“Disappointing”

Ranked #52 of 326 Barcelona B&B and Inns
regina, canada
“Disappointing”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2011

We spent just over a month in Spain and Portugal, and of all of the places we stayed this is the only one that disappointed us. If we had just stayed one night we likely would have been happy, but after three nights we found that there were too many issues to really call our stay enjoyable.

First, the good news. The location is great, just a few blocks from Las Ramblas, within easy walking distance of Sagrada Familia and many other attractions, and relatively easy to find, even in a large city like Barcelona.

Now for the bad news. The hotel was way too over-decorated. This isn't just a matter of personal taste - we found that it was so cluttered that it was difficult to find room for our own stuff. At first it was quaint, but then it just became irritating. Toiletries were not replaced. Several of our bath towels had holes in them. Cleanliness of the floors was not great - we ran our foot towel over the floor in the bathroom after a shower, and it came up dirty. The bathroom is too small for any of your own toiletries (ie shaver, makeup) to be stored. We had a room that adjoined the outside terrace. That was ok as long as your neighbours were quiet when they used it, but that wasn't always the case and several times we were awoken by groups having an early breakfast on the terrace. If the neighbours don't wake you up, then the birds in the cages likely will. I love birds, and don't mind waking up to bird song, but one of the caged birds had a metallic screech that sounded like some of the toys that the street vendors on Las Ramblas were hawking.

Overall, we were definitely expecting better. I would not recommend this hotel for a stay greater than one night.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank livetotravelcdn
pgolpe, Propietario at Hostal L' Antic Espai, responded to this review, 15 August 2011
Thanks letting us know your opinion about our place. It can help to provide a better service. There are some points that I would like to clarify.
First: The interior in our place is rich. It’s a Barroc Style. Is normal in this décor to have a lot of items taking part of the space. The rooms don’t have some much decoration as you think. The problem is that it is not very big, as the bathroom, as well.
Second: Toiletries, of course, are replaces, in case you need more than what we provide you can ask. You have a brochure in the room informing, in case you need something, please, ask at the desk. If your toiletries are not spending, is normal that we don’t put new one.
Third: About the cleanliness, sorry. But this is the first time peoples complaining about it. We will have it in mind.
Four: It’s true, you can hear peoples if they are sitting having breakfast on the terrace. It’s a public place. They will never be singing or screaming. But about talking we cannot do anything to help. I only can say: If our little Bird disturbs you to sleep you have some problem to sleep. This is really the first time a hear something like that in life.
Five: The towels incidence. Can be possible that one towel had a hole but I cannot believe that happened more than one time. It’s something that we care really a lot.
I’m very sorry about your general experience you had with us.
Regards,
Abel Estévez González.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
  • Korean first
Valencia, Spain
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2011

Whoever decorated this hotel obviously had a lot of fun doing so. Wherever you turned there was a display of interesting knick-knacks to look at. We also particularly enjoyed the breakfasts on the patio with the doilies covering the milk and orange juice. Everyone we interacted with was super friendly and attentive, and the rooms were clean and relatively spacious. Definitely better than its two stars would suggest. There were plenty of restaurants in the area to choose from for lunch and dinner if you didn't want to stray to far for a meal. The next time we're in Barcelona we will likely stay there again.

The only negatives would be that the hotel isn't really close to any of the main sights. Getting to those sights will require very long walks or the use of public transportation. We exclusively used taxis to get around and a 5-6 euro fare pretty much got you anywhere in the city. We also made the mistake of driving our car into Barcelona. The average rate for parking in a public parking garage is around 45 euros a night. With notice, the hotel will provide garage parking for your car for "only" 35 euros a night.

Room Tip: The rooms in the back with a door on the patio are the quietest
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Thanks a lot for your nice contribution in this page. I would like to explain that our hotel is very close to the tourist attraction. Like 3 minute from La Casa Batlló, 6 Minute from La Pedrera and Palau de La Música, 7 Minute from Barcelona Catedral. Las Ramblas are 10 minute walk distance from us. Sagrada Familia is 30 minute walking from our hotel. Parque Güell is 45 minute walking. But the problem is that these last two places are not very central. I can say: ¡Yes, we are close to most of tourist places!

Regards,
Abel Estévez González.
Antwerp, Belgium
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2011

Exceptional place. Great looking, real professional, clean, perfect located and quiet. Only minus is limited breakfast (coffee/tea, juice, bread, croissant, fruit, yoghurt, muesli, cheese/ham for extended breakfast)

• Stayed August 2011
2 Thank Jc0000988
Melbourne
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2011

Recommended by a work colleague, we were pleasantly surprised how wonderful this boutique hotel is. Abel and his team went out of their way to make our stay a memorable one - from breakfast on the balcony, to restaurant recommendations, transfers and all enquiries on what to see while in Barcelona - this was one of the highlights of our European trip. And yes on our return we would definitely stay again
Maxine & Bill McKendrick
Melbourne Australia

Room Tip: to enjoy the beautiful balcony breakfast request a balcony room and upgrade to full breakfast
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Maxine M
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2011

Highly recommend this boutique hotel! The owners Abel and Sergio and their dedicated staff went out of their way to make my stay an enjoyable one. The hotel is filled with wonderful antiques from Brazil and Cuba. It's almost like going back in time. I almost expected a matriarch of the hotel to join me for breakfast on the patio and regal me with her past loves.

I had a single room. It was small but perfect for me. The bed was very comfortable. The bathroom was clean and the water hot. When I arrived they were able to accommodate me since I arrived early in the morning (check-in is usually in the afternoon) and I was exhausted. So when I go to my room, I went straight to bed and slept very well.

One of my favorite things was their "Cubano" night. Drinks, food, live music and dancing. I met some really nice people and really enjoyed myself that evening. Also, you could borrow DVDs from their collection to watch in your room. That made it very homey for me. Wrapped up in bed, watching a movie...just like home.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank fluffystella2004
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2011

Good location, 2 blocks from major tourist destinations, next to the subway line and several good restaurants.

The entrance is a door in a door, the kind you normally see in French movies. You have to ring a bell to be let in, then its up a floor (2 sets of stairs) before you get to the hotel. It's actually the 2nd floor of a multi-story building. I read that others had problems checking in and I can understand. I was let in by the housekeeper about 1:00 in the afternoon. The manager is there in the morning and late afternoon. Left my bag and headed out. Returned later and manager was there to give me a key. My room looked out over the street, but there was insulating balcony with a double pane door to block the sound. But, I could feel the rumble of the subway every now and then. Not a bad thing, sort of comforting.

Did I mention my Grandmother had to have decorated this place. It had every art deco, ceramic, dust collector, bric-a-brac every made. All of the furniture was from the distant past, but not a bad thing. It is probably romantic in a couples sort of way.

Breakfast was included in room, I opted for coffee, juice and bread. Lovely. Again, very old fashioned, took me back to yesteryear.

Wifi worked once password given, never had a problem with it.

I'd go back to hotel if ever in Barca. But, unless for business probably wouldn't go back. Loved Madrid and Pomplona, but didn't like attitude of majority of folks in Barca. Let me say staff at hotel didn't have attitudes other than what can they do to help.

Room Tip: #102 has private balcony, 2 chairs and seatee, great view of street. Other rooms share balcony'...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank MBZBOY
Burlington, Vermont
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2011

Small, warm and eclectic - like being in Grandma's house surrounded with her antiques. The staff is very kind and attentive - much more than a hotel - like a home away from home. The terrace outside our rooms (we went with another couple) was garlanded with vines and flowers, the birds in their cages provided a sweet backdrop to our breakfast, and the space proved to be a wonderful spot to wind down the evening with a nice bottle of wine and soft breezes. Hard to believe we were in the middle of a vibrant and exciting city. Ask for rooms 105 and 107. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple