“Lovely tapas but experience way below par!”
Review of La Bombeta

La Bombeta
Ranked #275 of 9,923 Restaurants in Barcelona
Price range: US$7 - US$22
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Barceloneta
Reviewed 29 March 2014

We searched high and low within the Barceloneta district for this tapas restaurant after seeing it continuously crop up in the 'best tapas in Barcelona' lists online and to be honest, the food quality did live up to expectation - the tapas we ordered was delicious, the menu vast and the time to serve the food nice and quick!

However, service wise the staff could really learn a thing or two. When we arrived the restaurant was busy but there were tables available, however as we were only a party of 2, we were physically stopped from sitting at a table with 4 seats and instead ushered into a small back room where we were placed as the only other table with a private birthday party of 12 people. The atmosphere in this back room was raucous and inappropriate for that of an eating establishment, making it very difficult to make conversation with my partner sat just opposite me.

When we didn't order vast amounts of food (we prefer to order a little tapas, then more if we are still hungry) the mood of the waiting staff instantly changed, they started to speak in Spanish at us, despite having previously asked, in English, if we would like to speak in English or Spanish and really couldn't get us out of the door quickly enough.

Overall, the food was good (but no better than other restaurants we ate at during the trip) but the poor service and unwelcoming atmosphere would prevent me from returning to La Bombeta again.

There are newer reviews for La Bombeta

Reviewed 24 March 2014 via mobile

We went in for a late lunch. So we didn't eat that much. The bombas were seriously delicious. The fried calamari were over fried in my opinion. The waiter looked like he was half asleep, I thought it might be cause it was in the mid of the afternoon. However we passed in front of the restaurant at 9pm and he had the same verve :) but perhaps thats the Spanish relaxed attitude..

Reviewed 26 February 2014

Very good selection of tapas, expecially snails, octopus and chorizo. Sangria was just sufficient.
Service was ok, even if they don't speak english, but toilets are small, smelly and dirty: this is why prices are well below average.

If you want good tapas with friends is perfect. If you want to impress a girl, just go somewhere else.

Reviewed 25 February 2014

I was really excited to eat authentic tapas in Barcelona and after reading great TA reviews, decided to visit La Bombeta on Saturday night.
I liked the fact that it´s loved by locals, no thrills, no credit cards accepted and the quirky signs on the wall the that read “We don´t have Wi-Fi, talk amongst yourselves” - I thought were a cool touch.
However, in regards to food, I felt a bit ripped off. We ordered 4 small croquettes, 2 “Bombas”, a salad, patatas bravas, kalamari, bread and the sausage and bean dish. I had a glass of Rioja and my partner a Coca-Cola.
The croquettes were nice and not sickly, the bombas okay but I was expecting them to be a lot better, salad was an average attempt, the bravas not crispy like they should be, the calamares– big disappointment, lacked freshness and were fried in BATTER!! Yuck, yuck, yuck! – I´m Greek-Cypriot and this is NOT how you make fried calamares! – The sausage came last, a 15 minutes after we finished our meal, after one bite, I got the impression it was very cheap meat as it had grizzle, bones and lumps of fat in it.
The crema catalan was good and tasted how it is meant to.
Service was fairly unfriendly and slow.
My verdict is, there are SO many nice places to eat in Barcelona, and this is certainly not worth wasting an evening of your trip and for the money (That little lot cost just over 50 euros!!), you can eat somewhere a lot better for cheaper- maybe just go for a Bomba and a caña!

Reviewed 14 February 2014 via mobile

You must taste the sea food here especialy the octopus was great, the portions are big so take care how much do you order and the prices are resonable