“Posh and Tatty”

GreenLeadersGold level
houghton regis
“Posh and Tatty”
Reviewed 14 June 2012

Stayed four nights in deluxe room which had a great view ,air con was working but was either to cold or to hot even after adjustment,electric socket behind the glass bedroom door was coming away from the wall,deep scratches on wood surround around door area,food stains on sofa,water leaked from shower into toilet area and dangerous step out shower onto tiles which had no slip mat which I nearly slipped over.
Breakfast was 25 Euro each !which we declined on and used bar and supermarket behind the big electric retail shop( on right of the hotel as come out)/ between big apartment blocks.
Metro unlimited travel including buses/tram 24 Euro each for four days which was five minute walk.
We could have complained but we just wanted to see Barcelona.
5 star prices for a 3 star room.

Room Tip: If you get offered upgrade room with spa and gym for 40 Euro per night will you have time to use it...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
, Manager at NH Collection Barcelona Tower, responded to this review, 22 June 2012
Dear Guest,

First of all I would like to thank you for taking your time to comment on our Hotel and the services rendered. We highly value your opinion for process of continuous improvement and as a base for making our guests stay more enjoyable every time.

We are very sorry to know that some aspects regarding your room and services of the Hotel were not to your total satisfaction. You can be assured that We are personally following up on these issues, in order to enhance the quality of our rooms and facilities.

Regarding your comments about the prices for breakfast, I can assure you that they are in accordance with other 5 star Hotels in Barcelona (Full Breakfast buffet with wide variety of choices). However, we will review our price lists and make any necessary adjustments.

At the Hotel Hesperia Tower & Fira Suites our aim is to exceed the expectations of our guests, and we deeply regret when we do not fully achieve this.

Yours Sincerely,

The Management,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (262)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Houston, TX
Reviewed 10 June 2012

We stayed here for a business congress (and will return next year for the same congress)

I can't whine (like others) about the location being outside of Barcelona's tourist areas because we came for biz (and some fun of course!) and knew what to expect. Besides, taxi's were plentiful at the hotel and there is a subway station paces away that takes you right into central Barcelona at the foot of Las Ramblas. Make no mistake this is a sterile, business hotel of which clones can be foud anywhere in the world. There were no surprises, even service, clean rooms, the staff are all very well trained, courteous and do an excellent job of representing their employer from the lowest level to the senior staff, etc.

On the plus side, we scheduled a business entertainment dinner at the nicer restaurant on top of the hotel (which had a great view BTW) and the service and food was outstanding. Our clients were all raving about the presentations and the taste of the food choices. In addition,the restaurant managers choices of moderately priced (which our event manager requested) but excellent quality Spanish wines were very good. A fact noted by one of our clients who is a bit of a wine snob.

On the negative side, my assistant had written the hotel manager to see if he would give me a complimentary room upgrade since my group took a number of rooms for several days. I got the upgrade (but had to pay 90 euros extra per night) and the manager wrote my assistant back crowing how I scored an upgrade....huh? They also did the same thing to a V.P. in my company (who was led to believe it was complimentary....until he checked out). In addition, I was going to stay a few extra days for touring in Barce and wanted to check out to move to a more location friendly hotel in central Barcelona....when I went to check out they said no can do because your reservation had been confirmed for an extra 4 days and they wouldn't let me out of it. After all the money we spent I thought it was a bush league call but had no choice but to stay for the duration. This kind of soured the total experience and because of this I will limit our groups stay next year to the bare minimum of days in order not to have this experience again. Their loss, not mine.

Would I stay there again? Yes, but with limitations. Nice business hotel, you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank TriStarGES
Surrey
Reviewed 10 June 2012

Sadly, the hotel couldn't accommodate the no smoking request made when booking, they offered to change it the following day, but that lost its momentum somewhere along the line.
The bar on the ground floor was a nice place to relax and the bar staff were very obliging. Requested ice one afternoon from room service was shocked to be told it would be €5 for the privilege, that was later resolved, but obviously alarmed me in the extreme.
Room service was good. It was extremely frustrating though that every call made from the room, they asked what room number.
There was no turn down service as far as I could see, but the automated curtains made up for that in part.
There was some banging and crashing going on outside the room, never really saw what it was. All in all though a good hotel, and not too far from the centre of town..

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank Fifitrixy
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 June 2012

Just returned from a Barcelona break and with plenty of good things to say about this hotel.
In every bit of publicity, it is quite clear that the hotel is out of town, so anyone who chicks a moody about its location is either illiterate, careless, or can't spot a metro station a few metres away from the hotel which sends air cooled trains into town.

You don't need a maths degree to operate the lifts, you just need to have a sense of humour and realise that if some oddball designer wants things this way, why not just go with the flow.

Me? I loved the shower and did not feel at all cheated by us getting a room on the tenth floor rather than hogher up. It is a hotel room for heaven's sake and just how many times can you ooh and aah at the view from the window anyway?

