“HiddenTreasure”

Hostal L' Antic Espai
Ranked #60 of 308 Barcelona B&B and Inns
Reviewed 16 April 2012

Adored this place! Sergio and Muhanned were extremely helpful and courteous. A tightly run but very accomodating ship from Check in to Check out. Very clean and comfy decor.The single rooms are small and not well lit but typical of Europe, but they have all the modern conveniences, plenty of mirrors for us gals and the biggest perk was the an en-suite bathroom for those who don't want to share private moments! Breakfast is served at your liesure and the presentation is charming. There is also a lovely shared Terrace alive with plant and flora that can be utilized during certain hours which I found to be a great place to sit with a glass of wine and unwind. This is a real find and great value for the money. And the location is perfect! Central to everything so all is within walking distance but also close to Plaza Catalunya, bus and Metro stops. There is also a Supermarket 1/2 block away for those who like to stock up on in room necessities. Also very secure and safe (esp for those traveling alone) with 24/7 thumbprint hotel access - so no key to lug around. And they offer other luxuries like in room Massage and Airport transfers, for a price of course. See below room recommendations.

Room Tip: If you are a woman over 30 traveling solo, ask for room 109 and you can't go wrong. Avoid 110 un...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank Lisa G

Reviewed 15 April 2012

We chose to stay here, based on Trip Advisor reviews, while passing through Barcelona on the way to Valencia. We had a suite with a private balcony. This is not a hostel, it is a bed and breakfast on one floor. It is filled with antiques of all types, giving it a quirky but richly appointed aura. The staff was very friendly and helpful. I agree with the other excellent reviews and won't repeat them but just want to say that this is now "our place" in Barcelona. We are already planning our next stay there.

• Stayed: March 2012
2  Thank amber9999
Reviewed 13 April 2012

This place was spot-on from the moment we arrived. As we were coming in the downstairs door, a young man, who turned out to be the manager on duty, whisked our bags away from us and up the stairs. Our room faced a busy (but broad and pretty) street but had noise-proof doors to keep the traffic out (and also had a balcony). The "extended" breakfast was so extensive that we couldn't finish it the first day (toast, croissants, butter, jams, ham and cheese) and so we ordered one extended and one "normal" for the two of us after that. Our room had a lovely stuccoed ceiling, magnificent chandelier and beautiful antique furniture. The spacious shower had immediate (and very) hot water. But what really makes the Antica Espai especially recommended is the kind attention we received from the staff, who ensured that we had a very pleasant stay. In response to several criticisms: the water is fine, although bottled tastes better, and if you can't climb one flight of stairs from the ground floor to the next, you'd better find a place with an elevator. My only criticisms: the coffee could have been better, and the Internet signal could have been stronger.

Room Tip: The three rooms at the back have access to a lovely terrace.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 April 2012

Stayed in a twin room with my dad on a trip to see FC Barca. Absolutely loved the place. Location is great - near bus stop from airport, walking distance to main square, restaurant etc but away from the noise. The rooms are nice size and the antiques add a nice vibe to the place. The staff were really helpful - even posted home a jumper we left behind to Ireland for us. Only down side is the stairs and lack of lift as my dad has bad knees. But it is where it is and if you know that up front then I cant fault the place. We were offered assistance with bags going up and down the stairs all the time. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank trippin_paddy
Reviewed 8 April 2012

This looks very attractive and in many ways, it is.The double rooms are well set up, the beds and pillows are comfortable.
The entry can be hard to find and once in the building, you have to walk up 4 half flights of very worn and broken marble stairs. This place is not for anyone with knee or hip problems.
Next, there are signs saying not to drink the water from the taps. There is one small flask provided, and after that, it can be supplied at over 2 euros a flask. What a rip off! The water in Barcelona is high quality, and you can buy 1.5L of water for 50 euro cents.
The only way to get tea or coffee is to order it, and it does come beautifully presented. However, as the desk is not manned 24/7, you can't get tea or coffee when you want and on some occasions in March, there was no-one there between 5.30pm and 7am. so no late nght or early morning tea.
As well, the plumbing is suspect. My sink blocked up and was still that way in the morning, so I had to change rooms.
I noticed some people like the breakfast. I was not impressed. I stayed in a monastery a week earlier and had fantastic food. What is provided here, is not great. I had pre paid, but decided to find my own after the first morning. For 10 euros, I got lukewarm coffee, cold white toast, a bit of sponge cake, half dried mandarins and strawberries, etc.
The internet conection was never strong and very intermittant. I lost numerous emails when the internet cut out while I was sending and writing.
The location is ok, but I think the Barri Gotic would be better.
For me, the 'cuteness' factor did not make up for the deficits.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
5  Thank Jennifer W
pgolpe, Propietario at Hostal L' Antic Espai, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2012

