“Tonic with a splash”

Xixbar Gins & Cocktails
Ranked #103 of 798 Nightlife in Barcelona
Reviewed 16 January 2014

How to ruin a Gin and Tonic, take one very large wine glass, fill with large lumps of ice, drizzle in a tiny amount of Gin and then fill to the brim with a bottle of tonic. Result a nice refreshing glass of tonic water with a slight melted ice water taste at the end for 9.5 euros. My Wife and I checked out the XIX Bar before eating at Lolita Taperia as recommended by others. Unfortunately we did not enjoy the experience. We sat outside and after getting no service for a while I went inside and got a drinks menu. We ordered and moved inside when our drinks came, as it started raining. Outside has no umbrellas or tasteful windbreak just parked cars and a back road junction. Inside was not much better, not particularly comfy chairs and a bit like drinking in a butchers shop with cold black and white tiles and pictures of cows on the wall?No atmosphere. Lots of pretentious preparation when making the drinks and lots of different gins, but they miss the point if you cannot taste the gin because its drowned in tonic, what is the point?

Reviewed 4 January 2014

After our Lolita tapas experience we saw the gin bar open and popped in for a nightcap.

Greeted by a very nice Italian guy, who was the first bartender/waiter that had a chat to us during our whole stay in Spain. I had a rhubarb infused sweet gin & tonic; my boyfriend the ginger infused with a dry gin. Both served in large wine glasses; we were told XIX bar is the first to introduce this serving method in Spain!

We were the first and only customers at 10pm; but that is early for Spanish standards. You can expect a full bar from 12pm he said.

Highly recommend going here! Prices are around 8-11 euros.

Reviewed 30 December 2013

Great location - it's a perfect first (or last) stop before dinner at Lolita or any of the pintxos places at carrer Blai. Great selection of gins and really skilled and friendly bartenders. They always have a Gin of The Month promotion (when I visited it was Brockmans) so they have specials using that brand but they are very honest on their assessment of gins. If you talk to them they are very friendly guys, too.

We tried three different combinations and all were skillfully mixed. I brought to the bar a person who didn't like gin (as she had only tried very dry strong gins with tonic just poured in directly and a slice of lemon) and she became a convert. She really liked their unique infused gins.

Bar looks like an old school Spanish bar with a more intimate back area. My problem with this type of places is that sometimes the environment way too pretentious, or the clientele is, or both, but here I didn't find none of that.

Price is very fair when you consider what other people charge for equal or lesser gins.

Reviewed 29 December 2013

Small bar close to Poble Sec Metro Station in the best Spanish tradition of preparing gin&tonic. Just a must for gin&tonic lovers! Great atmosphere (particularly in late hours), enthusiastic&friendly bartenders and exquisitely prepared drinks! A place to enjoy!

See more reviews
Reviewed 22 October 2013

My wife and I spent a week in Barcelona recently, and checked out this bar after she had come across it while researching our trip online. We loved this place! The bartenders take great pride in their work, and put on a great show while mixing up your drink. They are consummate professionals, and the drinks are top notch. I had a Sipsmith Gin and Tonic, made with lemon peel and a twist, and it was so good I had a few more that night, and then came back for more in the week we were there! English is not a problem for them, so drop by and enjoy the funky interior, or sit out on the sidewalk and enjoy a gin and whatever and the warm Barcelona evenings!

billy