Center Rambles Youth Hostel
US$217
US$256
US$226
  • Pool
All reviewsstag dobunk bedsfree breakfastground floornoise from the streetgood size
Reviewed 26 April 2013

So the big positive is the location, right off the Ramblas. Great location. Obviously, central Bacelona, watch your possessions, look out for pick pockets and steer clear of the insane (care in the community?) if they approach you!

Staff at the hostel are friendly and do their best to help. They are knowledgeable and happy to advise.

Room very basic and missing a couple of things (room 202) - 2 x 2 bunk beds, 4 lockers all 2 euro deposit but working. Door has no handle on the inside!! (Touch room key fob to frame near latch and then pull by grabbing the wood)... Windows look out into a sort of outside area which is surrounded by the other room windows. One of our windows would not lock shut but we were not ground floor and a shoe forced in place held it solid shut.

Shared bathroom ok, hot and cold water ok. Toilets ok (except for timed light, way too short timed light)

Hire a safe at reception for fifty euro deposit. Hire towels for 2euro, if they have any (7pm none, next morning they had some)

Stayed two nights. Bed was comfy enough, but we were all pretty drunk when it came to sleeping. It was a stag do.

Breakfast... Toast ok, butter ok, jam yuck! Cereal not sure, didn't try it. Muffin thing in wrapper, did not try it. Wifi worked ok mostly on ground floor but not in room.

Overall, 20 euro a night in central barca ... Probably you get what you pay for. A good laugh.

Room Tip: Not 202! That's all I can say.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 April 2013

I was hopeful about this place as the receptionist was friendly and there we some chatty people outside who assured me it was ok for the money. However it was horrific... Three groups of teenagers ran up and down screaming all night and setting off the fire alarms. When I told reception they shrugged and said its always like that lol. Also bed bugs left my back looking like a connect the dots with bulbous, itchy red bites everywhere. Also was a crazy Ukrainian in my room walking round in his pants mumbling about how the russians love to kill great britain. Altogether very disturbing!

Room Tip: All rooms are terrible.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Eddy M
Reviewed 14 August 2012 via mobile

Just got back from a weekend stag do where 18 of us stayed at this hostel. Slightly apprehensive after reading reviews but the location looked good. On arrival everything was fine. We all checked in no problem. The two rooms were basic with bunk beds and a locker each. The toilet and showers were shared but clean and working. Having never stayed in a Spanish hostel before I have little to compare it to but it was how I would expected it to be.

I never had breakfast or used the Internet but they were available.

Reception were fine with us staggering home late and being a bit noisy. But the rest of the hostel seemed quiet.

The location was perfect. 2 minute walk from the main street. Bars all over, metro close by. There were prostitutes in the street on a night but it was the same with all of the side streets.

In all I would certainly go back to this hostel. The price was nothing considering it's central location it was clean and very welcoming. It really helped me to enjoy my weekend in a fantastic city

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed 14 May 2012

Three large groups of 19 year old's from the Netherlands, England and somewhere else. SCREAMING and shouting their heads off ALL night long, no kidding!!!!!! OMG! They rattled doors, sang loudly going down the hallways and stairs, banging around the whole Barcelona Center Rambles IYHA hostel. The police should have been called, but apparently that is what goes on EVERY NIGHT. That location should NOT be part of the IYHA. We paid 153 Euros in advance, for three nights and they wouldn't refund any money at all!
First night May 8 2012. My husband and I (both 53 yrs.- not fussy campers) shared a four bed room with two girls. Fairly okay first night, didn't see any bed bugs. Frat house boys annoying but not crazy loud. Next morning we put tags on our beds to let any new people know that our beds, and USED SHEETS were taken, bunks 1 & 2. We came in at 11 pm May 9 2012, ready to go to bed and discovered a woman sleeping in my used sheets, in my bed, bunk 2! WTF? I had a label on my bed!
So the ineffective late night security guy gave us a different room. It must have just been heavily sprayed for bed bugs and cockroaches because the smell of diazenon (sp?) would knock you out. We tried to sleep but the Frat house crazy screaming shouting brats all around, ruined any chance of sleep. My calm, always level husband, completely 'lost it' and after adding to the high pitched shouting, we gathered all of our belongings and left the hostel at three in the morning! Prostitutes all around, drug dealers all over. We went to Hotel Moderna and paid 80 Euros for a room. Next morning, in the diningroom, we noticed cockroaches running around the floors and walls. Basically the out of control Frat house brats ruined a precious Barcelona day for us, since we had to find a hotel instead of checking out museums with our second day Barcelona pass. I recommend booking the Hotel Frontair Congress. They have a shuttle bus from El Prat terminals one and two. We paid 80 Euros a night, just for the room. Beside the hotel is a huge superstore and supermarket for everything you need, clothes, hats, cork screws, huge selection of cheeses salami bread etc. The bus L72 L78 are behind the hotel. Nice quiet hotel.

Room Tip: Do not waste your Barcelona time trying to find anything good in this location. Seriously, tired people from all over the world were really upset hearing the crazy screaming and shouting ALL night long! The place smells heavily of insecticide.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank floss3xwk
Reviewed 28 December 2011

My room smelled like an unclean bathroom (I mean it) - we had to sleep with the windows open in order to not be intoxicated by it! The bathroom itself smelled even worse and the showers didn't provide hot water (needless to say that they looked dirty...). Conditions are just TERRIBLE. Do yourself a favor and go somewhere else.

• Stayed: December 2011