First we would like to thank you for staying in our place, and we are so sorry that you had a bad experience with us, but let us reply you about some bad things that you said:
For the stairs of the building, it’s true, we don’t have elevator and we are in the first floor, and the stairs are made of marble about 200 years ago, and it is considered as conserved art, so we can´t change it, and a lot of people usually take some photos of it as it is very antique, sorry that these things didn’t admire you. To find the place is not difficult because the street number and the hotel name are about the door.
The tap water is not drinkable in all Barcelona because there are a lot of salt and mineral what are not good for the health, so you are right that you have to buy it, and yes it is for 0.50€ from the supermarket, and for 2.00€ in the hotel, but do you think that we will go to buy you water and put it in our fridge, service it in a stylish antique way, to sell it to you for the same price that the supermarket? And if you go to any restaurant around it is more expensive than us. Above of that we give the option to our clients if they want to buy anything from outside and use our fridge, thing that we are sure not many hotels permit it. We offer the first bottle as a courtesy. The next one must be pay. I think in all hotels around the world will be charge for it.
Another thing, what do you expect to have as breakfast more than: croissants, toast, butter, marmalade, Ham and cheese, yogurt with cereals, fresh fruits, Magdalena, orange juice, and coffee, tea or chocolate and eggs??!!!
And we are right that we don’t have reception 24hours, especially during the month of March, because there are not a lot rooms, but we always leave our phone number if you need anything you can call us, as we live less than 1min from the hotel, the next building, and who told you that our clients can´t use the kitchen, actually all people that stay in our hotel they feel as if they were staying in their house, because they can use the kitchen, the fridge, the DVDs, our books, the living rooms, the screen in the salon … etc.
Taking about changing your room, I can´t believe that you said that the sink was blocked up, what were you waiting to do after vomiting in it??!!!! So I remind you that we offered you a Suite room with a double bed, during all your stay charging you 10.00€ which is nothing, and we received many emails asking for a double room, but we had to cancel all of them, so it was losing money for us, just trying to make you happier and enjoy your stay. And just to let you know, it took us more than 6 hours to clean the bathroom.
At last sorry again for the bad experience that you had, but I don´t know if it was your fault, or ours!!!
Abel Estévez González.

Reviewed 29 March 2012

We have just returned today from Barcelona after spending 3 nights at this lovely and very unique hotel. Great location being so local to the bars & many many places to eat.
We loved our time there, and found the staff more than helpful. The rooms are lovely, all modern ammenities and it was lovely sitting on the balcony at night enjoying a bottle of wine.
Thanks guys for looking after us & delivering us to the airport today despite the General Strike!! Flight was on time! See you next time we visit Barcelona!!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank mjcox10
Reviewed 27 March 2012

I stayed here for 5 days earlier this month (March/2012)

This is a beautiful little place to stay. It occupies the second floor of a modernisme apt building. The room I had was one of the singles that opened up on to the common terrace. It was not large by any means but had what I needed and the antique furnishings were lovely.

The terrace was beautiful and a lovely place to sit and unwind.

Staff were wonderfully helpful in all regards.

My room included breakfast, which is brought to you on the terrace at the time you choose. It was an enormous breakfast - fruit, yogurt, granola, toast, croissant, cake, ham, cheese, oj and coffee. I ended up making ham and cheese sandwiches for later in the day - and then finding a place to eat my dinner in the late evening on La Rambla. So my food costs were very low - as my dinner often ended up being helado (ice cream) , or meringues filled with almonds.... you only live once.

One thing I should say is that if you have loud neighbors - and I did have loud neighbors, you will hear them. The terrace is supposed to close at 10 pm and my neighbors didn't respect this, they sat out with friends drinking and talking til midnight or later. So my suggestion to management would be to kindly and firmly remind people to quit the terrace at 10 when they check in. My ipod and earphones came in handy but just remember - this is an old building, it does not have modern soundproofing, and if you are very sensitive to noise it may not be for you. The character and good service made up for this for me.

Room Tip: Book a room that opens onto the terrace
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo