“Love this place and would definitely come back!”

Petit Palace Boqueria Garden
Ranked #144 of 512 Hotels in Barcelona
Manila
“Love this place and would definitely come back!”
Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

My family stayed in this hotel for 4 days in May and loved it! It is close to everything you need as a tourist in Barcelona - restaurants, cafes, tourist buses, shops, the market and supermarkets, the flamenco show, and a few other sights as well.

Rooms were clean and spacious, and the kids enjoyed the double deck beds. A laptop is provided for guests' use, and the free internet was fast. Bathroom was modern, but my only complaint is that once someone takes a shower, half the bathroom floor gets wet.

Front desk staff were very helpful and even allowed us to check in 2 hours early. Front desk can get very busy though when big groups come in, and there are only 3 staff at most.

Bikes can be borrowed for a EUR100 deposit, but if you return the bike in good condition basically it's free.

Would definitely recommend this hotel especially for families.

Stayed May 2014
1 Thank HKTravelAddict
Operagarden, Director General at Petit Palace Boqueria Garden, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience at the Petit Palace Opera Garden! I´m glad to see you had a nice stay with us and have enjoyed Barcelona.
I take good note of your comments about the shower issue and will let the maintenance team know in order to fix it.

Alex Puig, Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (208)
  • Finnish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Colchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 June 2014

We chose the Petit Palace as it offered apartments within the hotel and as we were a group of friends it suited us perfectly. First impressions were good - the entrance is smart and it has a lovely open air bar and garden. However the apartments are tucked away at the back and the entrance to these is a little shabby - the stairwell felt like a municipal car park (or as my friend commented, a prison) and didn't fill us with hope for what lay inside the room. Although the room was a good size, the photos on the website make it look a little more luxurious than it actually is. It is no frills and not what we would consider 4 stars in England. There was a small kitchen area with table and chairs plus a sofa bed and separate toilet, then a large bedroom with two single beds, bunk beds and a good sized bathroom. On the plus side, it was clean and the shower was awesome - the separate toilet was also handy as we were a group of five. It also had a small balcony overlooking the back street which was lovely to take in the atmosphere and the bedroom was much bigger than we thought it would be, offering plenty of space for five girls (although we would have liked a mirror in the bedroom!). The beds were comfortable but very firm - ok if you like that kind of thing. We didn't have much interaction with the staff but check in and check out was quick and they organised a taxi for us so no complaints on that front.

The best thing about this hotel though is the location. It is tucked down a narrow street just off La Rambla. We could walk to La Rambla in a few seconds and there are loads of bars and restaurants really close by and a fabulous market just across the street. The Placa Reial is definitely worth a visit, 5 minutes walk away - it is a pretty square packed with restaurants and perfect for an afternoon of people watching or an evening meal. The beach is about 20/30 minutes walk away and the harbour area has some nice restaurants although we found them to be overpriced and the service was appalling so would avoid those in favour of the lovely neighbourhood tapas bars.

Overall this hotel is a good choice for a central location but don't expect anything too flashy.

Room Tip: The apartments are great for groups or people travelling with children but felt a little hostel-like...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Emma W
Operagarden, Director General at Petit Palace Boqueria Garden, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
Dear Emma,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience at the Petit Palace Boqueria! I´m glad to see you had a great time in Barcelona and a nice stay with us.
As for the appartments entrance, I appreciate your comments and I promess you that we will work on it to try to improve it.
I´m looking forward to welcome you back on your next trip to Barcelona.

UK
Reviewed 16 June 2014

This is a lovely little hotel but I have one major complain which prevents me from being able to give it a 5, or even 4 star rating. Still I want to start with the good points as they are many.

The hotel is in a great location, literally minutes away from the metro allowing for stress free airport transfers and general tourist activities.

The staff are (on the whole) friendly, polite and speak great English (so much better than my Spanish!).

The included breakfast was fine, fine dining it wasn’t but there was a plentiful supply of fresh fruit (but not hugely varied) and cold meats which were more than enough to keep us happy (there was hot stuff too for those requiring a bigger breakfast). The hotel is minutes away from the Boqueria market so if breakfast really doesn’t suit you then I’d recommend hopping over there instead and topping up on the amazing selection of fresh fruit. Drink prices were reasonable (not cheap but then no hotel is going to be and they were at least marginally less than out on the Ramblas)

The hotel is clean and the public area’s are attractive to look at (vaulted ceilings and an eclectic mix of old and new). I assume some of the bedrooms are equally attractive (tho not mine).

Ipod docks and laptops in the room was a nice touch

However …
I booked a 3 night stay as a birthday gift for my husband (who was having something of a landmark birthday). I wanted something a bit special as we were travelling without our daughter and looking forward to spending some quality time together. The Petit Palace advertised a ‘Romantic room’ and judging from (some) of the online pictures I had imagined this would be one of the older, more aesthetically pleasing rooms. We arrived, checked in and made our way up to our ‘romantic’ room only to be greeted by nothing less than TWIN beds.

Seriously? A romantic room with twin beds? Clearly Romance is pretty dead in this hotel.

