“Really cheap hotel, really cheap quality too...”
Review of Hostal Mont-Thabor

Hostal Mont-Thabor
Ranked #561 of 732 Speciality Lodging in Barcelona
Reviewed 3 June 2014

We chose this hotel because of the price and of the location. The location was indeed really nice, on the Rambla, it was really nice to visit Barcelona.
But the room was really not what we expected. It was not in a really good shape, it was clean but damaged and all the furniture was old and of poor quality.
The shared bathroom was a catastrophe. The shower was about 1m², and not comfortable to use. To access it, you have to go between the toilet and the not-so-clean wall, and you really don't have much space to do so.
The people who run the hotel are not really nice too.
And even if the hotel is cheap, if you come with a car, you have to pay for a parking around. The hotel has an agreement with the closest parking lot, it makes it around 15 euros per day, but that is a budget you need to plan.

I would not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Hostal Mont-Thabor

Reviewed 16 May 2013

dirty hotel, not comfotable, very noisy, service quality very bad, personal very ghastly.. shun him !I would never suggest this Hotel to a friend, cause it's so dirty (blotches on the bed-linen, mattres and towels), the building and also the furnishing are very old, in the room you can hear everybody who speaks outside. For all this, the price is too high.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 April 2013

I had the pleasure of taking my girlfriend to Barcelona last week and staying at this wonderful hostel/hotel.
Everything started so well when I turned up to the hostel to find that they had upgraded us to a balcony room as it was girlfriends first visit.
We experienced great hospitality and generosity throughout our stay and even received some lovely olives as a gift.
many comments have been made about the location so I'll only echo the word "wow!!"
I fell even more in love with my girlfriend on this trip and can only thank the lads at the hotel for all their kindness and hospitality, cheers.
If you manage to get a balcony room just sit back with an ice cold Estrella and watch Las Ramblas roll by...
Many thanks x

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jonathan P
Reviewed 20 November 2012

Don't believe the pretty web pictures and reviews - this place is terrible!!!
Rather difficult to find as entrance is through a Souvenier store and the name P Hostal is prominant, not Mont Thabor (perhaps P Hostal went bancrupt). You have to lug your heavy suitcases up 2 flights of stairs only to find a tiny reception desk, manned by a rather strange man who had very little knowledge of pulic transport options or surrounds.Incedentially, he sleeps on the couch outside your room and serves gusts checking out in the morning in his pygamas!!!!!!
The room is minute, the cupboard only had 2 hangers in it. The bathroom towles were stained and threadbare and a dirty grey (they must have been white many years ago). There was 1/2 roll of toilet paper for the 3 days, no bathplug, no soap, no glasses. The room was also never cleaned in the 3 days we sayed there. The bedside lamp didn't work and the glass door onto the balcony was cracked. There were live electrical wires on the balcony. The room was extremely noisy from the pubs and resaurants in the street below. Only good point is it's close to Liceau Metro stop, bus no 59 stops outside and Taxi rank is just up the street. Close to all the sights and many Tapas Bars & Restaurants in Las Ramblas

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sandy v
Hostal_Mont_Thabor, Manager at Hostal Mont-Thabor, responded to this reviewResponded 6 March 2013

I and our team is extremely that you did not have a pleasant experience. But i would like to comment on some things you mentioned :

- All "Hostels" in city center of Barcelona have a similar entrance due to lack of space. I wish it was better too.
- The name of the hostel is "Hostal Mont Thabor", it says that on the entrance and the balcony. "P" stands for pension in spanish, which means a hostel.
- A bigger room size is hard to find in a hostel.
- A third-party company does our laundry service. Yes, there was a time when the did not send good quality towels and we have already complained about it. We apologize for that.
- Room is cleaned everyday.

Reviewed 25 July 2012

Hostal Mont-Thabor is very different from the photos that we saw online - the room was dirty, the sheets were full of hairs, the towels were full of blood stains - the reception was really dirty with members of the hostal staff eating and cutting fruit directly to the floor.
Despite this description, what was really terrible was that we informed the hostal we intend to leave one day earlier as we couldn't stand the room in those conditions, and the answer was that it was ok and that we shouldn't be worried about it. When I checked my bank account I realized that the hostal charged the full amount of money, using my credit card data, despite we left earlier, before the checkout hour. When I called to ask for the refund, they told me they wouldn't refund me and simply hung the phone on me.
I seriously advice you not to give your credit card data if, after you read this description, you still intend to book this hostel but I advise you to keep away.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Sara p

I apologize that you did not have a good experience with your stay here. But the only thing i would like to comment is that even if you had informed us that you wanted to cancel the second night at the time of check-in, we would have refunded your money for the second night. But you informed us about the cancelation later at night and you left early morning. ALSO, PLEASE NOTE THAT BOTH NIGHTS WERE PAID AT THE TIME OF CHECK-IN, WE DID NOT CHARGE YOUR CREDIT CARD AFTER YOUR CHECK-OUT.

Reviewed 9 July 2012

I was in March in Mont Thabor.
I lost many times the way to the hostel,because The entrance is hided by a souvenir shop.
The stuff is okay. They didnt gave us any raccomandations about the city ,... like where to eat & co.
The room that we had was very small , but cosy with a small sweet balkony on the back of the street.
We had also a private ensuite toilet.
What we hate the most was, that the mattress in the bed was so old that we really felt all the metal things inside.
The location is very nice. We are directly at the las ramblas .

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 June 2012

Firstly, this hotel is in a fantastic location! It's right in the centre of Barcelona, in the centre of La Rambla, the main street of Barcelona. It's within walking distance to all parts of the city, and for attractions outside the city the Metro is a few steps from the door.

We stayed in two different "superior double rooms" during our stay, both of which are on the first floor adjacent to reception. Both rooms had some concerning issues; the first had a giant crack through the entire balcony door, and some serious-looking water damage on one wall. The next day one of the owners randomnly offered for us to move into a slighty larger superior double room, so we did. In this one, the toilet cistern leaked everytime the toilet flushed, severely enough that we had to place a towel down. We notified the owner, but nothing was done about this during our seven-night stay, and I don't think anything will be after we have left, either.

The beds in both rooms were the most uncomfortable I have ever encountered! The springs in the mattresses are sticking out everywhere, so it feels like you are sleeping on rocks. We asked for another blanket and slept on top of that to buffer the springs, and it worked okay, but still was not a very comfortable sleep.

Unfortunately, it also seems that the free WiFi won't work in any of the rooms because the walls are made of such thick concrete; you have to sit in the reception area to use it.

This hotel could easily have achieved a three- or even four-star rating if it was just maintained, but unfortunately I don't think the owners care at all. Despite all this, the room rate was not particularly cheap, so before booking this hotel I would search for others in the same area (there were heaps) and try to find better value for money.Hostal mont

Room Tip: If you do stay here, you WILL need earplugs to sleep. There were lots of random, very loud noises co...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple