“Excellent and delightful”

Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Gracia
Reviewed 31 October 2013

Incredible Tapas Bar. Food unexpectedly complex and unreal. Service wonderful. Environment perfect and packed with locals. Price very reasonable. The wine list very good and the staff helped choose a regional wine that was memorable.

Reviewed 23 October 2013 via mobile

Visited Bar Mut in late October with my family.

Good: very nice egg and carpaccio and spinach salad.
Average: food not very hot.
Below average: you don't get to choose what you eat! They bring a selection (taking into account allergies and dislikes).

Overall: recommend if you want to try something different and have broad tastes.

1  Thank Paul_S1501
Reviewed 22 October 2013

We enjoyed one of our best meals in Barcelona (sorry, that's not saying much as I'm not wild about most of the food here) at Bar Mut but a few things bugged us. First, when we made the reservation we were told we'd be sitting at a table. Instead, we earnedt the end of the bar in front of the cash register, so we couldn't see the chef working and couldn't see the case that would have alerted us to the fact that fresh fish was available. Second, our helpful waiter suggested he order for us, and although that's always fun, it did mean we ended up with a heavy, fatty oxtail patty swimming in a pool of pureed potatoes, instead of something like fresh fish that we might have enjoyed, so I do wish I'd been able to see and order from a menu. Third, the service was very slow and the waiter mostly tending to his regulars and finally the bartender took pity and asked if we wanted wine. I'd like to give this a 3.5 star rating but the system only lets me do 3 or 4, so I rounded up.

Also, since the prices weren't marked on the verbal menu, we weren't sure what to expect re: price. The meal was about 95 € (about $130 American dollars) and was one of the more expensive meals enjoyed during our trip to Europe. Not sure I'd rank it in the top tier of meals of my life, though, mostly because of the service, an unfortunate ox tail dish, and a very heavy dessert, but it was not unpleasant and I really do like to see what young creative chefs can do.

We did get a fantastic Burrata and tomato salad and a perfectly grilled squid dish and the Catalan scrambled eggs (crunchy shoestring potatoes, lobster, and raw egg) that were really delicious. So, three out of five dishes were perfect.

Bu then there was that ox tail. Don't get me wrong, I grew up eating stuff like ox tail soup and I always liked the flavor, but now I find a little goes a long way and neither one of us wanted to eat a big chunk of it. It is boiled meat held together with fat and marrow and is just a very heavy dish to have as one of many. And the potatoes have that weird texture of pureed potatoes and were lukewarm and just not to our tastes.

I do think the chef is creative and I wish I'd had a chance to order something I liked instead of that ox tail. I think that if you go and trust yourself and your own tastes and ask about prices you might have a 5-star experience The coffee drinks and wine were excellent. The dessert was a bit much after a heavy meal and I wasn't wild about the amuse bouche beer (you sit down and are given a couple of things--olives and beer-- before you have a chance to climatize--beer) and wouldn't have ordered it and was sorry to see a 5.5€ charge for something I didn't really want not appreciate.

Reviewed 22 October 2013

I was at Bar Mut a few years ago at the recommendation of some foodies I was traveling with. It was fantastic then and just as great now.

It's actually quite a casual environment where the waiters don't take themselves too seriously and are really helpful when it comes to what to eat. The only thing to remember is that the menu is quite limited to what the chef is preparing that day but I encourage you to trust the sensibilities and palate of the chef.

You won't be disappointed!

Reviewed 20 October 2013

We arrived hungry at 11:00pm at Bar Mut and it did not disappoint us.This tiny gem of a restaurant was recommended by a local and it was superb. We had amazing clams, mussels, salads, dessert and everything in between, all at a lovely outdoor table with excellent service. Our waiter explained everything in English and helped us make selections. The meal was expensive, but we felt that it was worth every penny.The restaurant is located in a quiet residential neighborhood not far La Pedrera.