In August of 2009, I eagerly set out, along with six other girls, to explore the land of bullfighting, flamenco, olives, and paella. Our first stop on the journey was Barcelona. As such, our time there set the tone for the rest of our adventure. Largely due to the quality experience we had at Hotel L'Antic Espai, our Barcelona immersion was amazing, and we were set to have a great continued adventure.
From the Sangria greeting, to the antiques decorating each room, to the charming patio wherein guests can receive a deluxe breakfast to start each day, L'Antic Espai reeks of character. Comprised of only a handful of guest rooms, it also offers a quaint, intimate ambiance. Because of the small number of guests at any time, the owners and employees are able to provide guests with extensive one-on-one attention. One of the owners, Abel, gave us a restaurant recommendation that led to the best meal we had during our entire 3 weeks in Spain. He also sent us to an authentic Flamenco show we otherwise would not have chosen.
I arrived with 4 other girls and we were initially placed in two rooms. However, because one of the rooms was small, the owners gave us a third room on the house. This was an exceptionally rare and kind act of customer service that really made our stay more enjoyable. We felt very at home very quickly in our stay (probably too much at home!). Abel and others answered all of our questions and really just embraced our presence. We actually felt like they were our friends by the time we left.
The hotel is just a few blocks from many different things, including the metro. Yet, it is secluded enough that there is no noise and you don't feel overwhelmed by locals or tourists. Overall a great location.
Quality of experience is often about level and type of expectation. Thus, I think it's important to clarify that Hotel L'Antic Espai is not the W or the Four Seasons. Other than great atmosphere, fabulous pricing, and superb customer service, there are few amenities. It is a boutique hotel with a very interesting and unique feel. For me, that makes the place amazing. But for those looking for a cookie-cutter, upscale hotel this is not the place for you.
Note: There is no elevator. If you come armed with heavy luggage, beware: you will have to carry it up a long, winding staircase.
Overall, I would highly recommend this hotel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- L´Antic Espai arises after a dream of creating in Barcelona a special space with an old world charm. we create an place in which always, we wished to enjoy a pleasant stay and where you feel like in your own house. Our services and personalized treatment will make you to remember and miss us for ever in all trips you plan. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your Hostal L' Antic Espai reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hostal l` Antic Espai Hotel Barcelona
- Hostal L' Antic Espai Barcelona, Catalonia