“Comfortable, Great Location, & Wonderful Staff”

Hostal L' Antic Espai
Ranked #53 of 305 Barcelona B&B and Inns
New York City, New York
“Comfortable, Great Location, & Wonderful Staff”
Reviewed 20 June 2010

As a single woman traveler I was looking for a smaller hotel that I would not feel like just another number -- and L'Antic Espai met all my expectations.

During my four night stay -- I felt that someone was always looking out for my best interest/comfort - from having coffee and breakfast offered to me when I arrived -- even when it was past breakfast time- to help/comfort with a small personal matter. Also good dinning recommendations and great general knowledge of Barcelona (which I fell in love with)

Don't be put off by outside of building (it looks like a plain office/residential building). If possible ask for a room with access to the terrace - the rooms are bigger and eating breakfast on the terrace is divine. The bed was really comfortable and the rooms and bathrooms are kept very clean---
The location is really great - as you can walk to a lot of sights/metro - but away from a lot of the city noises.

Some minor issues -- It's a small b &b - some don't expect fancy ammenities - there is one computer for guest use/ towels are not big & fluffy and small TVs - Also, the rooms are pretty close to one another so you might hear noises from other rooms/common rooms.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
  • Korean first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 19 June 2010

Beautifully decorated boutique hotel. My room faced onto a central service shaft, so was quite dark, but the room itself was extremely comfortable and blissfully quiet - had the best sleep I'd had in weeks the two nights I stayed. In a good location, short walk from Las Ramblas and easy access to the subway, buses, restaurants and everything you need. Very friendly staff, overall a great place to stay.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled solo
St Petersburg
Reviewed 18 June 2010

The hotel is located only a few minutes' walk away from Placa de Catalunya, Barcelona's central square, so many sights, including the famous La Rambla, are easily within walking distance from it. I had a difficulty finding it when I arrived, though - it appeared that this small hotel was on the second floor of an apartment building, and its sign is not very easy to find unless you know what you are looking for. In addition, the building has no elevator, so I had to drag my bag upstairs because a roommaid was the only person present there when I arrived.

My single room was small but air-conditioned and very cozy, full of antique-looking furniture. The wardrobe door cracked when opened or closed, but somehow did not feel this sound irritating because it looked so antique that you hardly expected it to open noiselessly. The elegant desk was a real period piece, with some old china decorating it. On the whole, the hotel definitely has an atmosphere - it is packed with antique furniture, china and chandeliers.

The bathroom with a shower was quite a good size, but the toilet was too close to the shower cabin, so if I was taller and my legs were an inch longer, I might have had a problem fitting them into this small space.

Breakfast is not included, but you can have it for an extra charge, and they will serve it either in the sitting room or on the veranda at any time you want to have it. I only had it on one day, and it was very good and served by the owner of the hotel.

The owners are very helpful - they gave me some useful advice on how to see the most of Barcelona in the time that I had, and how to take some safety precautions in public places. On the day of my departure, after I checked out, I store my bag at the owner's desk as my flight was later in the evening. The owner helped me carry my bag downstairs and wished me to have a good trip back home, which was another nice touch.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled on business
Mahwah, New Jersey
Reviewed 17 June 2010

A perfect location, perfect staff, would stay again.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
Nanaimo, Canada
Reviewed 16 June 2010

This was by far our best experience in Barcelona, let alone any hotel we have ever stayed in! The staff were amazing people and overly friendly. They were always willing to help, and gave us a very personal experience. The service was outstanding, from our folded laundry in brief cases, to the breakfast served to us on the terrace. Located in central Barcelona, we were always a walk away from the most amazing sights. This was definitely the best place we stayed in through our month-long stay in Europe. We highly recommend it!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
west sussex, UK
Reviewed 12 June 2010

My husband and I stayed here for 2 nights with friends. I booked it based on the reviews on Trip Advisor.
People had mentioned that it was upstairs,and had no lift-maybe a problem with3 large cases and 2 sets of golf clubs(we were going on somewhere else). But when we arrived we were told to leave our cases and a lovely young man brought them all upstairs for us,checked us in quickly and bought us a glass of wine as a welcome on the terrace - lovely!
We were in Room 7 and our friends were in Room 2. Both lovely rooms,exactly as pictured. Neither were massive but perfectly adequate for somewhere like Barcelona,where you are out all day sightseeing anyway. The shared terrace that led off our room was absolutely delightful- a quiet haven from the hustle and bustle of the city.
Another reviewer said the bed in Room 7 was exceptionally tiny which was a concern. We have a 6' bed at home, and while this bed wasnt as big,it was perfectly comfortable- we had a good nights sleep. There was a little noise from the tv area when we first went to bed,but it didnt last long,and is more the fault of inconsiderate guests rather than the hotel. The only time we felt or heard the subway was on the terrace,and that was just a vibration. I believe our friends heard it more in their room, but they had such a good nights sleep they overslept by 2 hours,and only woke when I texted them to see if they were ok. The bathrooms were small, but good showers, complimentary toiletries and clean!
Every single member of staff fell over themselves to make sure our stay was a good one. We were given an excellent restaurant reccommendation, Mohanned was extremely helpful and always smiling. Abel helped us make a car hire booking for nearly an hour when I'm sure he had more things he could have been doing, and we had a quiet drink on the terrace at midnight one night,coffee again on the terrace the next night. All with a big smile. The hotel was spotless,and our bed linen was lovely -the kind I have in my own home. We also liked that you were only admitted via intercom at the main door and that there was always someone on duty- it felt very secure.
We would definitely stay here again,and wouldnt hesitate to recommend it to anyone we know. The only people I would say it isnt suitable for is younger people who want to go out til the early hours then continue the party back at their hotel. And of course the lack of a lift would cause a problem for people with mobilty problems.
But for us - superb!!!!!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank karenb284
Pawleys Island, South Carolina
Reviewed 12 June 2010

We stayed at L'Antic Espai for three nights after our cruise ended in Barcelona. The hotel is conveniently located within easy walking distance of La Rambla, La Boqueria, and other city landmarks. We were in room 102, which is the room with the private little balcony overlooking the Gran Via. We enjoyed that balcony every evening--loved sitting out there with a glass of wine watching the people pass by, etc. The room and the hotel in general were clean and well-maintained.

The owners, Sergio and Able, are both very friendly and very helpful. They made reservations for our group from the cruise for dinner one night at Los Caracoles (excellent!) and the following night at El Tablao de Carmen (tapas & wine followed by a flamenco show that was simply amazing!)

We would certainly stay here again on a future visit in Barcelona.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple