“Great for location and good value for money”

Paraiso Travellers Hostel
Ranked #466 of 721 Speciality Lodging in Barcelona
Hull
“Great for location and good value for money”
Reviewed 24 July 2014

Spent 3 nights in hostel paraiso with my partner and was surprised with how big the room was as well as being able to have a balcony overlooking the rear. Everything seemed to be clean and the location was great for getting to places. For the price I don't think you could get better value for money. Only problem we had was that on the last night the wifi router disappeared and the staff were very unhelpful stating that "i'm sure it'll come back in a bit" Luckily the French couple that were in a room opposite us had the password for one of the local restaurants that we could use!

Room Tip: Our room (206) seemed great!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Korean first
Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 June 2014

Please read the ENTIRETY of my review as my visit in this hostel was very unusual and I feel that it will improve over summer 2014 (i hope). There were refurbishments going on during our stay. We stayed in 3 rooms over a 4 night stay.

I visited Paraiso Travellers in May 2014 with my partner and chose it purely as it came up as one of the cheapest options with an ok-rating on hostelbookers.com. Around 24 hours after booking I received an email saying we would have to change rooms on the second night. I booked a 'twin room' as there was no option of a double room. As is normal with this sort of booking I expected the option of a double room on arrival, or if there was no space, putting twin beds together. However when we were shown to our twin room it was incredibly narrow (no chance of putting beds together), cramped, very loud (thin walls), with dirty duvets and springs poking up through the mattress which made sleeping uncomfortable to say the least. We likened it to a prison cell on numerous occasions.
However, we were told we could get a double room on our 3rd and 4th nights. We had booked for 4 nights and on the second night had to change to another (identical) room. Our opinion of the hostel was at this point incredibly low and we had to make an effort not to talk too loudly of our low opinions of the accommodation due to the thin walls!

As promised, for the 3rd night we were transferred to a double room. For this we were taken upstairs and i cannot express the CONTRAST. The room was spacious, with a huge bed with pre-fitted sheets, lovely fittings, an enormous wardrobe, a good television and a lockable outside private verandah-style area! Despite the fact we had had to pay 1 euro per towel up until this point bizarrely there were 4 towels waiting in our room which we were not charged for - it was honestly like a different hostel - it was the same price but i would have happily paid more and considered it reasonable.

I hope that this hostel is converting so that all its rooms are similar to this - my first two nights at Paraiso Travellers were distinctly awful and I was ready to write this review in a very derogatory manner. However, I have to say I take a huge amount of that back - as long as you REQUEST A TOP FLOOR DOUBLE ROOM - i would recommend staying here.

The shared bathrooms were on the whole very clean and well maintained with new fittings.
The security was not very good; when you arrive outside the hostel there is an intercom system where you are meant to state your room number to be allowed entry, however most of the time we were automatically 'buzzed' in and this is somewhat concerning security-wise.

There is free wifi which is alright but there seemed to be a stronger connection on the upper floor.

Hopefully any renovations will be complete by high summer 2014 so that the entire hostel is as good as our 3rd and 4th nights (and not as bad as our 1st and 2nd nights!).

The location is alright and near the centre but is in a slightly dodgy area - we were offered drugs on occasions near the hostel and there was a slightly intimidating feel to the area, particularly at night.

Room Tip: Choose a double room upstairs.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Amy P
Reviewed 1 June 2014

My friends and I spent 5 days in Barcelona in this hostel. The hostel itself was very good, but the guy that worked at night was extremely stupid and arrogant with us. He doesn't know how to be polite, or he just didn't learn how to treat people. Wouldn't go back, I hate supidity.

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank innr
Madrid
Reviewed 10 April 2014

I had to spend a couple of nights in Barcelona on my own and I didn't feel like sharing a room or paying for a double bedroom in a hotel. This hostel provided a nice little individual room with private bathroom (with toilet and shower) for 56€ with only a few days of advance. It was exactly what I needed: small, comfy, very clean and useful. It's not exactly in the city centre but in 10-15 minutes of nice walking you are in the middle of the Ramblas. Also there's a tube station nearby and the airport bus (Aerobus) stop is at a walking distance (10 minutes) too.
My only problem was that there were mp windows in my room, so I had to turn the lights on everytime I was around. Also, the room was close to the reception and it wasn't easy to sleep: telephone ringing, a washing machine turned on too early and several noises. I should have brought earplugs with me.

Room Tip: At least my individual bedroom turned out to be a pretty noisy place: I suggest you to bring earplug...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 10 April 2014 via mobile

I went to Barcelona on my own for a couple of nights and I didn't want to sleep in a shared room, neither pay for a double bedroom in a hotel. I wanted to be close to the city centre but I didn't need to stay right where all the tourists are: Barcelona is not very big ans I could walk easily to to the Ramblas in 10 minutes. A tube station and a stop for the airport bus can also be reached be feet quite fast and easy.
I had a single room with individual toilet (56€ for 2 nights): everything was clean and comfy. The toilet and shower were good. The only problem is that my room had no windows so I had to turn the lights everytime I was around and it was a little hot. Also it was a little bit noisy: my room was too close to the reception and to some washing machine. I would have slept better if I had brought earplugs, so I suggest you to bring some. Appart from that, it was a good place for me to stay.

Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Alcaniz, Spain
Reviewed 27 March 2014

Just in the centre of Barcelona placed in an old building but fully renewed in the inside. It has all the things you will need for a short visit to Barcelona : it's clean, it's affordable and most important its in a great location.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with BudgetPlaces

Oslo, Norway
Reviewed 21 February 2014

Hostal Paraiso gets sold as a cheap way to experience quality lodging in the center of the city. Good luck with that. Nothing about this is quality. Rooms have no windows. They're not clean. Not all rooms have showers or toilets ... wow - this is just epically bad. Stay away from this hell hole.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Finn Jarle K

Travellers are raving about these Barcelona hotels