Olivia Plaza Hotel
US$150
US$273
US$234
2,268 results
All reviewsperfect locationla ramblathe hard rock cafesliding glass doorairport bustoilet and showertour busesfree upgradetourist busescatalunya squaremodern hotelbottle of cavahop on hopsuperior roomthe heart of the citywonderful hotelgothic quarter
Reviewed 8 April 2009

Having been to Barcelona over 20 times I was keen to stay at this hotel. I booked a suite and was very disappointed by the lack of sound proofing - as the location is very central on Plaza Catalunya there is constant traffic noise. The noise affected my husband and I so much that we had to move hotels. The front desk commented that nobody else had complained about the noise so I surmise that light sleepers beware!!

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank mrsbirdo
Reviewed 8 April 2009

I stayed at the Olivia Plaza as part of a Hen weekend and was extremely pleased with the Hen's choice.

It was a very clean, modern hotel which is perfectly positioned in the centre of Barcelona and within walking distance to the main tourist areas and shops.

The only negative we found was the cost for breakfast which was over 20 euros a person - too much in our opinion. Having said that Barcelona isn't a cheap city to visit.

Make sure you take plenty of euros with you - you'll need it.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank Wisc33
Reviewed 29 March 2009

Having travelled to numerous European "hot spots", we have become quity picky about where we stay! This hotel is very convenient and rooms quite large (for europe standards). As we've found most hotel beds in Europe to be quite firm...we were pleased to find this hotel's bed was quite comfy (not soft...but not rock hard either).

Plus: Size of room and location
Negatives: No real privacy for the bathrooms, price of room, and lack of wi-fi internet. Yes, the hotel says it has wi-fi but you have to "sign up" for it and then you only get like an hour or so...when we used one of the two computers available to guests - the computers repeatedly froze.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 March 2009

Seven of us(all women) stayed at the Olivia Plaza for two nights on a trip to celebrate a 50th birthday. I emailed prior to arrival to confirm our request for two twins and one triple room close together with outside views and on mid to top floors. All these requests were met and throughout the weekend the staff were very helpful, friendly and obliging. The beds were comfortable and the layout of the rooms suited us, particularly the bathroom as the shower, toilet and sink could all be used independently. You just have to remember to pull the screen doors in the right direction!!.
The location is great as the airport bus and tour bus stop nearby and it is walking distance to all the central sights.
We had heard that pick pockets could be a problem so we all took precautions and and had no difficulties. In fact we never felt threatened on the streets day or evening. A great city as there is so much to see and do.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with friends
3  Thank MaryReading
Reviewed 23 February 2009

My wife and I spent two nights at the Olivia which was a real plus from an otherwise disappointing trip to Barcelona - more on that further down.....

The olivia was very clean, friendly and comfortable. It isn't the largest, roomiest hotel but it is right in the centre of Barcelona and couldn't be better placed. The staff were all friendly and helpful and all spoke varying degrees of English ( we did find French better for communication than English if you don't speak Spanish/Catalan). We had room 408 -a nice, clean and comfortable room, although as this room faced the Placa de Catalunya and we did find it noisy outside well into the night, but we are in Barcelona after all.....

The breakfast is self-service style and very nice, with a wide variety of breakfast choices which would suit almost everyone. We didn't eat in the restaurant in the evenings but I'm sure the food and service would be excellent.

All in all we really enjoyed our stay at the Olivia. The location is excellent, just of La Rambla, a couple of steps from the Metro and across the Place de Catalunya is the Bus Touristic, a hop on-hop off tourist bus that I would also thoroughly recommend. The staff are friendly and helpful, the breakfast excellent and well decorated and clean rooms. The bed was very comfortable.

On the down side I found the Olivia quite expensive. We paid nearly £400 for 2 nights but then again I found all of Barcelona expensive! I suppose the current exchange rate doesn't help the situation (1.1 euro to the pound), if we had the exchange rate of 2 years ago (1.45 to the pound) then the Olivia it is the perfect choice.

Our weekend break was rather disappointing all in all. My wife had her handbag stolen (passport included!), it's mightily expensive for everything; shopping, food, tours and activities. I found Barcelona to be rather dirty with a constant smell of sewage and although everyone told me it was a beautiful city, I would have to disagree. Yes the Placa de Espanyol was very pretty and the Diagonol was also very pleasant but it was nice bits in a city of "average" appearance IMO. Also it seems rife with street crime - pickpockets, muggins and the like. I didn't feel particularly safe in Barcelona and spend a t lot of time being paranoid about my wallet!

So in short, if you are going to Barcelona (and I wouldn't recommend it particularly) and you can afford £150-£200 per night then you can't do much better than the Olivia Plaza Hotel.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple