“Quiet Time On The Beach”
Review of AC Hotel Gava Mar

AC Hotel Gava Mar
Ranked #229 of 513 Hotels in Barcelona
Reviewed 4 October 2013

We stayed here toward the end of our holiday for some quiet time on the beach. The pool area is large, but chairs are few. We watched guests go out to the pool area very early in the morning to place their belongings on the chairs to reserve them, then disappear. As a result, many people place their towels on the grass and sit on the grass. Rooms are spacious and airy, loved the complementary mini bars with sodas and waters in the rooms. Beach access is just outside of the gate to the pool area. Families larger than 2 must reserve additional rooms as there is a 2 person per room limit. Breakfast buffet and lunch by the pool under the tent.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank SteveI1302JZ
There are newer reviews for AC Hotel Gava Mar

Reviewed 19 September 2013

My wife and I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights. The room had a king size bed, was small but clean. The best asset of this hotel is it is right on the beach. Walk out past the swimming pool, through the gate, and there is the beach. The TV only had 2 english channels and only about 20 total (estimate). Free WIFI is only available in the lobby and it is extremely slow. We use magicjack to communicate with our family at home and it would not work because the internet was so slow. I logged on to one web site and it immediately popped up a message that your connection is slow. There are not many restaurants in the area and the restaurant at the hotel is basically breakfast. WIFI is available in your room for 12 euros a day, which I think is high.

So if you are looking for a hotel on the beach and that is all, this is the place for you. If you want amenities, you might look for another hotel.

Room Tip: The upper story rooms should have a good view of the beach. We were on the first floor and did not...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank John Y
Reviewed 29 August 2013

I stayed at this hotel for a couple of nights with a friend. The staff treated us vith great courtesy and in a very professional way. Whilst they could not satisfy my request for a twin bedded room, I was offered to stay at a superior room for the same price. The room was enormous, and impeccably furnished and the bathroom was full of complimentary items of very good quality.
The hotel had a nice and large swimming pool with a very elegant round shape. The water level was not very high, so it was particularly suited for families with small children. The free beach was situated just over the fence, so you could decide wheter you wanted to spend your day relaxing and reading a book by the pool, running on the beach or swimming in the sea. My room had a great view over the beach, with beautiful sunrises and nice sky colours at sunset.
The only thing I would not recommend is eating in the small town near the hotel. Gava Mar has two or three places where you can eat, but none of them was really worth my money.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 August 2013

I stayed here 5 days from Aug 11 till Aug 16,nice and clean room facing the pool and the beach,breakfast buffet is very good with very friendly and helpful staff,location of the hotel is perfect for beach lovers,the only thing I did not like is no restaurant and bar except the pool bar,but overall I was very satisfied and I enjoyed my stay in the hotel,special thanks to all the friendly and helpful staff including the reception staff,I will come back again one day and I will recommend this hotel to my friends

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank jamel z
Reviewed 25 August 2013

We stayed here for 5 days.

The hotel is a current design with spacious rooms and excellent natural lighting. Our rooms faced the pool area and we also had a panoramic view of the beach. This is an excellent location for beach goers.The breakfast service is very good. The presentation and stocking of the buffet is on par with any 4 star hotel.

The outdoor areas are spacious but not well maintained.. The exterior fence blocks the view of the beach and needs urgent attention.

Over the period of our stay we noted that checking in can take about 1hour on average. This is another area that AC Gava Mar is less than average but can be easily improved.

The pool is large and surrounded by comfortable lounge chairs and large shady umbrellas. Beach access is via door beyond the pool. There is a minor road just outside this door so it is important to be vigilant with young ones.

Our stay here was pleasant however, the grounds of this hotel took the review down to 3 stars. There is so much potential that is wasted because of poor landscape maintenance.

I would stay here again though.

Room Tip: choose a first floor room facing the ocean.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank SupaDupaTrini
Reviewed 20 August 2013

OK, I really want to give this hotel a better review, but I just cannot. It is indeed a good location, the interior is clean and modern, and is steps to the beach. But there appears to be an overall lack of concern for the property by the staff. This is NOT a hotel that should really be considered as an authentic Marriott property (for US travelers, think an average Courtyard and not a beachfront resort). I sensed a lack of management care, for the pool area was not properly tended, there was a severe lack of pool chairs and lounges, the room shower pulsed hot and cold water, and the wait staff (inside and outside) was alternatively good and mediocre, depending on who assisted you. Housekeeping was very slow, and when I left my "Make Up Room" placard on the door when I left at 0930, I fully expected my room to be attended to prior to my return at 15:30, but it was not to be. To be fair, the front desk staff was most helpful and courteous, assisting with directions, recommendations, and taxis. In sum, I expected more for anything attached to the Marriott brand, no matter where located (I am a Marriott Platinum Elite)

This is a "Blah" hotel, uneventful and unremarkable. I can expect this lower standard in obscure locations, and I hope that AC and Marriott can turn see the opportunity with this property to be first class and take the necessary action to polish this "diamond in the rough."

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Randy A
Reviewed 18 August 2013

A great hotel, in a great location for spending time relaxing. On the beach just south of the airport. But where's the bar? Restaurant? For all this hotel has to offer it needed to have a bit more for me. But with an easy walk to the beach and a great pool I can overlook some of the other missing pieces.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Barcelona
Masd Mediterraneo Hotel Apartamentos Spa
#11 of 17 in Castelldefels
Hotel SB BCN Events
Hotel SB BCN Events
#2 of 17 in Castelldefels

Been to AC Hotel Gava Mar? Share your experiences!