I made my way back down to reception to inquire whether we had perhaps been put in the wrong room only to be informed that ‘double beds are subject to availability’. Yes, but I booked a ROMANTIC room MONTHS ago. Surely this qualifies for a double bed? Not only did we get twin beds but the room was grey. Grey curtains, grey carpet, grey bedspread, grey wardrobe. All of which was offset by stark white walls (no art, nothing).

Grudgingly the girl on the front desk finally moved us (and boy did she make her displeasure at doing this clear) to an identical GREY room one floor up which did at least have a double bed.
To say I was disappointed would be an understatement, there was nothing romantic about the room what so ever. It looked like nothing more than a basic business traveller room – as I said, Romance is very clearly dead here. Not wishing to face the dragon on the front desk again we said nothing further (there seemed little point as my initial request to speak with the manager had already been declined) and determined to make the best of our stay, spending as much time outside of the hotel as possible.

It’s a real shame that this happened as the hotel does have many plus points but I really really don’t think they should advertise a ‘romantic room’ (which by the way costs more than a standard double room!) and then give you a grey box with twin beds. I felt thoroughly cheated.

Room Tip: If you want a guaranteed double bed - stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Reive
Dear Guest,

First of all, thank you very much for sharing your experience at the Petit Palace Boqueria and for your positif comments.
I am very concerned for your comments and for your bad experience during your romantic getaway. This is not our way of working and I promise I'll try to find out what happened to your reservation and why we did not prepare your stay according to your needs and purpose of stay.
One of our major goals is to try to overcome the expectations of our customers and we try to personalize their stay according to the purpose of travel.

Dear guest, please do give us again the opportunity to surprise you in the future. Please do not hesitate to contact me on your next visit to Barcelona to personally manage your stay.

Once again, thank you very much,

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 14 June 2014

As per other reviews location is great and rooms are very modern for a European hotel and I found the wifi to be great. Staff were not that friendly, reception was always overcrowded and busy....maybe more staff required in peak periods and concierge for existing guests to ask questions instead of waiting for 25 groups to check in to ask a question. Breakfast was well below expectations, hot food was not even warm and constantly running out. I never arrived to breakfast once in 4 days before all of it was gone, different times, and had not been replenished. Also may be a good idea for someone to train staff clearing tables in the art off not blocking the buffet and walk through area when clearing tables next to the buffet, this happenened constantly and caused major disruption every morning and the girl clearing was completely unaware or didn't care the disruption to the traffic flow she was causing. Rooms very clean but if you are staying more than one night your room may not be serviced until after 4 or 5 pm.

Room Tip: Facing the garden
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience at the Petit Palace Opera Garden! I´m glad to see you had a great time with us!
I take good note of your comments about breakfast and I assure you that we will work to improve both the quality and the service.

Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 June 2014

This hotel has the best location especially if you only have a few days here. It's location is just off The Ramblas so very convenient day or night for sightseeing . The rooms are basic but clean with a power shower and good working air conditioning .

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank debsilver2016
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience at the Petit Palace Opera Garden! I´m glad to see you had a great stay with us and a good time in Barcelona!

I look forward to welcoming you on your next trip to Barcelona.

Best regards,

New Delhi, India
Reviewed 9 June 2014

We were 4 ppl and stayed there for 4 nights and took family room with a bunked bed. Firstly the room is much smaller and it does not look similar in the pictures posted. The room is decent and kept clean. Room service is disappointing, Very limited staff.
We were 4 ppl and they had given us only 2 glasses, when we asked to more glasses they refused to give us any, after we insisted and argued they agreed but asked us to come down and take it from the bar. The woman at the bar again refuses and after much argument gives us the glasses and asks us to give us back after use. The only thought it came to our mind was it is awfully expensive for a hostel type service.
Location of the hotel is good right at the La Ramblas but service needs to be improved.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Operagarden, Director General at Petit Palace Boqueria Garden, responded to this review, 10 June 2014
Dear Guest,

First of all, thank you very much for sharing your experience at the Petit Palace Boqueria! I´m really suprised to read you comments about our service since one of our main goals is to assure an excellent service to all our guests. I will talk with the team to try to clarify what happened with your issue with the glasses. There is no excuse, but I can assure you we have glasses enough for all our guests.

Best regards,

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 June 2014

Just came back from a fabulous trip to Barcelona made all the better by staying at this hotel. Central for everything, The Ramblas, shopping, excellent rail links and a 20 min walk to the beach genuinely couldn't ask for a better location. The hotel was spotlessly clean, modern, with friendly staff, slow but working free internet and well worth the money, although not sure about the star system in Barcellona as wouldn't rate as a four star hotel in the UK. If IKEA was to do a hotel I would imagine it would look similar to this! The shower was amazing but my kids felt funny that there wasn't a lock on the bathroom door. Breakfast was originally offered at 13 euros on the website but had a special offer of 9 Euros when we were there. This was a more realistic price for what was offered. Highly recommend this hotel which is priced correctly, just don't expect UK 4star luxuries and you won't be disappointed. Would definitely stay at same hotel again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience at The Petit Palace Boqueria! I´m glad to see you had a great time in Barcelona!

I hope to see you on yor next trip to Barcelona!