“Julia and Holly ”

The Patio Barcelona
Ranked #12 of 326 Barcelona B&B and Inns
“Julia and Holly ”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2013 via mobile

We have just returned from a 3 night stay at The Patio and could not have asked for a better B&B. Not only were Liz and Tony welcoming, they made us feel completely at home, recommending things to do and places to eat which were very reasonably priced and had delicious food! We stayed in the double room which was very spacious and cool!!! The shared bathroom was never an issue and always clean, and it was lovely to sit and eat breakfast with the other guests. The location of ThePatio is also fantastic, the metro is located right outside the front door, however if you love to walk like us, the center of Barcelona is easily accessible. A big thank you to Liz and Tony for making our trip absoloutly amazing!

1 Thank Holly J

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
  • Arabic first
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2013

We've been back to Barcelona and stayed once again at the Patio. It's a real pleasure going to a place where you can feel so at home. The photos (uploaded) of entrance to the Patio show why we go back....it's so quiet! Tucked away in the middle of the building, it's a unique location.

B&B's aren't for everyone. You share a bathroom, but with only one other room, it's not a hassle. All the B&B's we've stayed in have shared bathrooms..as they don't have the space or the design is difficult to incorporate en-suite bathrooms

The benefits are the variety of guests you meet that keep you entertained. This time we were lucky to meet an Australian couple who were cycling around Europe. My wife knows all of my stories so she's glad of the chance to hear about other people's.

If you're looking for good value and hosts who seem to save their guests from the numerous scrapes they get into...you can't go wrong with the Patio.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank David074
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2013

My husband and I are regular visitors to Barcelona and have stayed in more than 8 different B&Bs in the city. Last week we tried out The Patio, run by Liz and Tony, and it couldn't have been a better experience. Being Summer time we wanted to escape the hoards of tourists in the old town. The Patio's tucked away location means that, unusually, there's no traffic noise so you're almost guaranteed a good night's sleep. Liz and Tony's calm efficiency creates a relaxed atmosphere where you benefit from really useful local knowledge including excellent restaurant recommendations. It's also one of the best value B&B's around. We'll definitely stay there on our next visit.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Natasha W
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2013

I can't say enough good things about Liz and Tony. They were perfect hosts - always there to help with information, directions, recommendations, reservations, etc but never too present as to make us feel we didn't have privacy. They arranged our transportation to and from the airport, let us check in early since our room was available, and made sure we had breakfast our last day even though we had to leave before the regular breakfast time. The rooms, bathroom and breakfast are are separate from their home by a hallway so it almost feels like you have a whole apartment to yourself. The room was quiet (absolutely no street noise) with a comfortable bed, places for all our luggage and lovely decorations. The bathroom was spotless with fresh towels daily, a hair dryer, and a fresh, pleasant smell and atmosphere. The breakfast room and patio areas are clean, comfy and well appointed with coffee/teas available anytime. We had some bad luck in that our neighbors were in their late teens/early twenties and were out late - making a lot of noise when they came in at night. This, however, was not the fault of our proprietors who run a lovely b&b. Book now and cross your fingers that you have quiet neighbors. Please book somewhere else if you are not a quiet neighbor yourself.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank CordovasTravel
Morro Bay, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2013

Staying at The Patio made all the difference between a "good" visit to Barcelona and a "great" one. Tony meeting us at the airport for an early morning arrival and letting us into The Apartment before check-in time was just the beginning. Their advise on where to have very good food and wine at very good prices was a huge plus. And Liz booking tables for us and giving us advise on how to get around and what to see added to it. All and all, an excellent experience.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2013

Comfortable, Clean, Convenient, Cost-effective: Those are my 4 C's when looking for a place to stay while traveling. If "quiet" started with "C", I'd add that to the list, too. The Patio was all that--and oozes with Charm as well! (What's not to love about beautiful English antiques, tiled ceilings, original brick walls, and breakfast served with a lovely presentation?) Tony and Elizabeth, our delightful hosts, were fantastic from the start, and thought of everything in preparing The Patio as a place of rest and refreshment for their guests. They live in the flat across the hall, and make themselves available in a helpful-but-not-hovering way, magically appearing when we had questions or needed assistance. We landed in Barcelona in the morning, exhausted from travel, and I was so grateful that Tony picked us up from the airport so I didn't have to navigate transportation on my own. (He also returned us to the airport at the crack of dawn a few days later, maintaining a cheerful attitude.) After we got settled at The Patio, he kindly walked me around the corner to the bank so I could exchange money (a better rate than the airport.) Elizabeth is a warm and gracious hostess, offering helpful advice as-needed--including an inexpensive but delicious 3-course dinner recommendation at a nearby hotel, with free champagne for Patio guests. She took pains to accommodate our likes/dislikes with breakfast food, patiently taught me how to make coffee in the French press, and took extra time to help us find our daily destinations on maps that she provided.
But let me get back to the 4 C's:
Comfortable: I'm picky about beds, due to a bad back, and our bed was great-- I slept better at The Patio than I had slept in months! A one-story flat located a residential neighborhood that is tucked into the city, it is quiet at night--no street noise, no people upstairs or next door making noise. All the comforts of home were here, as well as comforts unique to Europe!
Clean: Fresh, fluffy towels, and a sparkling bathroom that didn't have a speck of dirt, dust, or mildew--and was supplied with a hairdryer, a towel warmer, extra toilet paper. Yes, we had to "share" the bathroom with the other guests, but since we only saw them twice (briefly, at breakfast) during our stay, that was a non-issue.
Convenient: Did I mention that The Patio is exactly 45 steps from the entrance to a Metro?(Yes, I counted.) The convenient location was the primary reason I had selected The Patio, since we wanted to see everything from Montjuic Parc to La Sagrada Familia to the Gothic Quarter. We were never on the Metro more than 10 minutes to any destination, often less. As a woman traveling with my daughter, I felt extremely safe at night since we only had to cross the well-lit street to get to our front door.
Cost-effective: "You get what you pay for" is an understatement with the Patio--we got SO much more than we paid for! I am definitely a budget-minded traveler, and the Patio was a bargain in my estimation!
The 5th C: Charming! A picture is worth a thousand words, so take a look at my pictures! I'm a sucker for old English antiques and china, beautiful table linens, and a lovely presentation of food. The warm hospitality of Tony and Elizabeth, combined with the ambiance of the Patio, deliver the message: "Come rest, relax, and be refreshed." If I ever get to Barcelona again, I'll be on their doorstep in a heartbeat! Thank you, thank you, thank you, Elizabeth and Tony!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2013 via mobile

Tjanks to Liz And Tony. Great tips on food, shopping & sightseeing. Picking us up and storing our luggage until we arrived. All part of the service. We stayed in the Loft apartment...walked all over the city and felt safe at all times. 5 fantastic days on Barcelona after a fantastic holiday through Spain.

• Stayed April 2013