“in the middle of the city”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Olivia Plaza Hotel

Olivia Plaza Hotel
Ranked #36 of 521 Hotels in Barcelona
Amsterdam
“in the middle of the city”
Reviewed 8 May 2009

Clean, modern, boutique hotel with friendly staff. Buffet breakfast was delicious in the small breakfast area. Sweets near the lift. Tv had all the senders, incl. CNN. Free use of the hotel computer and newspaper in the business center. In the middle of all the happenings, you can walk to all the sightseeings. We had 2 rooms, one lays in a quieter room than the other one, this one was very noisy, you can hear the people talking next door and the noise outside.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled with family
LauraArasa, Rooms Division Manager at Olivia Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, 6 June 2009
Dear Madam/Sir,

I would like to thank you for your opinion about your stay. Thank you for your comment regarding the noise comming from the next door and outside. We are working in order to avoid this kind of problems.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you would like to visit us again.

Best regards,
Laura Arasa
Rooms Division Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (331)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
north port,fl
Reviewed 2 May 2009

We stayed in room #1010, front of hotel. I am an extremely light sleeper, heard
no noise from the street below. The view was spectacular, the square below, the
mountains, just beautiful. My son & daughter-in-law stood in room # 302 facing
the back, which had a view of the harbor & church. Large rooms. Helpful staff,
they made our dinner reservations. Just a wonderful hotel!

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with family
Spain
Reviewed 2 May 2009

I attended the Olivia Plaza hotel for the 3gsm conference. The hotel is located in the heart of Barcelona, near the central station Catalunya. I flew in and caught the train to Passeig de Gracias and then it’s easier to take a taxi or walk to Catalunya than go to Sants station.

On arriving at the x hotel, the reception was clean and a bright eyed French receptionist greeted me and took my reservation. I was given an interior facing room, spacious and fully and stylishly furnished.

However I was in and out of meetings at the conference and had to work during the day from my room. Although the rooms are adequacy lit, I preferred some more natural light. Most people stay in the rooms during the night only... So I asked down at reception and was fortunate to ask after check out time about room allocations. Rebecca again quickly looked up for a room change and suggested some rooms on different floors. Luckily there was space and I was moved. I think maybe business reservations are moved to the interior to keep noise from the street down, which is sensible really. Having gone to other cities a bad night can kill any chance of feeling awake during a 4 hour next day meeting.

The hotel is located near to bars, restaurants and central shopping areas. Most of which are totally touristy. I took a look around and didn't find anything. Café Zurich is nice, but the serving staff there is a bit curt. I went back to the hotel and Rebecca, who knew me quite well by then, told me what the hotel was serving for lunch. So I ate at the hotel restaurant. Portions were good, food healthy and service good.

I will definitely recommend the Hotel Olivia Plaza Barcelona to all my friends and work colleagues who’ll be there next time from the United States.

A big thank you to Rebecca and to the Hotel Management! If I’m lucky to go again to the conference, I’m gonna have a word with the travel dept to get me here, my work mates weren’t so lucky!

• Stayed February 2009, travelled on business
london
Reviewed 21 April 2009

Me and my boyfriend stayed here for 4 nights. The hotel is lovely, very modern and stylishly designed. I'd say it was good value for money, though the breakfast was a little pricey (19 euros each), we just went round the corner and got something from one of the many cafes. Something which might bother some, is that the bathroom is very open, which is fine as long as you re comfortable with the person you re sharing a room with!
All in all, its a nice hotel, good value and great location, I would stay there again.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
UK
Reviewed 8 April 2009

Having been to Barcelona over 20 times I was keen to stay at this hotel. I booked a suite and was very disappointed by the lack of sound proofing - as the location is very central on Plaza Catalunya there is constant traffic noise. The noise affected my husband and I so much that we had to move hotels. The front desk commented that nobody else had complained about the noise so I surmise that light sleepers beware!!

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank mrsbirdo
London
Reviewed 8 April 2009

I stayed at the Olivia Plaza as part of a Hen weekend and was extremely pleased with the Hen's choice.

It was a very clean, modern hotel which is perfectly positioned in the centre of Barcelona and within walking distance to the main tourist areas and shops.

The only negative we found was the cost for breakfast which was over 20 euros a person - too much in our opinion. Having said that Barcelona isn't a cheap city to visit.

Make sure you take plenty of euros with you - you'll need it.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank Wisc33
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed 29 March 2009

Having travelled to numerous European "hot spots", we have become quity picky about where we stay! This hotel is very convenient and rooms quite large (for europe standards). As we've found most hotel beds in Europe to be quite firm...we were pleased to find this hotel's bed was quite comfy (not soft...but not rock hard either).

Plus: Size of room and location
Negatives: No real privacy for the bathrooms, price of room, and lack of wi-fi internet. Yes, the hotel says it has wi-fi but you have to "sign up" for it and then you only get like an hour or so...when we used one of the two computers available to guests - the computers repeatedly froze.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled with family