“Stay if you are really short on budget and do not want to spend much time at Hostel”
Review of HelloBCN Hostel

HelloBCN Hostel
Reviewed 6 October 2013

After a decent flight landed at Barcelona and headed straight to Hello BCN, here is my experience:

Good points:
Directions were perfect so reached easily
Location is very close Las Ramblas its a great location
Check-in was quick
Bathroom was clean and maintained

Did not feel good about
Stayed for 3 days in private room (best one in the hostel), no bed sheet nor towel changed
Focus was on all paid attractions not much info on Free attractions
Stayed in shared room with bunker bed, next day was supposed to move to Private room, when enquired to show the room, was refused.
Breakfast was same all 3 days and limited options but it was included in room charge.
There is too much of noise over the weekend and can easily disturb your sleep.

Good to stay if you are low on budget and dont plan to spend most of the time at Hostel

Room Tip: Choose a room not facing the road.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank shareef4u
There are newer reviews for HelloBCN Hostel

Reviewed 4 September 2013 via mobile

Hostel is in a great location. Close to Las Ramblas. Was very clean, staff were excellent and really friendly. Hostel organise events evey night which is great. Price is good. Highly recommend this hostel

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed 30 August 2013

I stayed here for 3 nights and quite enjoyed it. The staff were helpful and the free breakfast meant I could make myself lunch to take out for the day too!!
The neighbourhood that the hostel is located in is a bit dodgy but as a single female I never felt unsafe. The key system is a great idea, you get a wristband (for a 10euro deposit) that gets you into the hostel, your room and your locker so security is high.
There is a bar downstairs with board games, card games and table tennis which I loved. There is also a quiet common area on the 1st floor with a tv and DVDs. There's a gym(tiny but still there nonetheless) and laundry. Kitchen is fully equipped and there's a supermarket just around the corner.
Room was squashy but clean (got given clean sheets upon check in) and had air con and wifi.

The only gripe a had was the I was a solo female traveler who was put in a room with a group of 3 males all travelling together. Granted I booked a shared dorm but perhaps some more careful consideration could go into the planning of room mates?

Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Backpacker1994
Reviewed 28 August 2013

We stayed two nights here. Arrived late but it wasn't a problem, the man on reception was friendly and checked us in and gave us all the info we needed. It's a 10euro cash deposit for your wristband which gives you access to the hostel, your room, and your locker in your room.
The lockers are fantastic! They were so big that I could fir my whole pack in there and there was still a bit of room for loose things. We stayed in a 6 bed mixed dorm, and were lucky to have really friendly roomies. The rooms have aircon units, but we had the window open most of the time anyway. Watch your head if you get a bottom bunk, as there isn't enough room to sit up! Standard Ikea bunks though. Room and bathroom were both really clean. The ladies bathroom on our floor had 3 toilets and 3 showers in it. They're push the button showers so you have to keep pushing them to get the water flowing which is a little annoying, but it's only a small thing, and the pressure was good.
There are laundry facilities on level 6 - buy tokens for reception for 3euros per machine, and powder for 0.50c. The dryer on the right didn't dry our stuff properly so not sure what's going on with that, but use the left one if you can!
Breakfast between 8 and 10 in the mornings, cereal, toast, juice, coffee etc all available for free.
There is a gym if you are into that, and there is luggage storage available until 8pm on the day you check out. Plenty of walking tours, pub entries, meals etc organised there too.
Overall we had a good stay here and would definitely recommend it.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 August 2013

I paid 30€ for one night in an 8 bed room here. It was clean, quiet with a decent atmosphere. The breakfast was well stocked, but pretty meager in terms of the variety. The bathrooms had no mats on the floor or anything so the floor was always covered in shower water. I almost slipped every time I went in there. The staff were rude. I had to stand outside after ringing the bell to check in for 5 minutes while the man behind the desk talked on the phone. Once he finally let me in, he didn't say anything and I waited for 10 more minutes just to check in while he was messing around with some papers. Same thing happened with the girl when I wanted to check out. She was outside smoking and talking, not paying attention at all to what was going on at the desk. Also, VERY annoying that they only hold your luggage until 8pm. I needed it until about 8:30 and they said no exceptions.
The common rooms are nice though, and its neat that they have a gym. Over all, I only picked this hostel to be close to the FINA World Championships. When I visit Barcelona again I will go back to my regular hostel Casa Gracia. Which for the same price as this one, I HIGHLY recommend.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 4 August 2013 via mobile

For €27 a night I wasn't really impressed with this hostel. On arrival they took forever to check us in and just handed us a pack of sheets to make up our beds for ourselves.
The shower have bad water pressure and the breakfast is fairly average.
On the plus side the nightlife activities and free pub crawls that the hostel offer are awesome and there is a fantastic common area.
Wifi works in the rooms and the whole hostel is fully air conditioned.
The hostel works on a electronic wristband system so their is added safety for the rooms.
The hostel was fine, just think it was a bit expensive.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 26 July 2013 via mobile

Its a hostel, I was lucky with the roomies, bathrooms are always busy, as well as runners. Very young environment. The beer sold cheap, and has public phones with cheap rates. laundry I found expensive. the staff were very good, always attentive. Breakfast was to be desired. For a hostel is good

• Stayed: September 2012