“Small luxury what?”

Ranked #89 of 514 Hotels in Barcelona
london
“Small luxury what?”
Reviewed 6 July 2009

This hotel lies within the heart of Barcelona, near to the University. It is a very modern hotel, 4 stars and apparently part of Small Luxury Hotels of the World. It certainly is 4 stars, but not luxury....
Arriving in the summer heat, I'm getting out of my cab, dragging my 2 big cases towards the hotel entrace...help is nowhere in reach. What happened to the luxury hotels that provide a door man? Getting into the entrance, a short flight of stairs lies ahead of me and I continue my struggle towards the reception. The receptionist clearly sees me, but decides to ignore my heavy luggage struggle. Welcome!
After check in finally a sort of porter arrives, happy to help me with my luggage up to my room. The room looks modern and comfortable. The bathroom however is very dark, not very practical...and worst of all greets me with a big silverfish bug in the bath tub/shower. Thanks God I have my flip flops with me!
Once unpacked I'm out to explore the town...
Am back. Tired, looking forward to a good night sleep before a long and hectic business day. Unfortunately my room faces the Gran Via, and the recently renovated hotel forgot to put in some double glazing!! Ear plugs in... still no rest and that is all night. I would have preferred an aiport hotel.
Off to a grumpy start - let's get some breakfast. A typically Spanish breakfast menu - not a problem, but the waiters should change their shirts from time to time. Not only am I tired now, I also lost all appetite and worst of all feel slightly sick!
Before leaving for my appointments I ask to change my room in the hope to get some sleep the following night. That all seems fine. Great!
Back in the evening I decided to try the bar. The atmosphere is a bit stiff - shame, after all we are in Barcelona, but I must admit the bar man is first class! Congrats - a real star.
My new room is quiet, without any bugs so I have an early night and get some well earned sleep.
The location of the hotel is generally good, but unfortunately there is no outside public area to have a drink or some food, which is a shame. The standard is ok, but if you are looking for luxury - go somewhere else. Also this hotel lacks atmosphere, a real shame because this is something you somehow expect when coming to Barcelona.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (236)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 18 June 2009

We were very pleased with the Casonova Hotel in Barcelona. Room was very comfortable and clean. Rooms at the back of the hotel overlooking the courtyard were very quiet. Staff were extremely helpful and everyone that we dealt with spoke English. Hotel was in a good location - walking distance to Placa de Catalunya and La Rambla.
We didn't have breakfast in the hotel and we found it expensive but there are plenty of cafes around that were cheaper.

2 Thank Holidaymaker2224
Chicago
Reviewed 7 June 2009

Very plush hotel, great location.

Staff was over the top nice/helpful. The overnight clerk was one of the nicest people we have met traveling, accommodated our after hours request for a cork screw, by searching through the hotel bar for 20 minutes before retrieving it.

Rooms are nice (Bed was one of the most comfortable I have ever slept in), view is ok. No rooftop terrace except for spa.

I have to agree w/ some other reviews that the design of the bathrooms is.....interesting.
Very dark, but its a bathroom so who really cares.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank stalin777
Phoenix
Reviewed 6 June 2009

Smashing suite with two toilets 2 tv's roomy great decor. Very functional. The restaurant food is great. Lobby bar is great for people watching. Staff ultra friendly and multi lingual and very helpful. Location is great for strolling to main tourist sights. The spa gives great massages!
Matches the magnificence of Barcelona!!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank marcoaz
Vancouver, BC Canada
Reviewed 5 June 2009

We stayed at this hotel for 2 days pre-cruise and 4 days post-cruise. The staff is very helpful with directions, and any requests. The room pre-cruise wa on the street side with a small balconey which was nice but that was one of the nights of the games so people were celebrating and honking horns all night so we requested a room in the back on our return and it was very quite, but no view. I would recommend this hotel, it is a short walk to Ramblas, very well maintained and very modern. I would stay here again, & I am quite fussy about where we stay. The bathroom was quite large and bedroom good size for Europe standards

3 Thank Linda232323
Sheffield, England
Reviewed 4 June 2009

We travelled to Barcelona for a 3 night stay with 2 adults, 2 children (aged 11 and 6) and 2 grandparents. Had found it difficult to find a Hotel we liked in Barcelona that could accomodate 2 adults and 2 children in the same room so after reading good reviews about this hotel on TripAdvisor we booked 2 rooms with 1 extra bed in each. The hotel is clean and modern, trendy but comfy and not pretentious. The rooms had very comfy beds with wooden floors, LCD TV and safe - rooms were a bit on the small side but had very nice bathrooms. All the staff we came into contact with were very helpful and spoke flawless English. The bar and lounge area were lovely as was the restaurant. We had breakfast in the restaurant one day and although it was a fabulous selection of bread, cheese, cold meet, juices, fruit, cereal, etc it was expensive - 90 euros for 5 people, which was 3 times what we paid in local restaurant/cafe's on the other days.
The hotel is approx 10-15 mins walk to La Rambla but the area seemed a little seedy, especially in the evening. Some nice restaurants nearby, particularly an Italian style called Zian - a couple of blocks from the Hotel heading away from the centre of Barcelona, good food and service and not overpriced. This is the second time I've visited Barcelona and although its still a vibrant, exciting city, personal safety was a big concern. My father had his wallet stolen within the first few hours of arriving and my husband caught a pickpocket with his hand still in his pocket - the metro in particular seems a favourite haunt. The trick seems to be to wait until everyone starts to get on the train and then rush the passengers, pushing and shoving as they go, whip out the purses/wallets and jump off the train again. We spent the first evening at the local police station - a reminder that you really shouldn't carry more cash than you need and should leave anything valuable in the hotel safe!

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank stressedoutmama
Alaboys
Reviewed 29 May 2009

Beautiful rooms...Quiet...Close to metro stop with grocery, cafes on the way. Bus stops in front of hotel. VERY modern...we didn't even know we had a second half-bath until end of trip. Staff helpful with travel information. Felt very secure and comfortable. Great linens and water pressure!

2 Thank Alaboys