“The hotel was a delight!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hostal L' Antic Espai

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Hostal L' Antic Espai
Ranked #51 of 325 Barcelona B&B and Inns
Kenwood, California
“The hotel was a delight!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2011

The rooms were beautifully and lovingly decorated, The location was perfect; everything in Barcelona was within walking distance. The owners were delightful and extrememly helpful with wonderful recommendations for restaurants, transportation and events.

Room Tip: The room on the Gran Via and the terrace room were the best.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kris132

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
  • Korean first
St. Louis, Mo.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2011

My girlfriend and I were switched into this hotel in early July 2011 after our tour group messed up somehow and, we gather, failed to actually book our room at the hotel they said we would get. After checking in here, we got on my girlfriend's Iphone and looked at the reviews of this place and were honestly shocked. No. 4 in Barcelona? I find that difficult to believe.

For starters, there was a not insignificant amount of mold in the caulking of the very small (even for European standards) shower of our room, 105. It was gross (see attached pictures). Plus, I'm a 6-foot-1 male and I slammed my elbows into the walls of the shower many times by accident.

Also, the drinking water there is not potable, apparently. See the attached picture of a note that accompanied a pitcher of water left in our room the first day. How a hotel with water you can't drink is the 4th best in a city that hosted the Olympics is mind-blowing.

The room itself was of standard European size, small by American standards. It was of cool temperature, which was nice because other rooms we've had in Spain could be uncomfortably warm. It was clean, though the only storage in the room was a gigantic armoir. The bed was too stiff for my liking, but I know that's a personal opinion.

The room opened to a good-sized balcony with two tables that would have been enjoyable for eating, except that the balcony is shared by four rooms, meaning you get zero privacy out there. Plus, by opening to a balcony shared by three other rooms, it's difficult to open your room's blinds because there were always people right outside your window. It's one thing when you don't have privacy out on the balcony, it's another when that lack of privacy makes it basically impossible to open your own room's blinds without letting others see inside.

Many reviewers praised the decor of the hotel. Personally, I disliked it. It made me think of an old woman's attic on steroids, with ugly junk and knick-knacks all over. A garage sale would do this place a great deal of good, I think. I realize this is just my own opinion, and that maybe this kind of decor simply targets a different demographic. But if you're younger than about 80, I imagine that most of this stuff will likely seem junky and old and ugly.

True to other reviews, the staff was very friendly and eager to help. I cannot remember the gentleman's name, but he ordered us a cab for our ride to the airport when we left, and gave us many suggestions for food and tourist sites near the hotel. He also warned of pickpockets and gave us his cell number in case we needed anything. We were also given some complimentary sangria upon arrival. No complaints at all regarding the staff.

This hotel wasn't terrible. I just cannot understand how it has received so many 5-star reviews on here, or how it grew to the No. 4 ranking in Barcelona. Of the three hotels we stayed in Spain, it was easily the worst of the three. In my opinion, this is at best an average hotel, possibly far below average.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank superbrian83
pgolpe, Propietario at Hostal L' Antic Espai, responded to this review, 3 August 2011
I don’t understand how you can accept that somebody bring you in one hotel that you don’t decide to stay. That was the first mistake you did. It’s not our fault that you let somebody else decide for you and for that you come to L’ Antic Espai and you don’t really like antiques. Our interior décor is very special and the reason why so many people from every kind of demographic love our little place. Of course, people who likes historic, antic and classic decoration. About the ugly junk and knick-knacks we have here and we love, I only can tell you: Please open a book about history or visit more museums in Europe and them you will understand.
I think you need to accept what more of our costumers agree, we are one of the best hotels from Barcelona also if for you is difficult to believe. Don’t forget you are one in the world and our main costumers are American. It has not relation with nationality.
Sorry for your terrible experience but about decoration we don’t need any suggestion from you because it’s not your style.
About the water, any suggestion about it, in a city close to see is necessary. I’m doctor and I know: See water is very bad for the body because the salt and mineral in it. That is what we mean. I been traveling a lot and I never drink water from the top. The problem is to avoid buy mineral water? Which relation has that with the Olympic Games?
About the amount of mold in the caulking I would like to know from where is this picture. Sure not from our bad room or maybe with Photoshop. The size of our rooms is not big, it’s true, but they are functional what is more important.
To leave closes, as you said, we have a big armory in the room for it. It’s not enough? Are you coming for a couple of days?? For what you need more space?
About the situation with the patio I only want to say: If you have problem saying others people rent the whole hotel for you and them the problems are solve. It’s impossible that every time were people sitting in front of your door because who come to Barcelona to seat on the hotel terrace??? If someone is sitting in from of your door you can said: Excuse me, ca I pass by???
Also staying home if I don’t want that my neighbor see me I need to close my curtains. It’s normal or not??
Regards,
Abel Estévez González.
Toronto
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2011

On our first day, we arrived at 2:00 p.m. in the afternoon, pressed the buzzer to the 2nd floor hotel and no one answered. We used our cell phone to contact them with no success, so we opted to roll our bags to the nearby 4-star hotel and fortunately, the reception staff offered to store our bags so that we could go for a stroll or a coffee. They also called L'Antic Espai and there was no answer. Eventually, the chamber maid let us in and offered us an ice cold sangria, which was very thoughtful.

My recommendation is to call in advance from the airport or train station to ensure that someone will be there to greet you and assist you with your bags. It's awkward to depend on alternate hotel staff.

We spent 8 days with Abel and Sergio, who are amazing hosts. These two and their auxiliary staff go out of their way to provide assistance with luggage, laundry, transportation, and they gave us excellent advice about restaurants as well as sightseeing suggestions. Do pay heed to Abel's invaluable tips to foil pickpockets––a serious problem in Barcelona. My husband's wallet disappeared in the nearby Passeig de Gracia Metro station as he was walking down the stairs (he ignored Abel's sage advice).

We stayed in terrace room 104, which was lovely. The only drawback is that the large, 12' high armoire lacks storage drawers, which meant that we had to live out of our bags. This place is fun and quirky, clean, well-located, and the owners are kind; however, it's not ideal for a long-term stay. They could also improve their breakfasts by providing fresh bakery products such as whole grain breads rather than white wonder bread, croissants, and little cakes in cellophane, which remind me of airplane food. It would also be nice if they would vary the breakfast menu occasionally by providing some different fresh fruit, rather than cut up apples, bananas and grapes each and every morning.

I have a concern about their air freshening system that emits a chemical-perfume odour every hour during the day. I am not keen on breathing volatile organic compounds. I brought this matter to their attention and I'm certain that they'll work on it as I believe that they are genuinely concerned and caring.

The space is lovely and the owners are kind and attentive, but improvements need to be made.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank FreighttrainToronto
pgolpe, Propietario at Hostal L' Antic Espai, responded to this review, 20 July 2011
I need to say sorry about what happened when you arrive and nobody answers the door. The problem was that our reception is not 24 hours open. Late in the morning and in the beginning of the afternoon is only the made in the hotel. Sometimes she is cleaning the terrace, in others words, in the back size of the hotel and there is difficult to hear the bell. For that is very important by booking to let us know at what time is your arrival. Employs cost a lot of money to have somebody 24 hours at the reception.
About the armory with not lacks storage drawers it’s not true inside it you have two pieces of it.
In our breakfast we offer from bakery toast bread, croissant and muffins. If you want something different, as you did with the cereal, for example, because our cereal where not good enough for you and we went to the supermarket to by another kind of it. If you had said for sure we had bought anything different for you. In not case our breakfast is like an airplane breakfast. About the fruits we change the fruits about couples of time per week depending of consumption. Of course, we use the season fruits. We cannot buy the more expensive fruits because it’ll make our breakfast more expensive and that is what the customer don’t really want.
About the air freshening system that emits a chemical-perfume odor every hour during the day we have to say that the product had the laboratory certificate and they are made with natural or semi natural aromatic essences. This product is giving a nice touch to the air and they are deodorant what clean the air from any possible bad odor. During the night, after 21 hours the machine stops.
Best regards,
Abel Estévez.
Scranton, PA, USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2011

I do not want to waste your time repeating all the wonderful reviews you'll see below. They are true. The level of personalized service is outstanding, including even pick-up and drop-off at the airport at very nominal rates by a member of the staff.

The name translates as "The Old Space" and it fulfills this beautifully. Everything is tastefully accomplished. Yet, the hotel is technologically advanced with Hi-Speed Internet, and fingerprint recognition for keying of entries.

I would cerainly put this on the top of my list for a stay in Barcelona. I found the rooms perfectly adequate in size, and the breakfasts on the terrace a lovely way to start the mornings. Why stay in a standard hotel when you can experience the difference here?

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank LFA
Windermere, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2011

Stayed for 2 nights before a Med cruise. Is the place quirky? Yes. Would I recommend to a friend or stay again. Absolutely on both counts. We had room 104 which had terrace access and we loved it. The service provided by Segio, Abel (thank you for your help with voluminous luggage) and the lovely Carla were exemplary. I just wish we had booked earlier for our cruise return somthat we could have enjoyed even longer.

• Stayed June 2011
      Location
      Rooms
1 Thank NatsDad
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2011

We stayed at Hostal L'Antic Espai for 11 days during June. There is not enough space on this posting to note all the positive things we can say about this establishment. The fantastic hosts/owners - Abel and Sergio - were ever attentive, knowledgeable, and courteous. They knew the local area well and gave many recommendations for restaurants and shopping venues - all to our liking. They helped with language and cultural issues.

This Boutique Hotel is comfortable, extremely well decorated with tasteful antiques, knick-knacks, and pieces of art. Both hosts are very knowledgeable about their antiques and furniture. Rooms are decorated in-line with certain time periods. Particularly appreciated was their laundry service, high speed internet access, the breakfasts, the beautiful maid Carla, the antiques, the authentic floor tiles, the security of the building (fingerprint technology), the frilly shower caps and overall value for money. The location is ideal - 3 mins to La Ramblas or the Cathedral. Taxi stand at the door stop. Metro train 2 mins.

Chain Hotels are a dime a dozen and meet a certain need within the travel market - but Hostal L'Antic Espai is unique. We have no hesitation in recommending this Boutique Hotel to visitors to Barcelona. I am confident that Abel and Sergio will ensure that your stay is as memorable as ours was.

If we could - we would be back there tomorrow.

Room Tip: Room 102 (double with private balcony) or one of the rooms facing onto the terrace
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Froufrou64
Brasilia, DF
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2011

When arrived, not surprised at all, after reading all the coments here at Tripadvisor and making my reservation with them! A jewel to be discovered, is this small boutique hotel in lovely Barcelona (but large in comfort and luxury)! Nicely located at Gran Via de les Corts Catalanes. Nice room(108) for a single guy with a very good bed! Spotless clean, and super conveniently located at Gran Via detuguese(Sergio) ! Close to all major atractions (specially those at Paseo del Gracia)! And what a joy to wake up every morning and have a diferent setting of chinaware(porcelain) to use! Felt like a superstar in a "Ritz Carlton" but paying budget! And cherry to the cake: the special and friendly attention of its owners, Abel and Sergio (helping guests in english,spanish and brazilian-portuguese- Sergio) and all staff (Fahina,Karla,Mohanet)!! Will be back, for sure!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled solo