“Good Location but overpriced”
Review of Olivia Plaza Hotel

Olivia Plaza Hotel
Ranked #36 of 513 Hotels in Barcelona
usa
“Good Location but overpriced”
Reviewed 22 June 2009

We stayed 6 days in this hotel and have a neutral feelings about it. It had a very good central location with clean rooms but was overpriced and lacked basic amenities for an extended stay like a fitness center, swimming pool, iron, laundry rooms and etc.

Net net, I was not unhappy but would probably look at other options when return to Barcelona

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank worldtraveler1Usa

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (338)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Florence, Italy
Reviewed 31 May 2009

The Olivia Hotel is a small but impressive, contemporary, boutique hotel conveniently situated by La Ramblas. The metro is a 3 to 5 minute walk away. You are greeted by a pleasant and helpful hotel staff. My husband and my room was located on the fourth floor and had a fantastic view of the city and park area. The room itself was designed with contempory furnishings. I loved the color scheme was decorated in browns and grays and accented with contrasting colors of red and olive green. I loved the contemporary bathroom and vanity area. If you are the shy type or traveling with family, you may not appreciate the frosted shower glass partition that separates the actual shower from the sleeping area. I also appreciated that the room was very clean.
I really like that Olivia Hotel was within walking distance or a metro away from most sites. I must take the time to walk to La Boqueria. My husband and I had breakfast there every morning. There is so much food to choose from it was a challenge trying to decide where we were going to eat. El Cortes market is also directly across the street from the Oliva Hotel. You can shop for food, clothing, souvenirs and miscellaneous necessities you may have forgotten at home all under one roof. For dinner, my husband and I had a variety of restaurants to choose from (again walking distance from the hotel).
I would strongly recommend the Olivia Hotel to a fellow travel.

• Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
LauraArasa, Rooms Division Manager at Olivia Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, 6 June 2009
Dear Madam/Sir,

I would like to thank you for your comments about your stay with us. Please do not hesitate to contact me if you would like to visit us again.

Best regards
Laura Arasa
Rooms Division Manager
Amsterdam
Reviewed 8 May 2009

Clean, modern, boutique hotel with friendly staff. Buffet breakfast was delicious in the small breakfast area. Sweets near the lift. Tv had all the senders, incl. CNN. Free use of the hotel computer and newspaper in the business center. In the middle of all the happenings, you can walk to all the sightseeings. We had 2 rooms, one lays in a quieter room than the other one, this one was very noisy, you can hear the people talking next door and the noise outside.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank vondels
Dear Madam/Sir,

I would like to thank you for your opinion about your stay. Thank you for your comment regarding the noise comming from the next door and outside. We are working in order to avoid this kind of problems.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you would like to visit us again.

Best regards,
Laura Arasa
Rooms Division Manager
north port,fl
Reviewed 2 May 2009

We stayed in room #1010, front of hotel. I am an extremely light sleeper, heard
no noise from the street below. The view was spectacular, the square below, the
mountains, just beautiful. My son & daughter-in-law stood in room # 302 facing
the back, which had a view of the harbor & church. Large rooms. Helpful staff,
they made our dinner reservations. Just a wonderful hotel!

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with family
Spain
Reviewed 2 May 2009

I attended the Olivia Plaza hotel for the 3gsm conference. The hotel is located in the heart of Barcelona, near the central station Catalunya. I flew in and caught the train to Passeig de Gracias and then it’s easier to take a taxi or walk to Catalunya than go to Sants station.

On arriving at the x hotel, the reception was clean and a bright eyed French receptionist greeted me and took my reservation. I was given an interior facing room, spacious and fully and stylishly furnished.

However I was in and out of meetings at the conference and had to work during the day from my room. Although the rooms are adequacy lit, I preferred some more natural light. Most people stay in the rooms during the night only... So I asked down at reception and was fortunate to ask after check out time about room allocations. Rebecca again quickly looked up for a room change and suggested some rooms on different floors. Luckily there was space and I was moved. I think maybe business reservations are moved to the interior to keep noise from the street down, which is sensible really. Having gone to other cities a bad night can kill any chance of feeling awake during a 4 hour next day meeting.

The hotel is located near to bars, restaurants and central shopping areas. Most of which are totally touristy. I took a look around and didn't find anything. Café Zurich is nice, but the serving staff there is a bit curt. I went back to the hotel and Rebecca, who knew me quite well by then, told me what the hotel was serving for lunch. So I ate at the hotel restaurant. Portions were good, food healthy and service good.

I will definitely recommend the Hotel Olivia Plaza Barcelona to all my friends and work colleagues who’ll be there next time from the United States.

A big thank you to Rebecca and to the Hotel Management! If I’m lucky to go again to the conference, I’m gonna have a word with the travel dept to get me here, my work mates weren’t so lucky!

• Stayed February 2009, travelled on business
london
Reviewed 21 April 2009

Me and my boyfriend stayed here for 4 nights. The hotel is lovely, very modern and stylishly designed. I'd say it was good value for money, though the breakfast was a little pricey (19 euros each), we just went round the corner and got something from one of the many cafes. Something which might bother some, is that the bathroom is very open, which is fine as long as you re comfortable with the person you re sharing a room with!
All in all, its a nice hotel, good value and great location, I would stay there again.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
UK
Reviewed 8 April 2009

Having been to Barcelona over 20 times I was keen to stay at this hotel. I booked a suite and was very disappointed by the lack of sound proofing - as the location is very central on Plaza Catalunya there is constant traffic noise. The noise affected my husband and I so much that we had to move hotels. The front desk commented that nobody else had complained about the noise so I surmise that light sleepers beware!!

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with family