“good location, but rooms vary”

Hotel Ciutat de Barcelona
Ranked #147 of 516 Hotels in Barcelona
Reviewed 19 January 2014

We stayed 2 nights at this hotel upon our arrival in Barcelona after 3 long flights from Australia. The hotel was in a good location, walking distance to the Cathedral and La Ramblas and with a good selection of patisseries, tapas bars and restaurants nearby. We stayed in a double room which was a good size with modern bathroom. The only downside was that it was quite warm and the cooling seemed to only pump out warm air so we had trouble sleeping the first night. The hotel has a computer corner with a printer (great if you want to book online to avoid queuing at attractions). The hotel also offers free bottled water which was a huge convenience which we loved. The only reason I've marked this hotel at as 4/5 is because we stayed again for one night at the end of our holiday in Europe and again booked a double room (I think the only choices are single, double, triple) which was 2 doors down from our original room. This room was noticeably larger with a much larger bathroom than the first room... there isn't an option to book different grades of 'double' rooms on their website so it seems to be a bit of hit and miss which room you actually get allocated. Tip: don't bother paying the 12 euro/pp for breakfast at the hotel - there is an amazing patisserie across the road where we got breakfast each morning for around 4 euro each.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank HolidayKat_86
Write a ReviewReviews (1,168)

Reviewed 12 January 2014

I stayed here with my husband and twin toddlers (20 months). I chose this hotel because of the price ( less then 100 euro a night) and because it could accommodate my request for two cribs. I had emailed the hotel before hand to make sure the room could accommodate two cribs as I didn't want them to share a crib. The first time it was lost in translation and they replied the room can accommodate two kids, but the second time they understood my request and suggested I book a triple room.

We were coming post cruise so arrived early around 9 am. At first the room wasn't ready and they said we could stow our luggage down stairs, but right as my husband started to make the trip they called and said it was available. Our room was wonderful! As we were only there one day we dropped our stuff and left. As we did so two workers showed up to set up our cribs. We only stayed long enough to tell them where we wanted it and then we were off. We returned late in the evening ( after 10pm) and that was when We really discovered the room.

With the kids the two room set up was great, with a small highway right off the door. The hallway connected to the bathroom and then on each side was two rooms. A small sitting room with sofa and tv ( this is where we put the two cribs) and then a bigger room with king bed, table and small sitting couch and small tv. In the hall was a small closet. This set up was perfect for us because it allowed us not to have our kids staring at us once we put them to bed.

The bathroom was huge!!! It had two sinks which made getting ready for our early flight simple and a tub, a necessity with small kids. It had a toilet and bidet as well.

There was a window with small balcony ( only big enough to peek outside on) and being on a corner we had two ( one on eCh room). The best view was from the room with the bed. It gave us a view of the street and as this was December the Xmas lights on the street.

The staff was friendly helping me locate the fastest way to La Sagrada Famailia and assisting with the lift to enter the lobby. ( we were traveling with a rather large double stroller so needed to utilize it to get the kids up and down). In our room there was also information on the local area and safety for those who hadn't researched this before hand. They also had free wi if which was given at check in, but it didn't work well on my phone, but was fine on the iPad.

The only bad thing isn't anything the hotel can help, but the train stations nearby ( one north and one south) didn't have any lifts or handicapped access. This meant to return or depart we had to struggle with the stroller down/up several flights of stairs. While the friendly locals and tourists were great about stepping up and assisting with this the turnstiles were a nightmare. It got stuck once and I bruised my hand trying to move the stroller through. Unless I used an umbrella style stroller I would make sure my next hotel was by a handicapped accessible metro.

Would I stay here again? Absolutely. The location, room size, convenience to attractions and price were perfect for my family trip. My only regret is were were there for only one night.

Room Tip: The corner triple room is gigantic
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank bearetteCA
Reviewed 12 January 2014

We got very pleasantly surprised when we arrived. The hotel is clean, with comfortable beds, free bottled water in the corridor which was a massive plus, quiet (we were on the 5th floor) and in one of the most trendy areas in Barcelona. I only wish there were tea/coffee facilities in the room, hence it gets 4 stars. Didn't have breakfast so I cannot comment in that.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mita_London
Reviewed 5 January 2014

It is the second time I stayed at this hotel, because of its location. It is situated approx. 10 min walk from Plaza Catalunya, 3min from gothic part of town and 15min from Olympic port. The district, El Born, is less touristy than La Rambla and Plaza Catalunya and is situated only 2 min from a park and 5 min from ZOO. Around hotel you will find plenty of bistros, restaurants and bars, it is right next to Picasso museum and you can spend few hours browsing through small shops.

Hotel staff is professional and kind, they changed my room without any hassle. You can leave your bag/suitcase in a luggage room if you arrive/leave earlier/later of check in/out time. Do not bother paying for breakfast in the hotel, you find across the street a lovely bistro that opens early (Spanish time) and you can have a delicious coffee with croissant or sandwich for few Euros.

The only downside of the hotel is, that the windows are not sound proof and when staying on the first floor (room 112) I had sometimes a feeling that people were just outside my window.

Room Tip: Upper floors, not first floor. Not room 101 - very dark and somber. Room 101 also had a very strong...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 26 December 2013

We stayed at the hotel 2 years ago and loved it,sowhen we came back to barcelona, the choice for a hotel was simple.
The locstion of the place is simply great, very close to the lively gothic quarter, yet with the quietness of el born. Everything is within walking distance.
The rooms are good value for money, and nice. However this time we were disappointed with the lackof maintenance in the room (wall paint and broken tile in the bathroom,smell of dirty pipes in the room)
Biggest disappointment was that they could not fix the wifi the entire weekend.
Nonetheless the locatin of the hotel and complementary water make up for it.
We hope the hotel will be maintained better in the future.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank MiRa938
Reviewed 17 December 2013

We make a reservation for us at this hotel and everything seems to be ok....till we receive an email from Ciutat de barcelona hotel,telling us, that our reservation is cancelled because we have problems with our card.In the next day,we go at the bank to check what problems we have and we discover a verry big surprise!!!The hotel charged us, not once,but they try to gharged us twice for the same amount.After that, begin excanges of emails between us and the hotel+booking.
Anyway, they dont recognize that they charged up for the money,even if we sent them an account extras from our bank,and now we are without Our money....this is a steel.
After we speak with some people from booking.com,we find out that is not the first time when something like that happen.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
CiutatHotels, Director de Recepción at Hotel Ciutat de Barcelona, responded to this reviewResponded 27 December 2013

Dear Marryande,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We truly value the opinions of our guests.

Regarding the charge you are talking about we inform you, as in our previous emails, that we have only tried to pre-authorize your credit card, but it was declined. So we proceded to cancel your reservation. We have not charged your card at any time. We assume that your bank has blocked the money and we suggest you to contact them.

Finally, If you ever come to our hotel I would love to have the opportunity to speak with you directly, so please ask for me. We hope to see you in the future and wish you the very best.

Marta Robert
Head Receptionist

Reviewed 18 November 2013

Great no frills hotel.

Rooms were clean, and the air con worked well. The free bottled water was good as well. No limits.

We had breakfast in the hotel. You could have hot bacon and scrambled eggs, cereal, toast, bread, cold meets and cheese, fruit, yoghurt, teas and coffees, and fruit juice. Again, no limits.

The front desk was good for places to eat, and things to do - very knowledgeable staff.

Would I go again? Yes, very good central location, 2 minutes walk from the Picasso museum, and in a street that's closed at certain times in the day, so quiet when it needs to be!

One last point, the swimming pool? Not huge. If you dived in at one end you'd probably brain yourself at the other. But it is absolutely perfect for cooling down after an afternoon of sunning yourself.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 3rd floor, overlooking the Princesa Street (rooms 6 -12 overlook the street), and o...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple