“Innovative and delicious”

Ranked #613 of 10,000 Restaurants in Barcelona
Cuisines: Spanish, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Hisop, the love child of two former Neichel chefs, Oriol Ivern and Guillen Pla, is slightly beyond the Eixample district, and their cuisine is slightly beyond the normal boundaries, as well. The restaurant itself is somewhat monastic with high ceilings and test-tube vases on white walls, each containing a single rose. Yet the ambience at Hisop is lighthearted and relaxed. The dishes are small, intensely flavoured and beautifully presented. The menu is misleadingly simple, 'squab' might be squab with pear puree and tomato confit served with a selection of three different salts and five different peppers. Great carte includes many wines of the region.
Reviewed 20 October 2013

We enjoyed a fabulous meal at Hisop. I always look for unusual, off-the-beaten path Michilen starred restaurants and I am thrilled that I found Hisop. Located in an emerging neighborhood, I am happy to say that we were the only tourists in the restaurant. We decided on the tasting menu which was superb, but also requested small samples of some of the a la carte offerings which the chef was happy to provide. The service was excellent and the staff could not have been more accommodating when we asked to change our reservation to a later time as our day had stretched longer than we expected. Hisop is a jewel in the oft-over crowded and touristy upscale dining scene in Barcelona. Don't miss it!

2  Thank travelhappyinphilly

Reviewed 14 October 2013

On our recent trip to Barcelona we were mostly underwhelmed by the food. that is, until we ate at Hisop.

To begin with, the service was not the lackadaisical type we had come to expect in Barcelona. From the moment we sat down out was attentive but not obtrusive. Unlike many Barcelona restaurants, water and menus came right away and drink orders were taken and served promptly.

We eat out at fine restaurants frequently but we found the menu at Hisop to be original and well thought out. As we thought that there would be too much food with the tasting menu, we ordered a la carte - appetizer, main and dessert - yet the many extras supplied with the meal lead to a full dining experience. Before our appetizers there was an amuse bouche and two pre-appetizers. One of them was an oyster. Since my wife does not like oysters, the restaurant provided her with a small portion of the 'After Eight' foie gras which was my appetizer of choice. We had been a little leary of the combination of foie gras with mint and chocolate shavings but we are still raving about it. For mains I had hake and my wife had the pork. Neither of us could decide which we liked best and devoured it. The main course was followed by a citrusy ice to clear the palate before dessert. The desserts were followed up with little small teasers served on frozen stones. These were so original that my wife finally had to take out her camera to photograph them - carrot shavings with caramel that looked like small sushi and sweet olives were two hits.

All in all a great experience which we will be happy to follow up next time we are in Barcelona

1  Thank Ken G
Reviewed 4 October 2013

I’ve been longing to go, and it didn’t disappoint. Wonderful ambiance, beautiful interior, and attentive staff. I had the tasting menu. First course was baby squid with yuzu. It was excellent. Second course was sardine tartar with mustard gelato. The gelato was exquisite, but I have never been one to like sardines. Anchovies, yes, but sardines, not so much. Third course was sliced tuna on a hamburger roll. It was creative, simple, and tasted like the sea. The fourth dish was definitely my favorite – raw prawn meat with marcona almonds and sliced black truffle – heaven. Fifth was perfectly cooked mullet (though I think it was actually goatfish) topped with a fried zucchini flower. The main course was tender lamb with rosemary and some sort of a kaffir-type cheese. The dessert was a watermelon, cucumber, & basil slush, with marinated olives rolled in powdered sugar. Chef Oriol Ivern was kind enough to come outside to meet us, which made for an amazing conclusion.

1  Thank JAB1985
Reviewed 2 October 2013

It's a minimalist designed restaurant with great service! We tried the tasting menu without wine match, but the lady chosen for us a very nice bottle of catalanian red wine which is matching the food very well! We love it and had recommended friends to come!

2  Thank So_Winnie
Reviewed 2 October 2013

My boyfriend and I went in February 2013 for his birthday. We hadn't planned to go to a particular restaurant so in the hotel tried our luck at actually googling 'Michelin star restaurants in Barcelona' and tried calling a few of the more reasonably priced ones incase they weren't fully booked for that night. Hisop was the last one we tried before losing hope. And it did not disappoint! We ended up opting for the tasting menu and the food was absolutely sublime! It was different and exciting - all the unusual flavours expertly complemented each other. The star of the show was definitely wood pigeon in chocolate... Out of this world! Also, the service could not be faulted. The staff were so observant (yet not obtrusive at all!) that every single time we finished a course or glass of water or wine there was someone there within about 5 seconds clearing our table or topping up our glasses. It was an absolute pleasure! We would highly recommend this restaurant and would love to go back!

2  Thank rebeccadodds1