“FANTASTIC!!”

Hostal L' Antic Espai
Ranked #61 of 307 Barcelona B&B and Inns
Reviewed 29 March 2012

We have just returned today from Barcelona after spending 3 nights at this lovely and very unique hotel. Great location being so local to the bars & many many places to eat.
We loved our time there, and found the staff more than helpful. The rooms are lovely, all modern ammenities and it was lovely sitting on the balcony at night enjoying a bottle of wine.
Thanks guys for looking after us & delivering us to the airport today despite the General Strike!! Flight was on time! See you next time we visit Barcelona!!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank mjcox10

Reviewed 27 March 2012

I stayed here for 5 days earlier this month (March/2012)

This is a beautiful little place to stay. It occupies the second floor of a modernisme apt building. The room I had was one of the singles that opened up on to the common terrace. It was not large by any means but had what I needed and the antique furnishings were lovely.

The terrace was beautiful and a lovely place to sit and unwind.

Staff were wonderfully helpful in all regards.

My room included breakfast, which is brought to you on the terrace at the time you choose. It was an enormous breakfast - fruit, yogurt, granola, toast, croissant, cake, ham, cheese, oj and coffee. I ended up making ham and cheese sandwiches for later in the day - and then finding a place to eat my dinner in the late evening on La Rambla. So my food costs were very low - as my dinner often ended up being helado (ice cream) , or meringues filled with almonds.... you only live once.

One thing I should say is that if you have loud neighbors - and I did have loud neighbors, you will hear them. The terrace is supposed to close at 10 pm and my neighbors didn't respect this, they sat out with friends drinking and talking til midnight or later. So my suggestion to management would be to kindly and firmly remind people to quit the terrace at 10 when they check in. My ipod and earphones came in handy but just remember - this is an old building, it does not have modern soundproofing, and if you are very sensitive to noise it may not be for you. The character and good service made up for this for me.

Room Tip: Book a room that opens onto the terrace
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Sue W
Reviewed 16 March 2012

I am writing this review from the hotel, it's my second time staying here (chose it based on Trip Advisor rating) and I meant to write a review last time and didn't get around to it. This place is absolutely great. The negative things people have said have to do mostly I think with what type of place they were looking for. If you want lots of amenities 24 hours a day, no, this is not necessarily the place for you. But if you want a central location, great price, and lots of character and comfort, it's perfect. Lots of character, great decoration, you feel like you're living in a baroque palace! You can enjoy cava out on the terrace, borrow from the extensive DVD collection, and most importantly, get anywhere in Barcelona quickly and easily. Will stay here again!

Room Tip: Rooms on the terrace have the added bonus of a lovely place to have a snack or drink!
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank sarah T
Reviewed 15 March 2012

I travelled alone to Barcelona on business for MWC and chose this hotel based on the reviews and its ranking for Business Travellers.
Apart from a mix-up with the room on arrival, I found it lived up to expectation. The room situation was resolved and Muhannad and Sergio were both absolutely lovely - helpful, friendly, charming and attentive.
The terrace was delightful and breakfast there with others attending the Congress was a great way to start the day.
For someone travelling alone, it was perfect - excellent location, safe and with lots of personal touches making it more homely and welcoming than any other hotel I know.
Really found it most charming and would stay again/recommend.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank TravelWins
Reviewed 14 March 2012

I booked this hostal thinking it's a hotel. It felt more like a B&B with limited reception hours . Internet was down a lot but the staff always tried to help. I stayed in a single room for 3 nights across from reception. Room is clean and comfortable. However, I can hear the Metro when it runs. Location is very central. Price is good for the central location.

Stayed: March 2012
4  Thank Nika16041
pgolpe, Owner at Hostal L' Antic Espai, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2012

We want to thank you for staying in our hotel,
For the category of the hotel, it is a two star hostal, and yes it is true that we don’t have reception 24 hours something that we publish on our website, but that doesn´t mean that it is a B&B, knowing that we close the reception from the 24:00 till 06:00, leaving a phone to call use in case if anyone need something, as we live in the next building. That mean that we are available for any need from our costumers.
For the internet you are right, we had a problem in WiFi connection, but now it works good, and you can always use our computers in the reception, which is for the guest use, as it is connected with cable. Remember we are not Interner suppliers, Our Internet is free of charge.
You can feel Metro Vibration because you are living in Barcelona center beein in L Antic Espai. The building is an old one with wooden beams.
Regards,
Abel Estévez González.

Reviewed 14 March 2012

We stayed at this nice littel hotel for three nights as a family with two little children. It was one of the most relaxing stays with children at a hotel ever! The atmosphere was very friendly, relaxed and understanding, especially with the children, who of course were not always as calm as we would have liked and really loved the porcellaine figurines... ;-) The decoration was stunning, and very individual. The location is perfect, very central. We stayed in a room that had a little terrace, breakfast can be served there if wished. Like any other wish: fulfilled! "Jeanny in a bottle" apparantly stays and works at this super cute place!!!!!!!
Thank you for a great time and we will be back!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank ariane h
Reviewed 10 March 2012

Initially I wanted to mark this hotel down to the lowest possible score because I felt misled by the high ranking, claims of 5 star services, and facilities. Subsequent to my visit and given some time to mull it over, my opinion of the hostel (do not consider this a hotel) has changed or at least become more balanced.
We booked here at the last minute for the GSMA MWC event in Barcelona. Despite the high prices of surrounding hotels and it's central location, the hostel L Antic Espai offered us a very reasonable rate and two rooms.

I arrived and chose the single room, room 110. The initial welcome was warm and friendly, and the two staff members we met during our stay, remained as warm and welcoming throughout the period. The room was an unpleasant surprise, tiny with a heavy musty smell that turned out to come from a tiny hidden location behind the only door/window. This little hidden square was where the building's water tanks were located, an internal location that offered anything but fresh air. No other windows exist to the outside, so the room filled with this stuffy smell.

Finger printing allowed us free access through the doors 24 hours a day and the location was very central, minutes away from the main plaza de Catalunya and both the Red and Green lines on the Underground.

My room's condition and the sense of feeling cheated continued until the very last morning when I finally ate breakfast at the hostel. The little outdoor veranda where breakfast is served blunted that disappointment a little and together with the helpfulness of the two staff members, raised my view of this place somewhat.

What it is not is a business hotel, with the wireless down 75% of the time we stayed there (5 nights) and no lobby as in a traditional hotel lobby for a meeting area.

If you're traveling on a tight budget, this must be your number one place to consider. Sadly we will not be back there next time we visit Barcelona.

• Stayed: February 2012
3  Thank johandl

We would like to thank you for staying in our hotel, and for your nice words about our staff.
You are right that our hotel is not a business hotel as we have 10 rooms only, and as you said that there is no lobby, but we have a nice living room what is use as a sitting area, and also the terrace. Of course if are having a cheap room you have not a terrace available. For it you should confirm other tariff. Next time we recommend you a room which opens to the terrace.
About which kind of place we have. It’s true it’s an very small place but for the service we offer it’s not a hostel it’s a Boutique Hotel. Hostel has not the services we offer and you can check it in our Web Site.
The prices during GSM are very high in the entire city, its something you should know if you are use to come for it.
During your stay we had a problem with the Wifi, as in the time of GSM everybody is using it, but we have a computers in the reception that it is always connected, as it is connected with the cable to the internet. Don’t forget, we are not Internet Suppliers. Our Internet is with not charge available.
And for the bad smell of the room where you stayed can be possible. It’s a occasional situation.
Thanks a lot,