“Nice but cramped”

London, United Kingdom
“Nice but cramped”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2012

Hostal L'Antic Espai - Gran Via de las Corts Catalans 660
A lot of what I read about this place seemed to match up with the reviews I had read on TripAdvisor (TA), but I cannot say I would return here if I could get a room at the nearby Hostal Girona.
I'll start with the positives, it is in a great location just at the bottom of Eixample near the Ramblas, Barri Gotic and Born and also not too far from the Sagrada Familia. You are surrounded by Metro stops and it is very accessible.
I absolutely loved the finger print entry system, very Mission Impossible. On arriving Sergio on the front desk was pleasant and welcoming, providing me with a map, showing me my room, the terrace etc, all good.
My room was 108 near the front desk and main door which did prove to be a problem as you hear everyone passing by and the main door slamming at all times of the day and night, ask for a room further away if you can. The room itself was very cramped, but the room sizes were mentioned in TA so no qualms there, although I wouldn't  of wanted to share such a small space. The bathroom was again small and as my synonym alludes I am a larger bloke and I found that I only just, just, fitted in the shower, but again sort of expected if not to such a sardine like extent.
As soon as I arrived I pointed out that the air con in my room was not working, Sergio promised to look at it and when I returned that evening there was a propellor fan in there, which took the edge off the heat, sort of. Sergio explained that he would get it looked at in the morning. This didn't happen and until I had to leave and pay Sergio was not in evidence, I found this a bit annoying and would have hated to share my cell with anyone with no air con to cool it down.
I did get breakfast thrown in with the room, it wasn't really worth it, soggy toast and a dried out croissant, which is a shame as it looked nice.
I am sorry to say I found this place to be somewhat of a let down but I could see why others may have had a much better experience.
Tips, this is up three steep flights of stairs, no lift,  do not have room 108, ensure your air con works and get breakfast out in Barcelona, its lovely :)

Room Tip: Avoid ones near the reception / front door
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
5 Thank Phatbloke
pgolpe, Propietario at Hostal L' Antic Espai, responded to this review, 7 June 2012
I would like to answer your opinion and said thanks to let us know how your experience was in our place.
First about the room size: Of course it’s a small room. As you book, it’s an interior single room. For more space you should pay more money. Europe size is not the same as, for example, American size. Our décor take also a lot space because is Antique furniture.
It’s correct; the air conditioning was out of order. For sure we did everything to solve the problem. Some time things happened and we need to wait till is resolves. Now it’s working perfectly. Sorry for that inconvenience. We offer you a discount because of it. Sorry that you think Sergio was nervous but of course with this kind of problem in our business who will be not nervous.
About our breakfast: We have three different breakfast, from the very small (Spanish breakfast) till the very big one (Continental Breakfast). If you choose the Spanish one, of course, you have not butter and Marmalade to put in to the croissant. But this is your choice.
Sorry about your bad experience but next time ask for a suite room and the continental breakfast. Of course, for it think you need to have a better budget.
Greetings,
Abel Estévez González.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
  • Korean first
NC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2012

At first glance, L'Antic Espai is like stepping into a museum. Chandeliers, furniture, and figurines abound. It's almost dazzling.

All those antiques should have made me uncomfortable---but the reality is--they didn't. This facility was comfortable and approachable. [I wouldn't take small children there, but teens--even slightly clumsy ones--aren't a problem.]

Our room was very pleasant and opened through sliding glass doors onto a lovely patio. We had a private bath. Wifi was nice, although it occasionally dropped. We had a nice continental breakfast.

The service is the best thing about this boutique hotel. Sergio handled our luggage, answered our questions, and arranged transportation to the airport. I couldn't have asked for a more gracious host. [He recommended a tapas restaurant that proved to be one of the best meals of our trip.]

The location is perfect. We were near stores, restaurants, banks, and Gaudi architecture.

I will make three cautionary notes. 1) One of the neighbors is really loud. She banged dishes and argued with a man for a long time. Fortunately, they calmed down by 2200. I had the sliding glass door open, so maybe I wouldn't have heard this with it closed. 2) If you are the type of tourist who likes a freezing-cold room in the summer, be prepared for comfortably cool instead. 3) You have to climb a set of stairs to reach L'Antic Espai. If you need an elevator, you may wish to consider another choice. [Sergio carried all of our luggage up for us, so that is not an issue.]

I loved this place. I would highly recommend it. And the next time I visit Barcelona, I will definitely make reservations here.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Eliza_nc
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2012

The review here is partially based on expectations and I might have made the mistake of expecting a hotel (rather than Hostal). This is more of a B&B. It's ranked a 2 star which makes sense. Had I known or understood that I might not have booked it. Wasn't a place to spend much time - felt a bit confining, fortunately we were out most of the time. That being said the staff was very friendly and helpful when they were there. Location is great. Appreciated the airport drop off service. Probably wouldn't stay again but I can see it being a good fit for others. Note: there are 27 steps to get up to reception, so if stairs aren't your thing you might want to skip it.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank John G
Please to contribute with your opinion and we proceed to answer your critics.
I do not know about the stars, what were your expectations and you relied upon to assess them. Surely not much 5 star hotels have some facilities as some we have. Example: personalized medical care. In case necessary, which has no extra cost, free Wi-Fi and others what you can check on our website. What give hotel category are the service and not the stars that hang on the door. At the same time we have no more stars because we are not interested because it makes our product more expensive. Do want to pay more?
As for the place itself, I consider it a matter of taste. Most of our customers love L 'Antic Espai and others do not. If you like antiques will love the place, otherwise you will feel, perhaps, overwhelmed. It's something that need to consider when you make the reservation.
Many thanks.
Abel Gonzalez Estevez.
somerset
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2012

My mother and I stayed at this charming little gem for 3 nights in room 101. In a city full of large hotels with ultra cool and minimilistic style, this tiny but beautiful place is certainly somewhere different. The hotel is full of baroque style antiques, our room was cosy and had a small terrace overlooking a noisy but pleasant road. We opted for the full breakfast which was absolutely delicious with everything served beautifully and with excellent attention to detail. As the main terrace is for the guests whose bedrooms overlook it, we ate at the posh little dining room/lounge giggling to ourselves that we were having tea with the Queen! Sergio on reception was charming, sweet and helpful and added to the whole lovely experience of the hotel. It is well located, nestled in between the Gaudi bildings to the north and the Barri Gothic Quarter to the south. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Rooms facing main terrace will be quieter at night as front facing rooms face busy street.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank elar
Zurich
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2012

This place is a true gem and pure delight! Everything is done with so much love. The room and the terrace were breathtaking and the breakfast the most charming we ever had! Little attentions, great flexibility and dedication to make the guest feel comfortable are staff's priority number one.The location is perfect, since everything can be reached in walking distance. We highly recommend it to everyone!!

Room Tip: Try to get the room with terrace, it is fantastic!
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Voyager N
Boulder, CO
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2012

A friend recommended this hotel and after reading the Trip Advisor reviews we thought we should book it for a recent trip (5/12) when we flew in/out of Barcelona for week in Provence. We loved much about this hotel. The location allowed us to take the bus to-from the airport and to walk everywhere. The owners were helpful , the "over the top" decor and antiques were something to be experienced and the bathrooms though small were clean and modern. The wifi was included and worked well and the chocolates were very yummy. However, there were a few things that took my rating down a few notches: 1) I booked the hotel online but when we arrived they didn't have any record of me having booked/paid for the room. Luckily I had a copy of my confirmation and they were able to give us a room but it took an hour for everything to be worked out. Ultimately, we got room #102 which had a private sunroom and was likely their best room; 2) the beds are rock hard and the pillows spongy foam. At home we sleep on a very firm mattress but these were beyond "firm" and I am a down pillow diehard and can't sleep with foam pillows. Finally, as in all old buildings, electric outlets are few and far between- those in our second room (#105 I think?) were too loose to adequately 'hold' our adapter & plugs so we woke up with no charge in our iPad & phone.

Room Tip: #102 was at the front of the hotel but the solarium and heavy velvet curtains buffered the sound bea...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank fanhut
Thanks for your opinion and all the nice words about our place.
We need to clarify, it’s correct that happened with the reservation. There was a mistake with the booking system and we had not the reservation in our records. What is not correct is that it was charged from the credit card. I think you can be honest with what you write. Of course we were able to said, everything was perfect, we had rooms available as you said. But we wanted to find our booking in the system. For that reason took so long till you got the room.
Who said that internet system never fails.
Mattress and pillows quality is something that everyone has his own taste. In general the costumers are happy with it. But is different from one to other person. The pillows softness we were able to change because we have a different kind of pillows. If you had told something we had change it.
About the electrics outlets, it’s not correct. We have so many as in modern hotels. The building where we are is old but our installations are 6 year old only. Maybe you have not checked right but sure there are enough outlets in the rooms. Some time the modern devices have heavy cables and can happens that felt down. It’s only a question of how you do it.
Abel Estévez González..
Vancouver, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2012

I will only say that if you base your choice of this lodging on the number of positive reviews, the rating is skewed. I believe those who may wish to post a less than favorable review do not, due to the owner's rebukes of negative postings.

In my opinion, this pension-style lodging is quirky for its decor but it's depressing beyond more than two nights. It's the kind of lodging that you leave the room key at the reception desk before you leave the building. The very small very high ceiling room with no outside window except to the building's water tanks was claustrophobic. I can't speak for the larger rooms with street facing windows.

Owners are good people and friendly but they do not take criticism constructively as can be seen on the responses to the less favorable reviews. Service only gets a two because of the non-staffing of the reception desk in the evenings. Location is excellent however.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
7 Thank ceboya
I wish I had the right to defend my business with the same courage that I have built. If you have the right to say I have the right to defend myself and explain my point of view of the situation. ¿It’s ok?
Depressing may be for you this property because you do not like what is offered. For example, our decoration. This is something particular. If you not like antiques, why choose L 'Antic Espai?
You book an interior single room will have to qualify for the category itself. If you can afford to improve the upgrade to a suite where you have a patio overlooking to a beautiful terrace or to the street, then you have a better offer.
We have not evening reception . There is an emergency phone available. The person on call arrives, the highest in 10 minutes. Nighttime hours are expensive and do not provide performance. So we've installed a modern door opening with the thumbprint of the customer. Very well accepted by guests. This is something that is clear on the website and does not detract from our product category. Our intention is that in L 'Antic Espai you feel at home from a friend or relative. As relaxed as possible. The person at the desk is there to help but not to pursue your steps.
We can decide how expensive we sell our rooms, we have enough people who has the money to pay for it.
Abel Gonzalez Estevez.