“not so chic”

Chic & Basic Tallers
Ranked #264 of 722 Speciality Lodging in Barcelona
“not so chic”
Reviewed 23 July 2013

I stayed in a single room that was tiny. I could hardly sit down on the toilet cause my knees banged into the opposite wall. Sure it was pretty cheap but it wasn't worth it, I wouldn't recommend staying here. The staff was really nice and helpful though.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Madrid, Spain
Reviewed 24 June 2013

Awful place, don't go!!!
I paid for the most expensive room hoping for confort. The bathroom was minimum, had a dirty shower curtain and towels looked all dirty. We had cockroaches and they said they came from the street. Breakfast is really basic.
I believe there are better places in Barcelona for the same rate ir less!

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank chicawonderful
cbtallers, Director de Recepción at Chic & Basic Tallers, responded to this review, 17 July 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your feedback. We would like to answer and clarify some of your remarks in order to make sure we provide the best quality of service and accommodation in our hostal.

In kind response to your comments, our rooms have different sizes: medium (9m2), large (11m2) and extra-large (13m2) with a balcony. We have installed in all our rooms private showers in order to offer better service and therefore the guest does not need to share. Only two rooms in our property have shower curtains due to the lay out and these curtains have been replaced by new ones and we will keep track of it.

Regarding the towels, we provide now new towels from an extrernal company in order to guarantee better quality and service and we have been receiving very positive comments.

Breakfast is based on a self-service concept and the area is open 24 hours for our guests to make the most out of this service along reading a magazine or listening to our music playlists. We provide all necessary products including cheese, ham, turkey, bread, jam, butter, croissants, juices, cereals, biscuits, yogurts, milk, honey, hot drinks like tea and chocolate and coffee (with an espresso coffee machine).

Regarding insects, we have a control-insect service that they review the building periodically and if there is a case we make sure to solve it straight away.

Again, thank you for your feedback and we hope we see you again in the near future.

Chic&Basic Hostal Management

Travellers are raving about these Barcelona hotels

Perth, Australia
Reviewed 25 May 2013

This place is not very chic and its very basic. The bathroom is so small I could not extend my arms in any direction. The location is handy to all sights but very noisy until all hours if you get a room on the streetside. Only positive were the friendly and helpful staff. It is overpriced for what you get.

Room Tip: Go somewhere wlse.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Leanne D
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 24 May 2013

The plus :
- Clean enough for me (im very fussy to the cleanliness of a place)
- Location, many small cafes/restaurants nearby. Its also 5mins walk to Las Ramblas shopping
area, 8mins walk from/to airport bus stop, 20mins walk to harbour area.
- 24hours self service 'breakfast'. You can have breakfast anytime you like. We really love this
idea because we're not 'an early bird' who always can meet 8-10am breakfast time. All food
(ham, cheese. jam, butter,etc) and drinks (water, juice) are all provided in the fridge. There are
toast makers, sandwich toaster, electric kettle, koffie machines, bread, tea, koffie, sugar,
cookies in the kitchen. You can make everything by yourself.
- 24hours one computer with internet access.
- After checking out, we forgot that we must check in online for our next flight. So we walked
back to the BB. The BB staff was kind enough to let us borrow the internet and let us print our
boarding pass there.

The minus :
- The bathroom is very very small, it reminds me of bathroom in a boat. Because of this we cut
short our stay from 9 nights to 4 nights. We moved to other BB.
- We stayed in XL room which is actually still a small room. For the price we paid / night, its
considered expensive because we found other BB with clean & spacey room just by adding a
few more Euros.
- Its quite noisy in the evening if you stayed in a room nearby street.

Room Tip: Choose XL room
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Cervo, Italia
Reviewed 2 May 2013 via mobile

The only plus is the address, next to the university. All the rest is to discard. The badly lit street entrance, with broken steps and graffiti, is a forewarning. Cramped, noisy room, soviet decor, shower room so small it's hard to stand in it. Cracked, rusty paint. Worst of all is the value - abysmal.

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank opossumd
Reston, Virginia
Reviewed 21 February 2013

My 25 year-old daughter and I visited Barcelona for the first time. We came to visit another of my daughters who is studying here for semester. We stayed for 9 nights, and found Chic & Basic just adorable. It is not for you if you are looking for a cookie cutter American style hotel or 4 star hotel. It is a small hotel/hostel, in the old part of Barcelona, short minutes from the Rambla, the gothic area and the Born. The bus and Metro systems are excellent in Barcelona, so if you would rather not walk everywhere, or want to go farther than walking distance, those are other options. Metro is very close. We only rode the bus from the airport to the hotel. Carrer de Tallers is a short walk from Placa de Catalunya.

About Chic & Basic Tallers - We rented a 'large' room, which is not large by American standards, but more than adequate. We came to Barcelona to see the city, not to spend all our time in our room. I had read that the beds were uncomfortable, but I like a firm (not hard) bed and the bed is firm and comfortable. The bed is actually two twins pushed together, so you hav a large, king-size bed. The room has a private toilet/shower/sink area within the room, but, again, not like you would find in in an American hotel or motel. Our room opened to the back courtyard, so noise was not an issue. It is not the best view, but, again, we did not come here to sit in our room!
Food is provided and available 24 hours a day. The rate includes "breakfast". I expected coffee and tea and a croissant or Danish. The "breakfast" is quite a bit more - Spanish sweet crackers, hot or cold cereal, croissants, fruit, juice, yogurt, bread, jelly, ham, cheese, butter, sandwich condiments, bottled water, tea, coffee, espresso and coffee. There is a toaster available. Additionally, you can store your own food in the communal refrigerator (leftovers or other small amounts of food) - and reheat in the available microwave.
Wifi is available in the communal area. They do not guarantee wifi in the rooms. We had no problem using wifi in our room. Wifi was slow compared to my private system at home, but, I do not often use public wifi. Wifi is comparable to the speed I have found in hotels stateside.
The staff is outstanding! I cannot give them high enough praise. They all speak excellent English. Our flight arrived at midnight, so I sent an e-mail right after I made my reservations. They replied promptly, saying that it would not be a problem, the security guard would give us our key and we could take care of the bill during normal business hours. Being a worrier, I reconfirmed via e-mail the two business days before our arrival. Again, I received a prompt, courteous, friendly reply, reassuring me that all was well. I wandered the old city alone at times. I found stores I wanted to re-visit with my daughters. I had addresses, but could not find the streets on the maps. The staff knew where even little one or two block streets are located.
Security is very good. The front door to the building is locked at all times. There is a keypad to get onto the hotel floors, then, of course, a key to the room. We left our computers in the room, out of sight, with no problems.
There is a wonderful cupcake shop right across from the hotel (Cup + Cake), many small grocers and restaurants within a one minute walk. There is even a larger grocer (Carrefour) about 5 minutes away. We walked to the beach, we walked to Sagrada Familia, we walked to the Arc de Triumf, and we walked to churches, shops and restaurants.
We found Chic & Basic Tallers a delightful little place to stay in a delightful city! If you are looking for a different kind of experience, if you have more time than money, try Chic & Basic Tallers! I would definitely recommend this to friends and would definitely stay here again, if given the opportunity to visit Barcelona.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family