“Room (without) a view.”

Ranked #104 of 513 Hotels in Barcelona
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Room (without) a view.”
Reviewed 21 October 2013

This was a late booking for a work-based trip and #I was amazed to even get a hotel in Barca during VMWorld week.

There are at least three Petit Palace hotels in the city, so make sure you tell your driver which one. I ended up doing a 15 minute search at 10#:30 at night to find my Museum version.

Reception were wonderful, no hassle at all and I was booked in and sent on my way with no problem. Reception decor was as good as you'd expect.

The room was pretty standard 'boutiquey' for the current trend. Clean with all the usual trimmings. Odd that I had a laptop but no tea/coffee stuff. Well appointed wet room with a large shower stall and reasonable toiletries. TV was cool but as I was hardly in the room remained unwatched except for news and weather.

Breakfast was ok but a bit 'production line'. It's Spain, so the coffee had a life of its own.

All in all it was a good experience, the staff were helpful and friendly. Definitely worth considering for a holiday/tourist break as the hotel is fairly central and most of the 'good stuff' is in walking distance or a short cab ride away.

On the negative side, rear rooms have a nice view of a wall!

Room Tip: Rear rooms are bereft of any view, front rooms are noisier.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
kent
Reviewed 14 October 2013 via mobile

We spent a weekend here in October. The location of the hotel is great, very central for all of Barcelona. Some great bars, restaurants & metro all within walking distance.
We did not eat in the hotel so unable to pass comment on this aspect.
The staff were professional.
I did find both the public area & room quite dark, and the bedroom furniture basic, this of course my personal opinion.
All in all a good base for a city centre hotel.

• Stayed October 2013
Ana S, Gerente at Petit Palace Museum Hotel, responded to this review, 14 November 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your feedback. We are pleased to know that we met your expectations and that our location.

We regret, however, that certain details were not entirely to your liking. With this in mind we would like to inform you that we take note of each and every guest´s observations/ complaints/ suggestions/comments always with the aim of improving.

Gujarat
Reviewed 14 October 2013

The hotel is centrally located. Very near all the tourist areas. The staff is very friendly.The view from the rooms is nothing much. Having said that the rooms are very clean and apper quite spacious. The breakfast room is in the basement and the service for such a hotel is acceptable.

Room Tip: All rooms are more or less same.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear guest,

Thank you for your very complimentary review of High Tech Hotels. We are glad to hear you have enjoyed our rooms and services.
I look forward to meeting you upon your return.

Kindest regards.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 11 October 2013

I'll preface this by saying I've travelled all over the world.

This is truly a slam hole.

The carpets throughout the hotel are more stained than not and the entire place smells like a chicken pen with a heavy serving of dirty socks (excluding the lobby). Our room had stains of all colors all over the walls, carpets, and furniture. "420" was written clearly on the wall and not removed. A full circle cigarette burn in the cloth headboard was covered up by a pillow. The sink pipes leaked heavily all over the bathroom floor when in use. Stains in the bath tubs and a coin sized hole in the bathroom floor were just a few of the highlights of my second room (including the smells and stains), which I requested after the first room exhibited the aforementioned shortcomings.

I brought the manager up to the room to show her all of the filth and she asked me to leave after I demanded a refund (which I did get). As we were leaving we happened to witness the cleaning staff cleaning a room. She had a large spray bottle full of scented spray in which she was spraying all over the room. Hilarious, yet sadly pathetic. The only things that would help this place is pack of matches and large drum of gasoline.

*Be aware that there is a Petit Palace Barcelona as well* which we toured and it is the same filth hole dump that the Petit Palace Museum is (our travel agent tried to relocate us there after the described incident).

We were able to find another hotel, Hotel Roger de Lluria, which is directly across the street from the Petit Palace Barcelona and quite nice for a reasonable price of 200 Euros/night. Furthermore, there is not a shortage of fine hotels in Barcelona. After our experience, we noticed plenty of nice places to stay.

Room Tip: Hotel Roger De Lluria. Great staff, nice rooms, great location.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TravelsAlot2103

Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed 8 October 2013

The hotel itself was of very poor quality- the room we were given was dingy, a little bit messy with very furniture in poor condition. Everytime we took a shower the whole bathroom floor flooded and water went all the way to the room carpeting. We asked the staff to fix this several times over the time we stayed (3 nights) and all they did was dry the floor, not fix the problem. Everything in the hotel was a bit dingy and it felt like they tried to put effort in to the decor but ran out of money. I was not impressed by this hotel at all, and what disappointed me the most was the level of service (or rather, the lack of it).

The location on the other hand, is absolutely great. It's within a walking distance from almost all the sights, the rambla and the beach. Shopping and fine dining is just around the corner, just like the best tapas places in Barcelona.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family

Baltimore, MD
Reviewed 4 September 2013

I had some mixed feelings about this hotel but ultimately give it a 4 because it's in a fancy location. The best part of this hotel is the location -- at the top of Las Ramblas with easy access to metro stops, shops, and restaurants. I found the price to be high but when comparing it to other hotels in the area that are near metros, it is a reasonable rate. I was there for 3 nights for the end of my honeymoon and if I could have done it differently, I probably would have spent more to stay somewhere a little nicer. The room was very small. We did get a king bed but the desk/chair was bumped up against the bed, making it very uncomfortable to walk around and use the room as a living space. But it is Barcelona so who needs to be hanging out in the hotel except to research the great places to visit? Speaking of research, the wifi in the room was very spotty. It was convenient to have a laptop in the room but we had trouble with the wifi on both the laptop and our phones.

The front desk staff seemed helpful. As others have mentioned, the lobby was kind of dark and dreary. When I read that researching the hotel, I brushed it off thinking that the people saying that were nitpicking. However, it did leave a lasting impression with me, and not a good one. The lobby was very dark and smelled of some awful perfume every day. The bar was depressing -- a couple bottles of wine on a small bar with an invisible bartender (my guess is the front desk staff go over there if someone decides to get a drink?) Also an invisible piano player and some odd decor choices throughout. The bathroom had a weird "modern" yellow light which made for difficult makeup application.

The best things about the hotel: Location (although please don't be fooled into going to the tourist trap restaurants nearby and just head further downtown) and Shower. Wow, the shower was great. Wash cloths would have made it better but I did love the rain shower and massage jets. That was a nice surprise. Just don't look up at the moldy ceiling :( I know, it's expensive to run a hotel. It was pretty clean overall...

Oh, and we ate breakfast at Pans & Co. every single morning. It's right next door and cheaper than whatever breakfast was in the hotel. Save money for nicer dinners!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank tcelline
Dear Guest,
We would like to thank you for taking the time to send us your comment about your stay in our hotel.
It is very nice to hear that you were here before and that you will come back. I am glad to read that you were happy with our rooms and our services.
Hope to see you again very soon.
Kind regards.