“Charming Boutique Hotel With Superior Customer Service”

Hostal L' Antic Espai
Ranked #57 of 308 Barcelona B&B and Inns
San Diego, California
“Charming Boutique Hotel With Superior Customer Service”
Reviewed 24 June 2010

In August of 2009, I eagerly set out, along with six other girls, to explore the land of bullfighting, flamenco, olives, and paella. Our first stop on the journey was Barcelona. As such, our time there set the tone for the rest of our adventure. Largely due to the quality experience we had at Hotel L'Antic Espai, our Barcelona immersion was amazing, and we were set to have a great continued adventure.

From the Sangria greeting, to the antiques decorating each room, to the charming patio wherein guests can receive a deluxe breakfast to start each day, L'Antic Espai reeks of character. Comprised of only a handful of guest rooms, it also offers a quaint, intimate ambiance. Because of the small number of guests at any time, the owners and employees are able to provide guests with extensive one-on-one attention. One of the owners, Abel, gave us a restaurant recommendation that led to the best meal we had during our entire 3 weeks in Spain. He also sent us to an authentic Flamenco show we otherwise would not have chosen.

I arrived with 4 other girls and we were initially placed in two rooms. However, because one of the rooms was small, the owners gave us a third room on the house. This was an exceptionally rare and kind act of customer service that really made our stay more enjoyable. We felt very at home very quickly in our stay (probably too much at home!). Abel and others answered all of our questions and really just embraced our presence. We actually felt like they were our friends by the time we left.

The hotel is just a few blocks from many different things, including the metro. Yet, it is secluded enough that there is no noise and you don't feel overwhelmed by locals or tourists. Overall a great location.

Quality of experience is often about level and type of expectation. Thus, I think it's important to clarify that Hotel L'Antic Espai is not the W or the Four Seasons. Other than great atmosphere, fabulous pricing, and superb customer service, there are few amenities. It is a boutique hotel with a very interesting and unique feel. For me, that makes the place amazing. But for those looking for a cookie-cutter, upscale hotel this is not the place for you.

Note: There is no elevator. If you come armed with heavy luggage, beware: you will have to carry it up a long, winding staircase.

Overall, I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank RedSonya

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
  • Korean first
San Francisco
Reviewed 23 June 2010

As we approached the address the cab driver couldn't quite find the hotel and then I remembered reading on Trip Advisor that it is on the second floor so the entrance is not that noticeable. We were buzzed in and then I remembered reading on Trip Advisor that you need to walk up the first flight, (no elevator). About now I was keeping my fingers crossed that this wasn't a mistake. And it wasn't. We stayed in four cities during our mother-daughter trip and this hotel was hands down such a find. While the location was really perfection--very centrally located to the major sites and metro--the magic of this place is the ambiance and hospitality. The owners have invested in creating a little of oasis of beauty and serenity. There are about 10 rooms and the ones in the front have double paned windows to ensure a peaceful night sleep. Each room is appointed with lovely detail and antiques from around the world. I even loved the scent of the bath soap, which gives you the sense that every detail was considered. The rooms in the back, have access to a patio. Had the hotel been fully booked, we may not have known this, but because it wasn't, the owner invited to enjoy it and treated us to a bottle of champagne since I was celebrating a birthday. It was just lovely and while I will try other hotels in other cities we visited next time, I will try to return to Barcelona, just to stay there again!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 21 June 2010

My husband and I thoroughly enjoyed out 5 night stay in Barcelona at this lovely hotel. The owners were extremely warm and friendly and catered to our every need. They are also a great resource to avoid tourist traps and find nice restaurants. The place was lovely: very clean, beautifully decorated (though I would not recommend it for families with small children) as there are antiques everywhere! The simple breakfast was nice, the coffee was delish and always presented impecably. The location is great, we walked to all interesting sites. Overall, we would love to have the opportunity to visit Barcelona again and stay in the same place.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
Cadiz, Ohio
Reviewed 21 June 2010

I came here with my best friend (we are in our early twenties) and we had a wonderful time. I've never stayed at a place like this before. It is very personal and friendly.
There is a staff of 4 young guys and housekeepers. Everyone is extremely nice and helped us with anything we needed. They gave us advice on where to go and not to go, and helped us with cultural differences and language. The boys are also from different areas in the world, they had alot of interesting things to tell us.
This place is quiet and has beautiful, unique pieces in every room. They offer free breakfast, and we got to eat on the terrace which is so pretty and nice. We had toast and jam and hot chocolate, which was different than what we are used to, but very yummy.
Our room (101) faced the street, and I was amazed at how quiet it was, because we had a balcony and a big door, but no noise came through from the cars and the action. Everything was clean and functional of course. The rooms are not as big as many U.S. hotel rooms, but that was no problem for us, it was definitely comfortable.
Also, people who have problem climbing stairs, there are 25 steps to get to the hotel. It isn't far, but if you have bad knees, be careful.
The surrounding area is pretty safe, we had no problems at all. There are lots of small grocery stores and restaurants. We went out dancing one night. That was a different experience. The clubs didn't really open till 2am, so keep that in mind.
They let us use their internet for free. They were having some issues with their internet company, if you are absolutely dependent on internet, be cautious. But we were just updating family on our adventure, and not being charged was a major plus.
It's centrally located, we were in between Gaudi and the beach and Las Ramblas.
I would definitely recommend this hotel, we stayed for 3 or 4 nights I think, and we had a great time.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with friends
New York City, New York
Reviewed 20 June 2010

As a single woman traveler I was looking for a smaller hotel that I would not feel like just another number -- and L'Antic Espai met all my expectations.

During my four night stay -- I felt that someone was always looking out for my best interest/comfort - from having coffee and breakfast offered to me when I arrived -- even when it was past breakfast time- to help/comfort with a small personal matter. Also good dinning recommendations and great general knowledge of Barcelona (which I fell in love with)

Don't be put off by outside of building (it looks like a plain office/residential building). If possible ask for a room with access to the terrace - the rooms are bigger and eating breakfast on the terrace is divine. The bed was really comfortable and the rooms and bathrooms are kept very clean---
The location is really great - as you can walk to a lot of sights/metro - but away from a lot of the city noises.

Some minor issues -- It's a small b &b - some don't expect fancy ammenities - there is one computer for guest use/ towels are not big & fluffy and small TVs - Also, the rooms are pretty close to one another so you might hear noises from other rooms/common rooms.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled solo
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 19 June 2010

Beautifully decorated boutique hotel. My room faced onto a central service shaft, so was quite dark, but the room itself was extremely comfortable and blissfully quiet - had the best sleep I'd had in weeks the two nights I stayed. In a good location, short walk from Las Ramblas and easy access to the subway, buses, restaurants and everything you need. Very friendly staff, overall a great place to stay.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled solo
St Petersburg
Reviewed 18 June 2010

The hotel is located only a few minutes' walk away from Placa de Catalunya, Barcelona's central square, so many sights, including the famous La Rambla, are easily within walking distance from it. I had a difficulty finding it when I arrived, though - it appeared that this small hotel was on the second floor of an apartment building, and its sign is not very easy to find unless you know what you are looking for. In addition, the building has no elevator, so I had to drag my bag upstairs because a roommaid was the only person present there when I arrived.

My single room was small but air-conditioned and very cozy, full of antique-looking furniture. The wardrobe door cracked when opened or closed, but somehow did not feel this sound irritating because it looked so antique that you hardly expected it to open noiselessly. The elegant desk was a real period piece, with some old china decorating it. On the whole, the hotel definitely has an atmosphere - it is packed with antique furniture, china and chandeliers.

The bathroom with a shower was quite a good size, but the toilet was too close to the shower cabin, so if I was taller and my legs were an inch longer, I might have had a problem fitting them into this small space.

Breakfast is not included, but you can have it for an extra charge, and they will serve it either in the sitting room or on the veranda at any time you want to have it. I only had it on one day, and it was very good and served by the owner of the hotel.

The owners are very helpful - they gave me some useful advice on how to see the most of Barcelona in the time that I had, and how to take some safety precautions in public places. On the day of my departure, after I checked out, I store my bag at the owner's desk as my flight was later in the evening. The owner helped me carry my bag downstairs and wished me to have a good trip back home, which was another nice touch.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled on business