“A great option for a cheap room in the middle of the action”
Review of Solyk Guest House

Solyk Guest House
Ranked #119 of 735 Speciality Lodging in Barcelona
Reviewed 5 April 2012

We stayed at Solyk over New Years' in 2011. We liked the funky design, amazing service from staff, and above all, location location location.....

We didn't mind that much not having an en-suite, but could have done with having a bigger towel. The one we were given was more of a hand towel.

The biggest drawback though was the noise coming in from the street and hallways in the property. It really disrupted our sleep.

So, I would definitely recommend this place if you want to be in the middle of the action and visit Barcelona in a quiet period, or if you're a heavy sleeper. If on the other hand you do need your beauty sleep, you may as well fork out a bit more and go for a quieter room somewhere else.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 13 January 2012

I've stayed at the SolyK 4 times now over the last several years and its hard to imagine booking another hotel in Barcelona. Perfect location, attractive, clean rooms, extra helpful hosts and staff. Like all places in the BG you will get some street noise, but nothing decent ear-plugs can't deal with. Totally recommended.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ElgueroSinFe
Reviewed 6 January 2012

I stayed here during a five-day trip to Barcelona. It was the perfect base from which to explore the city -- comfortable and warm (I was there in December), very friendly staff with helpful recommendations, and a great central location in Barri Gotic, close to La Rambla, Pl Catalunya (for catching the bus or Metro), Barcelona Cathedral, restaurants and tapas bars, and a tourism office offering tickets and tours. Both my traveling companion and I were extremely happy with our rooms. They were clean and nicely designed, with comfortable beds, spotless bathrooms, and attractive balconies. The building was secure, and the other guests were quiet. There was some street noise at night, but I didn't find it too bothersome, even on New Year's Eve (if you're a light sleeper, bring earplugs). For its very reasonable price, this place can't be beat.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 December 2011

This is a very clean, artful, modern hostal. Super location, as already mentioned by others. Yes, the street noise can be disturbing. My room was on the back side, but still noisy, the sound comes up from the back alley off Avinyó. Nothing that an ordinary pair of earplugs can't handle, though, and if **I** can sleep here (light sleeper), anybody can! The laundry detergent they use smells like heaven to me, BUT, if you have environmental allergies, the fragrance might not agree with you. This has been my home-away-from-home for repeated visits, and hopefully many more to come. Very friendly, helpful staff. Can't say enough good things.

Room Tip: I think front side has balconies.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 August 2011

Stayed here with a group of friends after first visiting 4 years ago.
The location is great. Right in the middle of Bari Gotic, close to Ramblas, Placa Reial, walking distance to shopping near Pl Catalunya, bars and restaurants in Eixample, and beaches in Barcelonetta and beyond.
Appartment was very clean, very funky design, quite simple with no tvs, but I wasnt going to spend time indoors watching tv. I would agree that it could sometimes be noisy, but think this is going to be the same as every single street in Barcelona. The street outside is very quiet with no cars, but because of the City Barcelona is, theres often late night revelers to disturb you. (Fortunately I was one of the latest late night revellers, so never got too bothered). The owner Philippe was very friendly, and accomodating, (allowing late check out as our flight wasnt until 9pm)and all the other staff were lovely. The cleaners gave me a hug when I left (which was a surprise).
Definitely would recommend and return there next time.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 July 2011

We were greeted late in the evening by a lovely woman (cannot remember her name!) who showed us to our rooms, gave us a tour of the facilities and how things worked and then gave us a map with tips on best places to eat, what to see, where to go on the beach and historical places to visit. Our room was in the corner and nicely furnished. Our balcony overlooked the front of the guest house and street and we had a lovely view. The shared toilets and showers were clean and private. We never had to queue for either a toilet or shower and never felt rushed when using either. We actually only saw another guest twice during our 3 night stay. The facilities were quiet (no partying going on inside) and the noise from the street was minimal. It did not affect our sleep or stay. We loved the closeness to the beach, shopping and historical areas. We took the metro a few times and that was very easy to use. We arrived via bus from the airport and then just walked down to the hotel. Everything was in close proximity or easy to reach by metro. I would go back and stay at Sol y K again and again. It was really a wonderful experience and a great starting place to explore this beautiful city.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 June 2011

This is the first review I have ever written, not just on TA but ever, about anything, but following our trip to Barcelona at Easter, I felt I had to leave feedback about Hostal Sol Y K.

Me and my boyfriend had a 5 night stay here, and we cannot fault it. Everything was perfect. We were dubious about staying in the Gothic Qtr after hearing reviews about pick pocketers and gangs on streets, but we had no problems during our stay.

We had a private double room with private bathroom on the top floor, the whole floor was extremely clean, the cleaners came in EVERY day. We had a private balcony which was lovely for the evenings, we had tea and coffee making facilities for the morning, along with a fridge and basic cutlery/glasses. Phillipe (the owner) was lovely, he greeted us with a map and advice on the best eats, the bars, what to do, how to do it, and whats worth a visit. He booked our tickets for the Sagrada Familia to save us the queue and additional costs.

The location was perfect, very central to everything, great eating places and bars and what I think is the best area of Barcelona to stay. Definitely stay again!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple