“Great Location”

Hotel Ciutat de Barcelona
Ranked #129 of 513 Hotels in Barcelona
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Lovely clean hotel and excellently located. Staff were very friendly and a nice touch in providing water for guests on every floor. Pool very small but didn't have any problems in getting a lounger when required. Would have liked tea/coffee facilities in the room but there are numerous cafes and bars surrounding the hotel where you can go. Check out is 12 noon and we had a late flight. It would be nice if the hotel thought about providing a shower room and somewhere for you to get changed however, again, this wasn't too drastic as we were able to use the roof top terrace.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Hotel Ciutat de Barcelona

Reviewed 8 July 2014

We were a group of eight girls and all of us were very happy with our hotel. Location wise, this hotel was great. The taxi dropped us off at the bottom of the road and we walked the 3 minutes to the hotel. It's in the Gothic Quarter so it's so beautiful to walk around and discover little cafes and vintage shops. The bed was comfy, we had the window slightly open so we could hear the street below but once it's closed you wouldn't here anything. The rooms were clean and while not the biggest were perfect for what we needed as we would be out all day. And how great the shower was after a long day walking about, it was spotless and so strong which I loved. Also a great touch was the fridges in the hallways so you could help yourself to some free cold water before and after your sightseeing. We didn't have the breakfast but there was so many places around that it was easy to find something really yummy less than 5 minutes away. The rooftop pool and solarium were great. The pool isn't deep or big and you can walk across it but it's perfect for cooling down and it's just a lovely space. We all gathered here and it's lovely you can chat to other guests in a very relaxed environment. Just a tip, it can be easy for something to slip between the decking space so watch your keycard. Service was good, directions and maps were great, we had to get our keycard redone each day and there was no fuss. If I was returning to Barcelona or if a friend was looking for a recommendation I would have no hesitation in naming Hotel Ciutat.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank cjudge109
Reviewed 2 July 2014

We stayed here for 4 nights and were very pleased with this hotel.
The location in El Born is perfect with lots of small plazas and bars/restaurant nearby for food and drinks. I would recommend Burnells for breakfast- great bocadillos and fresh bakery!

The rooms are a bit small but nice and clean. The hotel offers free water 24/7 in a refrigerator in the hallway. Close to bike rentals.

Would definitely go back! :)

Room Tip: Ask for a small balcony
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 July 2014 via mobile

This hotel is well located in the
quarter of the city, just a 3 minute walk from the nearest Metro station, Jaume I. The rooms are a good size and are very clean and modern, with modern colours and furniture. The bathrooms are very clean and also of contemporary design. A good breakfast is being served in the breakfast room and although there is an extra charge for this of €12 pp there is a good breakfast buffet with everything you need. Our room is nice and quiet at the expense of a view, but there is a roof terrace with a pool you can go to to relax. An added bonus are the fridges on each floor containing bottles of water which are free for you to use. The only thing missing in the rooms are tea and coffee making facilities which I really miss. Tomas at reception was really nice and welcoming and I if I return to Barcelona I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2014
Reviewed 13 June 2014

I wanted so much to give this hotel a good write up but my intentions were dramatically changed on receipt of my credit card bill after returning home. During my stay a I returned to my room to find a bottle of perfume smashed on the bathroom floor. There is no possibility that the bottle was blown over as the window was tiny and shut. Before I went out it was in one piece, when I returned it was broken. I reported this immediately to the reception who sent up a cleaner. The cleaner agreed to carry out an investigation. On checking out the following morning I enquired about their investigation and the receptionist had no knowledge of the incident. He spoke in Spanish to one of the cleaners (so I do not know what the exchange was about) however, he agreed to waive the cost of my breakfasts which was 48 euro in off set of a the value of the perfume of £59. I thought this was a fair exchange and excepted his offer and was pleased that the situation was handled so well, or so I thought.
When I received my credit card statement the hotel had taken the 48euro from my credit card obviously without my authorisation.
I contacted the hotel to find out why they had done this and to give them a chance to correct this, but I was told on no uncertain terms, that nobody in the hotel had broken my perfume and the hotel receptionist had no authority to grant any concessions (even though there was no one else on duty). I replied to their email asking for them to reconsider their stance pointing out it wasn't good customer service and that their receptionist was surely acting on the hotel's behalf, but I did not receive a response.
Obviously the customer is never right in their eyes, but the management is. A sour end to what was a brilliant trip to the wonderful city that is Barcelona.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
5  Thank Abs64
Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

Extremely dark, small rooms. Rude, unprofessional service.

My friends and I booked this room here for three people, as one of our friends was supposed to fly to Milan but due to a strike, was unable to leave, therefore had an extra person, which we were upfront about from the beginning.
A male front desk attendant tried to demand us to let him into our room at 2 in the morning. Another male employee then proceeded to ridicule and embarrass us on our way out saying we were illegal when we tried to explain the situation to him as well he attempted lock us out of our room and tell us if we did not pay him more money (which we had already offered to pay for our 4th person, just wanted to discuss with the manager first) he would not re-activate our room keys and keep us from our passports. DO NOT STAY HERE!

• Stayed: May 2014
CiutatHotels, Director General at Hotel Ciutat de Barcelona, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2014

Dear Mrs. Molly M,

I am really concerned to read about your experience at the Hotel Ciutat de Barcelona.
Accept my sincerest apologies if our service was not at the level of your expectations.
Please, allow me to contact you directly to go deeper into the matter.

Yours sincerely,

Marta Robert
Hotel Manager
Hotel Ciutat de Barcelona

Reviewed 23 May 2014

We stayed here on a one night stopover after a cruise. Location is good in the old town, amongst the maze of small streets with a short walk to the main shopping area.
We walked from the port approx 20-25mins, its also slightly less to the airport bus stop so convenient for both.

The rooms are basic but clean and the beds are comfy, and for €130 what do you expect.
The free water is a nice plus.
The main negative would be the noise, although the large windows are well sound proofed there is a bar jut down the street and is can get quite noisy at night although saying that I slept pretty well.

Despite the poor breakfast reviews listed we gave it a try, again basic but it was ok. Choice of 2 cereals, pastries, toast, bread, ham, cheese, jam, fruit, scrambled eggs, bacon, sausages, tea,coffee and juice.

The hotel is happy to store luggage as we did on both arrival and departure, for what we wanted the hotel was fine.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple