“The definition of "tourist-trap"-NEVER visit this place!”
Review of Meson del Cafe

Meson del Cafe
Ranked #3,889 of 9,771 Restaurants in Barcelona
Neighbourhood: Barrio Gotico (Barri Gotic)
Neighbourhood: Barrio Gotico (Barri Gotic)
Thessaloniki, Greece
“The definition of "tourist-trap"-NEVER visit this place!”
Reviewed 2 July 2014

As the review right before explains,I was the one of the two girls who were in the restaurant.But let me narrate our story from the beginning:
We were navigating through the streets in the area,when I noticed this graphic restaurant and told my friends to visit it.We were excited and astonished by the variety of the food it had to offer,which was obviously not only healthy and "clean",but it also looked super delicious. WE asked for the menu and then the problems occured.
1) There was NO menu at all,not even a board with a price list. Each dish had a label with its name on,but no price next to it.We had to ask for everything particularly.
2)From the two people working there (a middle-aged guy with his wife),only the first one knew some words in English.The woman was answering to us in Spanish and her husband was also a waiter,so there was no time for him to explain us the prices his wife was telling us in her native language.
3)We asked -as we had the right to- for the prices of many dishes.After a while,the woman was obviously pissed off.
4)At the end,I ordered a dish for 4,50E,my friend another one for 5E and a salad for both of us,so we headed to our friend,who was escorting us to our trip,on a table close to the toilet.We started flattering and having fun,and after eating we decided it was time to go.
5)At the exit,we asked for our bill. I couldn't find any dish that cost 4,50E (which was mine),because instead there were dishes for 5E each, and I asked the reason why.The explanation given was that there was a discount that day whch the woman forgot to calculate.
7)Since we were sharing the salad with my friend,I asked the guy to pay for my dish and half of the common one.For no reason,he got pissed off and started doing calculations with his pen on the bill,adding 4,50 + 3,50 E from the common plate. My friend remarked that there was no need to use a pen since we had already calculate it,because it's just "simple math". The guy started immediately talking to himself in italian (his native language),obviously cursing my friend.
8) After we finally left the place,I went somewhere else,when my friend came upset and told me she had just been to this restaurant because she had realised she had left her camera there. We went back there together.As the owner had told her before,he invented a story to cover what happened,aka he told us that a couple had cme to our table,had eaten something quickly and then left again,in less than 15' after we had been there.
9)My friend told me that she was suspecting that the owner could have just stolen her camera,but I rejected her idea immediately.
10)We were talking about it outside the place,when a couple came towards us and asked us about the camera we had lost,holding it in their hands!!The reason was simple.
AS SOON AS WE LEFT,THE WOMAN TOOK THE CAMERA AND HID IT CLOSE TO THE STAIRS,WHEN HER HUSBAND-THE OWNER- WAS INVENTING A HUGE LIE TO COVER IT!!!
This behaviour clearly reminds me of the reason why people are talking about the "italian mafia".
p.s.: We are more than grateful to the couple who gave the camera back to us!!!!Thank you again,we wish you nothing but the best,and people around you so nice and kind as you were for us :)

Visited June 2014
4 Thank tzo_rgia

• Korean first
  • Turkish first
Central Greece, Greece
“Owner turned into a thief!”
Reviewed 2 July 2014

I have no words to describe the brazenness of the old man who owns this Reastaurant.. Just after 15 minutes I left this Reastaurant, I reallized that my camera was missing.. I went back asked the owner(who didn't speak any English at all,so some spanish girl was translating for me), and he told me that some other guys had sat at our table, ate something and are already gone! I can't believe that this man created a hole story just to steal my camera and- most important, my photos!
Thanks to some other clients, who saw someone of the staff hiding my camera, i took it back :))))

• Visited June 2014
6 Thank Katerina Z
The Netherlands
“Shocker !”
Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

Never seen anything like this. We entered this really cozy looking bar and a group of two girls and a guy were just leaving from the back area of the bar. They were querying their bill as it seemed they had been overcharged and were obviously upsetting the staff.
They left and we saw their table being cleared. One of the staff went behind the counter and they all smiled and the male - looked like the owner- pointed to a door behind my wife - one of the female staff opened the door and put something in there.
As we were finishing our drinks one of the girls came back, obviously upset looking for her camera which she said she had left there and contained all her holiday memories. The staff said that someone had been at her table and they had no idea.
We had seen that no one had been at that table and that the staff had been the only ones clearing the table. The staff continued to deny it.
Luckily there was a noise going on in the street and I told my wife to have a look behind the door where she saw a camera hidden. I grabbed it and ran out to see the girl who was still upset and outside the front of the bar. She was delighted to see her camera !
The morale of the story - there are many great bars in Barcelona - avoid these thieves at all costs. It was a cold and calculated rip off. Very nasty !

6 Thank Klifff
Copenhagen, Denmark
“Small but very cozy”
Reviewed 28 June 2014

We found this small gem by accident. One glance at their display of tapas, and we went inside. The owner was very nice to present the different tapas of the day in English, as our spanish is limited. We chose the seafood salad, cod in paprika (minced cod unfortunately), and a wonderful chicken croquette on bread with grilled peppers and pesto. Plenty of food for 2, and it all tasted great. The atmosphere is however the best thing! Very lively and friendly place, it really makes you feel like a local. The value for money is excellent. Besides the 3 tapas, we had a few drinks, and we paid less than 20 Euro total. I hope I can find this place again, when I return to Barcelona!

• Visited March 2014
Denver, Colorado
“it's just so inviting!”
Reviewed 31 May 2014 via mobile

we spotted Meson on our way out to a flamenco show last night & were so sad to see it closed on our way home. we had the pleasure of stopping in for dinner tonight though. we were greeted with helpful & friendly staff/bartenders & an amazing selection of tapas, including paella, montaditos, pasta, all sorts of seafood... we had a sausage & pimiento montadito, spinach tortellini, cod stuffed peppers & a couple of beers. it was priced right & clear that the staff takes a personal interest in the food they create & serve. I'll be heading back tomorrow to try their paella. it's a must visit for great, inexpensive food in a welcoming setting.

• Visited May 2014