“Alberguinn Sants Hostel - AMAZING!”

Alberguinn Sants Youth Hostel
Ranked #153 of 723 Speciality Lodging in Barcelona
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Alberguinn Sants Hostel - AMAZING!”
Reviewed 4 August 2012

The first thing I would say about the Alberguinn hostel is "DO NOT BE PUT OFF BY IT'S LOCATION". It is a totally superb and convenient location to tour the city.
* The hostel is only 3 stops on the train station Estacio de Barcelona-sants.
* The hostel is only 4 minute walk from the train station
* The hostel is 3 mintue walk to Line 3 or L3 metro line, which is truley the heartbeat to the city and you have the city at your fingertips.

The Hostel
The hostel front door is a little difficult to spot from the main street. But as far as bad reviews for this hostel...... That's it! The staff are really friendly and exceptionally helpful. For example, the day I was leaving the receptionist came and told me there was a train strike and the trains were limited to the airport and gave me the revised times.

The hostel is undoubtedly the cleanest I have ever stayed in. EVER! It was meticulously cleaned everyday, the rooms, corridors, kitchen and bathrooms were spotless.

The dorms are great too. Good air conditioning (This is most certainly needed at height of summer) and really good space, not over crowded. The lockers are a little small, but ample to keep your valuables. Each bed has a personal lamp which is great at night.

But all you late nighters this is not a party hostel. Lights out at midnight and people up and out by 9am.....if you want a party all night then I'd recommend staying somewhere in town.

The added bonus was that breakfast was included in the price. A choice of bread, toast, two types of cereal, orange juice and tea, coffee. With jams, Nutella and spreads too. Plus you don't even need to do the dishes, there's someone that does then!

I didn't use the washing facilities but the utility room looked pretty adequate.

The common room at night was busy but enough seats, books and games if thats your thing.

But the BIG BONUS was the FREE Wifi..... Yes FREE Wifi you could use the 3 computers in the common room, these did get busy. But if you had your own laptop/iphone you can use it anywhere in the hostel, the signal was superb!

Ive stayed in over 20 hostels across the world and this one has to be the best I've stayed in 10/10!!!!........Would I stay there again.....ABSOLUTLY!

Some Barcelona tourist tips!

La Sagrada Familiar
All the travel guides tell you to get here early to avoid the queue! GET THERE early! I arrived at 9am and waited only 20mins. The queue looked hideous when I arrived but it does move quickly.

Le Pedrera
This is a superb place to visit. I would recommend it as your first stop of any of your Gaudi's visits. The museum takes you through Gaudi's inspirations for each of his buildings and you totally understand his inspiration before seeing his works. Take the audio tour, this is a must!

I made the mistake of arriving at 2pm in the midday sun and waited for 50mins to get in! BUY A Ticket online to avoid waiting or get there early morning.

Park Guell
My favourite of all Guadi's buildings. Don't arrive via the metro at Lesseps as you have a huge hill to climb. Arrive using Vallcarca as the uphill trek to the park is by escaslator, you will enter at the back of the park, but get to see the amazing views from the top immediatly.

On your way out down the hill towards the Lesseps metro, on the right hand side YOU MUST STOP at the 4D Guadi movie museum, its so much fun. 4D movie last for 10 mins, it's €9.00 but it's so much fun, you sit in a roller coaster type seat and its totally interactive movie and it shows you in a totally modern way Guadi's inspiration. I did this before I saw any of his work and after seeing it.... It all made sense! The man is a genius!

Barceloneta Beach
The beaches at the Barceloneta are just OK. The are most certainly not the Bahamas by any means. They get very crowded and are quite dirty, purely because they are so overused. But a word of warning..........The beach closest to the Aerial-Telecabin is where a lot of people are nude! Lots of people prancing around with everything swinging around! It was a little shock to the system, but quite entertaining once you get used to it. Also this area is popular with the male gay community. So unless you feel comfortable mixing I'd recommend the beaches further along the coast.

If you are looking for the beaches the locals use, then jump on one of the tourist boats at the harbour. For €14.00 you can take a boat trip to the Port Forum and walk 15mins to the local beach Platja Nova Mar Bella. These are supposed to be the better beaches, the toilets are cleaner but the beach is just as busy. Not worth the trip to be honest. But the boat trip was ok, nice to see the city from the sea.

TOP TIP
Where ever you go make sure you have a good eye on your bag/purse against pick pockets. I was careful and lucky enough not to be targeted. But I met a young Australian girl who, although had her bag under her arm close to her, the pickpocket managed to open the zip from the bag and steal her phone! The wait in the police station to get a crime number for her insurance was 5hrs!

BUT DO NOT let this put you off Barcelona, I was travelling alone and felt very safe and it's an truly amazing city. There is so much to see and do and you need at least 3-4 full days to truly appreciate it!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
6 Thank 186460Clare

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Turkish first
Cheney, Washington
Reviewed 2 August 2012

I thoroughly enjoyed this hostel, it was beyond my expectations! The customer service was superb, Maria was so helpful every time I asked her a question (and it was a lot). I met some amazing people as well! I still keep in touch with a few! Rooms were clean, spacious, quiet here and there, and overall great!

Though it might not be close to the attractions, this hostel is close to the metro and the metro is very easy to take!

Definitely recommend this hostel!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
Florence, Italy
Reviewed 2 May 2012

a very beautiful hostel. All the rooms were clean (bathrooms and beds) and the staff was very helpfull.The kitchen had everything you want and there was a good internet connection.When we went every evening before the dinner the staff prepare a different kind of drink for all the people.....it was very nice!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 1 May 2012

I was in Barcelona for three nights and booked this hostel because it was close to the Sants Train Station; it by far exceeded my expectations! Immaculately clean, spacious, warm, friendly, quiet dorms and incredibly comfortable, this hostel provides everything you could possibly need during a stay in Barcelona. It's perfectly positioned close to the station, easily accessible, on a friendly street, and close to a metro station which is on the same line as all the major attractions of the city centre. Staff were incredibly helpful and friendly, I had absolutely nothing planned/researched because my trip was last-minute, but staff explained everything and answered all my questions so well that I didn't need to. Highlights: 1) the best sangria I've ever had was made by staff at the hostel on Saturday night for the residents, and 2) I had to leave early on Tuesday morning and one of the staff (Leo) got up and made sure breakfast was ready an hour early so I could get something to eat before I left! Would definitely stay there again and I highly recommend it, you will love it!

Room Tip: If you need a good night's sleep go for a female-only dorm (if you're a female traveller, ob...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 17 April 2012

I stayed here for one night on my way to San Sebastian at the beginning of March 2012. The staff seemed quite friendly and helpful, and the hostel amenities were clean. The kitchen was great! Although the provided bed sheets had clearly been washed and pressed, there were still visible stains on them. In addition, the warmer blanket provided had crusty stains on it and had obviously not been cleaned in a while. This appeared to be the case with most of the blankets I spotted. The surrounding area of the hostel seemed pretty lively, and it is super close to a main train station which would be useful because it's not overly close to any of Barcelona's main attractions or streets. I ended up spending 4 days in Barcelona a week later, and chose to stay in an area much closer to the sites; I prefer to walk as much as I can, rather than take public transportation.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
Alberguinn, Owner at Alberguinn Sants Youth Hostel, responded to this review, 3 May 2012
Dear Customer,
Thanks for your nice comments about our property ;)
I would like to apologise for any unconfortable situation with our blankets.
We provide free bed linen but it is true that some customers do not want to make their beds and use the blankets directly without linen. We try to avoid this to happen and also we check blankets every morning to spot any dirtyness or bad smell.
I believe your bed was not checked properly and if only you had told us we would have changed it straight away.
We will be much more careful with that, thanks for the information and I hope you can visit us again soon.
Laura
Owner of Alberguinn Hostel
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 23 January 2012

I stayed at the Alberguinn for 2 nights, and it was really great. The staff are very helpful and friendly, going out of their way to make sure that guests are comfortable.

The whole place is spotlessly clean, and the bedrooms are spacious and warm. The only downside of the bedrooms was that there wasn't really an assigned place to put luggage but next to the beds; the lockers were rather small.

Breakfast of juice, bread, coffee and cereals was included, and the fast wifi was good.

Location-wise, it was great for me as it's just 10min walk from the Estacion Sants, but for sightseeing itself, the metro is necessary as it's about a 30-40min walk to La Rambla. There isn't much in the Estacion neighbourhood to see, but there are cafes, shops and a few supermarkets around.

However, overall, it was a really nice stay.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank JonnoCity
Tirana, Albania
Reviewed 2 November 2011

Has been here on October for an event organised in barcelona. the hostel is in very good position and is near Plaza Espagna or very near metro station. Nicolas was very kind and helped us very much for everything. the place is clean and quite. very secure. it was very social place with breakfast wifi etc. we enjoyed very much the staying here.... we recommend to youth travelers

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends