“Kept looking for my Grandma, surely she decorated this place”

Hostal L' Antic Espai
Ranked #62 of 308 Barcelona B&B and Inns
Reviewed 4 August 2011

Good location, 2 blocks from major tourist destinations, next to the subway line and several good restaurants.

The entrance is a door in a door, the kind you normally see in French movies. You have to ring a bell to be let in, then its up a floor (2 sets of stairs) before you get to the hotel. It's actually the 2nd floor of a multi-story building. I read that others had problems checking in and I can understand. I was let in by the housekeeper about 1:00 in the afternoon. The manager is there in the morning and late afternoon. Left my bag and headed out. Returned later and manager was there to give me a key. My room looked out over the street, but there was insulating balcony with a double pane door to block the sound. But, I could feel the rumble of the subway every now and then. Not a bad thing, sort of comforting.

Did I mention my Grandmother had to have decorated this place. It had every art deco, ceramic, dust collector, bric-a-brac every made. All of the furniture was from the distant past, but not a bad thing. It is probably romantic in a couples sort of way.

Breakfast was included in room, I opted for coffee, juice and bread. Lovely. Again, very old fashioned, took me back to yesteryear.

Wifi worked once password given, never had a problem with it.

I'd go back to hotel if ever in Barca. But, unless for business probably wouldn't go back. Loved Madrid and Pomplona, but didn't like attitude of majority of folks in Barca. Let me say staff at hotel didn't have attitudes other than what can they do to help.

Room Tip: #102 has private balcony, 2 chairs and seatee, great view of street. Other rooms share balcony'...
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank MBZBOY
There are newer reviews for Hostal L' Antic Espai

Reviewed 22 July 2011

Small, warm and eclectic - like being in Grandma's house surrounded with her antiques. The staff is very kind and attentive - much more than a hotel - like a home away from home. The terrace outside our rooms (we went with another couple) was garlanded with vines and flowers, the birds in their cages provided a sweet backdrop to our breakfast, and the space proved to be a wonderful spot to wind down the evening with a nice bottle of wine and soft breezes. Hard to believe we were in the middle of a vibrant and exciting city. Ask for rooms 105 and 107. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 July 2011

The rooms were beautifully and lovingly decorated, The location was perfect; everything in Barcelona was within walking distance. The owners were delightful and extrememly helpful with wonderful recommendations for restaurants, transportation and events.

Room Tip: The room on the Gran Via and the terrace room were the best.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kris132
Reviewed 13 July 2011

My girlfriend and I were switched into this hotel in early July 2011 after our tour group messed up somehow and, we gather, failed to actually book our room at the hotel they said we would get. After checking in here, we got on my girlfriend's Iphone and looked at the reviews of this place and were honestly shocked. No. 4 in Barcelona? I find that difficult to believe.

For starters, there was a not insignificant amount of mold in the caulking of the very small (even for European standards) shower of our room, 105. It was gross (see attached pictures). Plus, I'm a 6-foot-1 male and I slammed my elbows into the walls of the shower many times by accident.

Also, the drinking water there is not potable, apparently. See the attached picture of a note that accompanied a pitcher of water left in our room the first day. How a hotel with water you can't drink is the 4th best in a city that hosted the Olympics is mind-blowing.

The room itself was of standard European size, small by American standards. It was of cool temperature, which was nice because other rooms we've had in Spain could be uncomfortably warm. It was clean, though the only storage in the room was a gigantic armoir. The bed was too stiff for my liking, but I know that's a personal opinion.

The room opened to a good-sized balcony with two tables that would have been enjoyable for eating, except that the balcony is shared by four rooms, meaning you get zero privacy out there. Plus, by opening to a balcony shared by three other rooms, it's difficult to open your room's blinds because there were always people right outside your window. It's one thing when you don't have privacy out on the balcony, it's another when that lack of privacy makes it basically impossible to open your own room's blinds without letting others see inside.

Many reviewers praised the decor of the hotel. Personally, I disliked it. It made me think of an old woman's attic on steroids, with ugly junk and knick-knacks all over. A garage sale would do this place a great deal of good, I think. I realize this is just my own opinion, and that maybe this kind of decor simply targets a different demographic. But if you're younger than about 80, I imagine that most of this stuff will likely seem junky and old and ugly.

True to other reviews, the staff was very friendly and eager to help. I cannot remember the gentleman's name, but he ordered us a cab for our ride to the airport when we left, and gave us many suggestions for food and tourist sites near the hotel. He also warned of pickpockets and gave us his cell number in case we needed anything. We were also given some complimentary sangria upon arrival. No complaints at all regarding the staff.

This hotel wasn't terrible. I just cannot understand how it has received so many 5-star reviews on here, or how it grew to the No. 4 ranking in Barcelona. Of the three hotels we stayed in Spain, it was easily the worst of the three. In my opinion, this is at best an average hotel, possibly far below average.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
7  Thank superbrian83
pgolpe, Propietario at Hostal L' Antic Espai, responded to this reviewResponded 3 August 2011

I don’t understand how you can accept that somebody bring you in one hotel that you don’t decide to stay. That was the first mistake you did. It’s not our fault that you let somebody else decide for you and for that you come to L’ Antic Espai and you don’t really like antiques. Our interior décor is very special and the reason why so many people from every kind of demographic love our little place. Of course, people who likes historic, antic and classic decoration. About the ugly junk and knick-knacks we have here and we love, I only can tell you: Please open a book about history or visit more museums in Europe and them you will understand.
I think you need to accept what more of our costumers agree, we are one of the best hotels from Barcelona also if for you is difficult to believe. Don’t forget you are one in the world and our main costumers are American. It has not relation with nationality.
Sorry for your terrible experience but about decoration we don’t need any suggestion from you because it’s not your style.
About the water, any suggestion about it, in a city close to see is necessary. I’m doctor and I know: See water is very bad for the body because the salt and mineral in it. That is what we mean. I been traveling a lot and I never drink water from the top. The problem is to avoid buy mineral water? Which relation has that with the Olympic Games?
About the amount of mold in the caulking I would like to know from where is this picture. Sure not from our bad room or maybe with Photoshop. The size of our rooms is not big, it’s true, but they are functional what is more important.
To leave closes, as you said, we have a big armory in the room for it. It’s not enough? Are you coming for a couple of days?? For what you need more space?
About the situation with the patio I only want to say: If you have problem saying others people rent the whole hotel for you and them the problems are solve. It’s impossible that every time were people sitting in front of your door because who come to Barcelona to seat on the hotel terrace??? If someone is sitting in from of your door you can said: Excuse me, ca I pass by???
Also staying home if I don’t want that my neighbor see me I need to close my curtains. It’s normal or not??
Regards,
Abel Estévez González.

Reviewed 10 July 2011

On our first day, we arrived at 2:00 p.m. in the afternoon, pressed the buzzer to the 2nd floor hotel and no one answered. We used our cell phone to contact them with no success, so we opted to roll our bags to the nearby 4-star hotel and fortunately, the reception staff offered to store our bags so that we could go for a stroll or a coffee. They also called L'Antic Espai and there was no answer. Eventually, the chamber maid let us in and offered us an ice cold sangria, which was very thoughtful.

My recommendation is to call in advance from the airport or train station to ensure that someone will be there to greet you and assist you with your bags. It's awkward to depend on alternate hotel staff.

We spent 8 days with Abel and Sergio, who are amazing hosts. These two and their auxiliary staff go out of their way to provide assistance with luggage, laundry, transportation, and they gave us excellent advice about restaurants as well as sightseeing suggestions. Do pay heed to Abel's invaluable tips to foil pickpockets––a serious problem in Barcelona. My husband's wallet disappeared in the nearby Passeig de Gracia Metro station as he was walking down the stairs (he ignored Abel's sage advice).

We stayed in terrace room 104, which was lovely. The only drawback is that the large, 12' high armoire lacks storage drawers, which meant that we had to live out of our bags. This place is fun and quirky, clean, well-located, and the owners are kind; however, it's not ideal for a long-term stay. They could also improve their breakfasts by providing fresh bakery products such as whole grain breads rather than white wonder bread, croissants, and little cakes in cellophane, which remind me of airplane food. It would also be nice if they would vary the breakfast menu occasionally by providing some different fresh fruit, rather than cut up apples, bananas and grapes each and every morning.

I have a concern about their air freshening system that emits a chemical-perfume odour every hour during the day. I am not keen on breathing volatile organic compounds. I brought this matter to their attention and I'm certain that they'll work on it as I believe that they are genuinely concerned and caring.

The space is lovely and the owners are kind and attentive, but improvements need to be made.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank FreighttrainToronto
pgolpe, Propietario at Hostal L' Antic Espai, responded to this reviewResponded 20 July 2011

I need to say sorry about what happened when you arrive and nobody answers the door. The problem was that our reception is not 24 hours open. Late in the morning and in the beginning of the afternoon is only the made in the hotel. Sometimes she is cleaning the terrace, in others words, in the back size of the hotel and there is difficult to hear the bell. For that is very important by booking to let us know at what time is your arrival. Employs cost a lot of money to have somebody 24 hours at the reception.
About the armory with not lacks storage drawers it’s not true inside it you have two pieces of it.
In our breakfast we offer from bakery toast bread, croissant and muffins. If you want something different, as you did with the cereal, for example, because our cereal where not good enough for you and we went to the supermarket to by another kind of it. If you had said for sure we had bought anything different for you. In not case our breakfast is like an airplane breakfast. About the fruits we change the fruits about couples of time per week depending of consumption. Of course, we use the season fruits. We cannot buy the more expensive fruits because it’ll make our breakfast more expensive and that is what the customer don’t really want.
About the air freshening system that emits a chemical-perfume odor every hour during the day we have to say that the product had the laboratory certificate and they are made with natural or semi natural aromatic essences. This product is giving a nice touch to the air and they are deodorant what clean the air from any possible bad odor. During the night, after 21 hours the machine stops.
Best regards,
Abel Estévez.

Reviewed 7 July 2011

I do not want to waste your time repeating all the wonderful reviews you'll see below. They are true. The level of personalized service is outstanding, including even pick-up and drop-off at the airport at very nominal rates by a member of the staff.

The name translates as "The Old Space" and it fulfills this beautifully. Everything is tastefully accomplished. Yet, the hotel is technologically advanced with Hi-Speed Internet, and fingerprint recognition for keying of entries.

I would cerainly put this on the top of my list for a stay in Barcelona. I found the rooms perfectly adequate in size, and the breakfasts on the terrace a lovely way to start the mornings. Why stay in a standard hotel when you can experience the difference here?

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank LFA
Reviewed 7 July 2011

Stayed for 2 nights before a Med cruise. Is the place quirky? Yes. Would I recommend to a friend or stay again. Absolutely on both counts. We had room 104 which had terrace access and we loved it. The service provided by Segio, Abel (thank you for your help with voluminous luggage) and the lovely Carla were exemplary. I just wish we had booked earlier for our cruise return somthat we could have enjoyed even longer.

• Stayed: June 2011