which they call the "attic." The elevator was brand new and worked very well. They do have an are for sitting in the reception with tables and chairs, a soda/beer machine and a coffee machine.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 July 2008

I stayed here for four nights during the week. This was my first time to Barcelona, and not knowing Spanish, and reading some of the reviews of this place, I was a little scared of this prospect.

I was pleasantly surprised. After sneaking by the prostitutes, I checked in. The woman on staff didn't know English, but we managed. There were some gentlemen staff who knew English, and they were very helpful. When I left, they arranged for a taxi to come and get me right in front of the hostel.

I booked a single room with a shared bathroom, and the rate was 23-27 euros depending on the night. The room is fairly small and basic. It had a closet, night stand, bed, shelf, sink, mirror, and AC (very important!).

There was a small window in the room, but it opened to a dark, enclosed, and small "courtyard". I kept it closed and the AC on whenever I was in the room. the AC had a leak, so I rigged the trashcan to catch the drip.

The room was clean, and I was completely satisfied. The shared bathroom, was modernly decorated and clean. The facilities here were absolutely fine.

Now there were prostitutes in the area outside, but they were fairly harmless. The hostel has a rule about "no outside guests allowed inside", so this probably serves as a deterrent.

All in all, I'd stay here again. It's very close to Las Ramblas, and the Liceu metro stop.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled solo
Reviewed 6 April 2008

As our first hotel was not clean at all (the lady of the hotel wasn't even surprised when we told her she had cockroaches in her hotel...) we hasted to seek another one.
We ended up at San Ramons. It is about 200m off the ramblas so it wasn't very hard to find. It's true that it's nearby the red light district, but nobody ever bothered me or my boyfriend. You do not have to pass through the red lights to get there.
The staff was very friendly and our room was really clean. We had a shower and a toilet ensuite. We paid 52 euros a night which seemed a bargain compaired to the other hotels in Barcelona. A lot of hostels ask a much higher price for the same services.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 23 March 2008

I think that the other reviews are unfair, unless that you are the kind of person who is going to faint at the sight of a prostitute or a client. Yes, there are prostitutes around and other reviewers claimed to have been approached by prostitutes or clients. Well, if that happens you decline the invitation and that's it (I, being a man, walked through a group of prostitutes, did not make eye contact with them was not approached by any of them).

Other than that, the people at reception are very nice and the price is OK for Barcelona (it would be expensive in any other Spanish city).

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled solo