“Good stay at Hotel Canton!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Canton

Hotel Canton
Ranked #239 of 522 Hotels in Barcelona
“Good stay at Hotel Canton!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2014

We enjoyed staying at this hotel for our first visit to Barcelona!
Pros: great location, friendly staff, rooms were very clean, mini fridge and safe in the room were a big bonus! Great places to eat and drink close by.
Cons: walls were thin- luckily we had quiet neighbours but you could hear everything (punching their key code into their safe, talking, etc.). Also, when the upstairs Neighbor showered it sounded like they were in your room! But I expect this from a budget hotel - just bring your ear plugs! The other negative part was the wifi. We were only able to access it in our room 3/7 days of our visit. But the wifi was always strong in the lobby.

Overall a great hotel for the price! We would stay here again on our next trip!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Parma, Italy
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

The hotel is located just 5 minutes walking from the Ramblas and from the heart of the Barrio Gotico where you will find a lot of restaurants and bars.
Room was very confortable and clean, at the 4th floor; the bathroom had a window and a big shower.
Great value for the price we spent.
Breakfast is 5 €, nothing special but OK.
If i would go back to Barcelona i would definitely go back at Canton.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Ros_Italy
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

Perfect for my sister and me!

Location is excellent- down a quaint little street off of Las Ramblas and only a few minutes from a metro stop. It's really located in the heart of the city. The wifi was great the first 24 hours, but stopped working in our room (on the third floor) after that. It seems like a good place to meet fellow travelers without having to share a room with them.

There was a bit of a wait at the front desk, but the staff was very helpful. Check out was quick, as we had paid beforehand, and they called a cab to take us to our cruise ship.

As others have said, the room was nothing special but perfect for a short, economic, stay. We booked a room for two people that came with three beds! Great for storage. We had our own bathroom that was clean and big enough.

I felt the price was a little high, but didn't want to stay in a group dorm in a hostel. We met someone who had booked his room for 30% less on booking.com and was staying the same nights. I guess that happens though.

Room Tip: I'm not sure if you can choose a room. Our's was on the third floor and we never had any noi...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank trekthehalls
Taupo, New Zealand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014 via mobile

The one great thing about Hotel Canton is its location. It is down by the waterfront and the old streets of Barcelona sit behind it. The actual room was fine. It was not flashy but not so dated that it would put you off. My mother and I were located on the 3rd floor, looking out to the alley way. It wasn't noisy. We opted for the hotel breakfast the first morning at 5 euro each and it was the worse hotel breakfast that we had had on our 4 week journey. It was very very basic. We decided against it the following day. The cleanliness was good. No issues whatsoever there. The bed I had was slightly lumpy but again was ok. The major problem that we had was the wifi. We couldn't get it in our room. This was the one thing that I was insistent that a hotel would have, which it said it did, so I was not happy when we could not get it in our room. Luckily we only had 2 nights at the hotel. To get internet we had to use it in the reception area. That was not ideal, as sitting in the reception area is not private and not the most comfortable of environments, compared with sitting in one's room. The TV in the reception area goes non-stop (and loud) and just bugged me in the end. It was just an average stay for us. Staff ok. It took a long time to get in our room as a couple had just arrived before us. Both my mother and I noted that we didn't seem to get the same treatment (as in welcome) that they did. I am not sure that I would opt to stay there again. For me it was just ok.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
OC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

I selected the Hotel Canton because it was close to La Ramblas and to the ports for our upcoming cruise. When the taxi pulled up to the hotel my parents glared at me and said: what kind of place did you book us in?!?

This hotel is rated one star, however, I usually rely on Tripadvisor reviews which were really high. So I was a little bit nervous that it wouldn't be up to my parents standards until we walked into the lobby and were met by the first of many friendly staff members. The hotel is very accommodating and located in heart of old town, close to all the activities. It is really easy to walk to many historic sites and tons of great restaurants/bars. The breakfast was tasty and reasonably priced. Free wifi was bonus! My parents loved it and were thrilled we stayed here.

Probably the biggest indication of how great this hotel was is the fact that my parents had me cancel reservations at another hotel so we could stay another night at Hotel Canton upon our arrival after the cruise.

Room Tip: I stayed in 202 and it was spacious and the bathroom a good size. Parents stayed in two rooms- one w...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank mojo_girl87
Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014

This was our second visit to this small hotel just off La Rambla. I paid a little bit extra this year for a superior room and the room was bigger as was the bathroom but as we only stayed for 1 night it didn't make a huge difference to us. If I was staying for longer then the extra couple of quid per night would be worth it.
The same staff were on reception as last year and all were very helpful in finding local attractions and restaurants. We didn't take breakfast as we were away very early in the morning. However, there is a drinks machine in the lobby from which you can get a decent coffee for just 1 euro.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank bitelegs
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014

A value for money stay that got the job done. The location of the hotel was great, close to La Ramlas and the gothic quarter where you'll find several decent restaurants. Good sized room, however the walls/doors were paper thin so we could hear people arriving/departing and chatting amongst themselves in the hallway.
There's a building currently being built opposite the hotel but it didn't impact on our experience.
Would recommend to others.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple