The first thing I would say about the Alberguinn hostel is "DO NOT BE PUT OFF BY IT'S LOCATION". It is a totally superb and convenient location to tour the city.
* The hostel is only 3 stops on the train station Estacio de Barcelona-sants.
* The hostel is only 4 minute walk from the train station
* The hostel is 3 mintue walk to Line 3 or L3 metro line, which is truley the heartbeat to the city and you have the city at your fingertips.
The hostel front door is a little difficult to spot from the main street. But as far as bad reviews for this hostel...... That's it! The staff are really friendly and exceptionally helpful. For example, the day I was leaving the receptionist came and told me there was a train strike and the trains were limited to the airport and gave me the revised times.
The hostel is undoubtedly the cleanest I have ever stayed in. EVER! It was meticulously cleaned everyday, the rooms, corridors, kitchen and bathrooms were spotless.
The dorms are great too. Good air conditioning (This is most certainly needed at height of summer) and really good space, not over crowded. The lockers are a little small, but ample to keep your valuables. Each bed has a personal lamp which is great at night.
But all you late nighters this is not a party hostel. Lights out at midnight and people up and out by 9am.....if you want a party all night then I'd recommend staying somewhere in town.
The added bonus was that breakfast was included in the price. A choice of bread, toast, two types of cereal, orange juice and tea, coffee. With jams, Nutella and spreads too. Plus you don't even need to do the dishes, there's someone that does then!
I didn't use the washing facilities but the utility room looked pretty adequate.
The common room at night was busy but enough seats, books and games if thats your thing.
But the BIG BONUS was the FREE Wifi..... Yes FREE Wifi you could use the 3 computers in the common room, these did get busy. But if you had your own laptop/iphone you can use it anywhere in the hostel, the signal was superb!
Ive stayed in over 20 hostels across the world and this one has to be the best I've stayed in 10/10!!!!........Would I stay there again.....ABSOLUTLY!
Some Barcelona tourist tips!
La Sagrada Familiar
All the travel guides tell you to get here early to avoid the queue! GET THERE early! I arrived at 9am and waited only 20mins. The queue looked hideous when I arrived but it does move quickly.
This is a superb place to visit. I would recommend it as your first stop of any of your Gaudi's visits. The museum takes you through Gaudi's inspirations for each of his buildings and you totally understand his inspiration before seeing his works. Take the audio tour, this is a must!
I made the mistake of arriving at 2pm in the midday sun and waited for 50mins to get in! BUY A Ticket online to avoid waiting or get there early morning.
My favourite of all Guadi's buildings. Don't arrive via the metro at Lesseps as you have a huge hill to climb. Arrive using Vallcarca as the uphill trek to the park is by escaslator, you will enter at the back of the park, but get to see the amazing views from the top immediatly.
On your way out down the hill towards the Lesseps metro, on the right hand side YOU MUST STOP at the 4D Guadi movie museum, its so much fun. 4D movie last for 10 mins, it's €9.00 but it's so much fun, you sit in a roller coaster type seat and its totally interactive movie and it shows you in a totally modern way Guadi's inspiration. I did this before I saw any of his work and after seeing it.... It all made sense! The man is a genius!
The beaches at the Barceloneta are just OK. The are most certainly not the Bahamas by any means. They get very crowded and are quite dirty, purely because they are so overused. But a word of warning..........The beach closest to the Aerial-Telecabin is where a lot of people are nude! Lots of people prancing around with everything swinging around! It was a little shock to the system, but quite entertaining once you get used to it. Also this area is popular with the male gay community. So unless you feel comfortable mixing I'd recommend the beaches further along the coast.
If you are looking for the beaches the locals use, then jump on one of the tourist boats at the harbour. For €14.00 you can take a boat trip to the Port Forum and walk 15mins to the local beach Platja Nova Mar Bella. These are supposed to be the better beaches, the toilets are cleaner but the beach is just as busy. Not worth the trip to be honest. But the boat trip was ok, nice to see the city from the sea.
Where ever you go make sure you have a good eye on your bag/purse against pick pockets. I was careful and lucky enough not to be targeted. But I met a young Australian girl who, although had her bag under her arm close to her, the pickpocket managed to open the zip from the bag and steal her phone! The wait in the police station to get a crime number for her insurance was 5hrs!
BUT DO NOT let this put you off Barcelona, I was travelling alone and felt very safe and it's an truly amazing city. There is so much to see and do and you need at least 3-4 full days to truly appreciate it!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to Alberguinn! Whether it's at breakfast, the lounge or at the magical shared dormitories, in a hostel, you meet people, wonderful people, who travel as you do. This makes for great conversation in general but, in addition, these people become sources of travel information. Enjoy the familiar atmosphere at Alberguinn with your friends or make travel companions as you travel solo. We're located in the traditional district of Sants, with lots of typical bars and restaurants and the longest shopping street in Barcelona. Our friendly staff will show you all the spots you shouldn't miss in Barcelona, and give you interesting and authentic tips on things to do. Come and visit us!! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, LoveHolidays, Odigeo, Agoda, Priceline, Travel Republic (UK) and TripOnline SA so you can book your Alberguinn Sants Youth Hostel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Alberguinn Sants Youth Hotel Barcelona
- Alberguinn Sants Youth Hostel Barcelona, Catalonia