We rather enjoyed the breakfast and if treated as a main meal of the day, it is reasonably priced, including beautiful fresh fruit, cooked options and enough variety to ple;liease even the fussiest of eaters.

We found the staff at the hotel, without exception, to be courteous and helpful, often the case when you treat people as human beings, rather than believing that because you are in a five star , you are superior to those who are just doing their job.

The bathroom was as funky as they come and when it gets the thumbs up from Mister Froggie's good lady...you know it must be good.

We didn't use the shuttle, nearby spa facilities, or have dinner in the hotel. This said, everything about the hotel was very good and if you are lucky enough to get a room for the price we paid for it.....even better!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank misterfroggie
Australia
Reviewed 8 June 2012

This hotel was adequate, just. Do not delude yourself for a minute that this is a five star hotel, even if – as I did – you get it for a good price on Priceline or some other similar site and it is listed as five star. I won’t repeat what others have said about the location, it wasn’t a problem for us, we caught a taxi and once caught the shuttle. Even a taxi is only 12 Euros, which split between two was not a huge amount to pay, compared with the price of hotels in the centre of town you are certainly in front in terms of money. So the main, probably the only, benefit of staying here is that it will save you money.

The main gripes I have are that the pillows are the strangest I have ever seen and I sleep in a lot of hotels. On the bed is a long skinny pillow with very little stuffing, and in the cupboard are two European style square pillows. Since I like a normal (in our part of the world) rectangular pillow, preferably of the feather variety, I phoned and asked for two feather pillows. What I got was two, what they called, cervical pillows. This is a rectangular pillow – not feather – that has no filling in the middle (see photo I will try to attach). So now I had three strange pillows, none of which were conducive to sleep. The bed was like a board of masonite and creaked as though it had seen quite a bit of trauma over the years. Thus a comfortable nights’ sleep was not to be had. Nevertheless I did sleep, mainly due to the large amount of walking we did each day in Barcelona, but I would not go back to the Hesperia based purely on the quality of the bedding.

The rest of the room was fine, and the shower was really good. As others have mentioned, the hotel takes every available opportunity to price gouge you. I rang and asked for some ice to the room, and was told there would be a 5 Euro charge. Five star hotel indeed! It took half an hour and four phone calls to get a porter with a trolley when we needed to check out. Also not great when you have a flight to catch, but otherwise checkout was trouble free. We didn’t eat at the hotel due to the high cost, so my advice if you have already booked this hotel is to buy something in town before you return for the night, as others have advised.

Another incident that is NOT the fault of the hotel but which is worthwhile knowing about is that I saw a drive by robbery out of a car just at the entrance to the hotel, a woman’s bag was snatched. The warnings about robbery in Barcelona are real, so be careful when you are unloading to go into the hotel.

So again, in summary for the price this hotel is adequate. I wish I had stayed in the 1898 where we were for the first two nights but you take a gamble on Priceline – sometimes you win, sometimes you lose and it is true that the cost was a third of the 1898.

Room Tip: They say the higher rooms are better, but if you want a twin bedded room you aren't going to get...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 7 June 2012

This hotel can be considered a great deal (price-wise) if you have to take a flight. It is only 10 mins away from the airport and it has a free shuttle. Be aware that if your flight is earlier than 8am, this will not work since their earlier shuttle is at 8am.
It is not close to downtown but it has a free shuttle to Plaza Catalunya every hour or so. This shuttle fills up quickly, so try to be 15 mins before the shuttle's departure. There is Metro station just 5 mins away. Buy the T10 (which is a pack of 10 Metro passes) if you are planning the take the metro more than 5 time. This pass can be shared between anyone and it is only 9.50 Euros. You can buy it at any Metro station.
The Hotel is a beautiful and modern hotel and the rooms are stunning, definitely a 5 star standard. This hotel would be too far if you are planning to be a tourist in Barcelona for a period longer than 2 days.

Room Tip: Try to take advantage of the views and pick a room facing the Sagrada Familia.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
7 Thank Alexander013
San Francisco
Reviewed 2 June 2012

I had stayed here once before and loved it, so I booked a junior suite when I needed to overnight near Barcelona airport. It is close, but with all the taxi surcharges, not much cheaper than going into the city. The first room they put me into was a smoking room that reeked of smoke and the perfume they use to try and get rid of the smell--but it was huge. The second room, the 24th floor, was HOT--and I mean hot and did not cool down. The hallways and elevators in the hotel were also hot--and this on a day that Barcelona was warm, but certainly not hot. When I moved rooms, and for that matter, when I checked in, no offer to help with the luggage. So I would rate the service as so-so at best. As for the room, other than the temperature and the fact that the carpets and upholstery a little worn, it was large and quiet. Much worse experience than my last visit. The hotel seems to have air conditioning issues and needs to address them.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business